Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 1:41:57 PM EDT
I have at this time, a centrel heat and air system, heat is natural gas.

My furnace is only 6 years old, BUT can use alot of gas, and I would like to lower my monthly heating bill.

With the rising price of natural gas, I am looking for a more efficent method to heat the house, approx 1300sqft. The house is 6 years old, and well insulated.

I also have a 3 burner Comfort Glow radiant heater, wall mounted. I installed this as a way to have back up heat, in case of power outage in the winter, hey it happens....

It will heat, BUT does not have a thermostat, it is allways on, or off...

I am currently looking at a Blue Flame vent free heater, wall mount, that will heat 1000sqft. This model also has a thermostat to turn itself on and off.

I am leaning towards replacing the 3 burner unit with the Blue Flame unit.

My questions are,

1: Which is more efficent, radiant heat or the blue flame model?

2: I cannot remember, but one model will heat the air, and the other heatsobjects, I beleive the rtadiant heater heats objects, is this correct?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Forget all that crap, just set the couch on fire.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Forget all that crap, just set the couch on fire.

Tried that once, it worked for a little while, but when it stopped burning, I got cold again.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
close the grage door and run the heater on you car

there are also used oil burning heaters out there.  thats what I use on my shop all the used oil from oil changes heats the shop
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Try looking into pellet stoves. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I heard some people talking about them saying how great they are.

Just from casually looking at them they seem to be pretty nice, but like I said I'm no expert, so I don't know what, if any, drawbacks they might have.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if you are capable of it, but wood heat is the only way to go...

FMO
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
in our basement we have nice wood burning fireplace that is conected to the furnace. just turn the furnace fan on and stoke the fire.  on night I decide I didn't want to stoke the fire so I FILLED the firebox. man did I sweat that night I woke up and the thermostat upstairs was pegged at 99 degrees. Speaking of fireplace I need to start finding some more for this winter
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The normal body temperature of rabbits is about 105 F.  

Put about 500 rabbits in your basement.  Their heat will rise and warm your house.  Put your wife in charge of their care.  Plus, as they multiply and their numbers start to grow, you can feed upon them and sell their pelts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't see how your using alot of gas in a 1300sq ft home with an HVAC system.

I would suppliment with wood or pellets, but make sure its an actaul cast iron and not an insert.

It is not alot of gas I am using, BUT the cost of natural gas, I am paying over 150% what I was paying 6 years ago. So I am trying to get as much heat as I can, while using less natural gas.

Example, when I moved in the house in 1998, that winter my average gas bill was $35.

Last winter, my gas bills were $150....that is the problem.

As for now wood is out, as well as a pellot stove, although I may install a wood burning stove in a year or two.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The normal body temperature of rabbits is about 105 F.  

Put about 500 rabbits in your basement.  Their heat will rise and warm your house.  Put your wife in charge of their care.  Plus, as they multiply and their numbers start to grow, you can feed upon them and sell their pelts.

I am a OKIE, we dont have basements here...

We have STORM SHELTERS....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top