Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2002 6:21:28 AM EDT
I have been meaning to write a post on this, and had almost forgotten.
On October 2nd, my family and I were in Arlington for my grandfather's funeral.  He was cremated, and interred at Arlington National Cemetary.  He was a WWII bomber pilot, and flew the B-24's over Germany.  He had read Ambrose's book shortly before he died, and told all of us that it was very much accurate and as he remembered.
The reason I am posting is not to tell you all that my grandfather is dead, or what a great person he was, or for sympathy for myself.  I wanted to tell you all about the service at Arlington.
Simply, it was amazing.  I don't know how many of you have been to a funeral service at Arlington, but it is a major event.  There must have been at least 50 Airforce personnell involved; hell they outnumbered my family!
There was a horse drawn carriage, with a flag draped casket that carried the urn with his ashes in it.  We followed this carriage, with an honor guard, down to the place where they inter the ashes (I forget the proper name of the structure).  At this point the ashes were carried up to a small gazebo, where the ceremony was held.  There they folded the flag, a few words were said, and there was a 21 gun salute.  We then walked back to the crypt, where my grandmother placed the urn with the ashes inside.  A few more words were said, and the service was over.
I really am not doing the whole thing justice, but suffice it to say it was an amazing experience, and certainly befitting all who did what they did in our armed services.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch the movie "Gardens of Stone" sometime...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I am glad to hear that, [b]norman74[/b].

You did not come for sympathy, but I give it anyway.  God bless you and yours, and my deepest gratitude for the actions of your grandfather.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been meaning to write a post on this, and had almost forgotten.
On October 2nd, my family and I were in Arlington for my grandfather's funeral.  He was cremated, and interred at Arlington National Cemetary.  He was a WWII bomber pilot, and flew the B-24's over Germany.  He had read Ambrose's book shortly before he died, and told all of us that it was very much accurate and as he remembered.
The reason I am posting is not to tell you all that my grandfather is dead, or what a great person he was, or for sympathy for myself.  I wanted to tell you all about the service at Arlington.
Simply, it was amazing.  I don't know how many of you have been to a funeral service at Arlington, but it is a major event.  There must have been at least 50 Airforce personnell involved; hell they outnumbered my family!
There was a horse drawn carriage, with a flag draped casket that carried the urn with his ashes in it.  We followed this carriage, with an honor guard, down to the place where they inter the ashes (I forget the proper name of the structure).  At this point the ashes were carried up to a small gazebo, where the ceremony was held.  There they folded the flag, a few words were said, and there was a 21 gun salute.  We then walked back to the crypt, where my grandmother placed the urn with the ashes inside.  A few more words were said, and the service was over.
I really am not doing the whole thing justice, but suffice it to say it was an amazing experience, and certainly befitting all who did what they did in our armed services.
View Quote

My family and I thank your Grandfather's courage and strength.

I will recall him as I drive past Arlington daily.

Our thanks will never end.

the Wofse/Silverstein/Fontanez family
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top