PSA
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:43:24 AM EST
onlineathens.com/stories/071808/news_2008071800326.shtml

Man jailed over gun in UGA hotel
Visiting for conference
By Joe Johnson | joe.johnson@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 11:37 PM on Thursday, July 17, 2008

An Albany man who came to town for a conference was arrested on a felony charge and jailed for more than 18 hours because he had a gun in his hotel room.

Eric Dewayne Baylis, 45, said he didn't know that the hotel was owned by the University of Georgia, which put him in violation of a state law forbidding weapons within school safety zones.

Baylis, a maintenance worker with the Albany Housing Authority, was attending a four-day conference for the Georgia Housing Authority and Redevelopment Authority, held at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education Conference Center & Hotel on South Lumpkin Street.

His employers made the lodging arrangements and he had no idea the hotel is owned by UGA.

"I actually didn't know (it) was campus property," Baylis said Thursday, soon after posting a $2,000 bond to get out of jail.

"I carry my gun with me when I'm on the road traveling, and I took it out of my suitcase and just left it on the bed," Baylis said. "When the maid went through the room cleaning it and saw it, she told the manager, who called campus security."

Georgia Center Director Bill Crowe said the hotel will immediately change the form guests receive at check-in, paperwork that lists forbidden items and activities, like smoking.

"We are going to correct that," Crowe said. "I hate that the guy got arrested. We could have given him better information when he checked in."

During a lunch break Wednesday, Baylis got a call from the front desk that the police wanted to speak with him, he said.

Officers didn't lecture him on gun laws or allow him to move the pistol from his room to his car; they arrested Baylis and took him to the Clarke County Jail.

He was booked on a charge of possession of a weapon on school property about 6 p.m. Wednesday and bonded out at 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

Whether the man made an honest mistake or intentionally broke the law is a question to be decided in court, according to UGA Police Lt. Lisa Boone.

"The court can make whatever determination it wishes, but the Georgia Center is university property and in a school safety zone," Boone said.

More than 19,000 people attended conferences at the Georgia Center last year, and most stayed at least one night in the hotel, according to Crowe.

In the past, police didn't arrest guests who mistakenly brought weapons into the UGA-owned hotel, but now officers take no chances because gun violence on school grounds has been on the rise, according to Crowe.

"Historically, the police would walk them with their belongings to their cars, but not anymore, with all of the things that have been happening on campuses," he said.

Baylis said he made an honest mistake and didn't deserve to be arrested. He hopes his case will be dismissed when he returns to Athens for court Aug. 12.

And the way police handled the mistake has soured his feelings toward UGA.

"The campus security overdid it," he said. "Needless to say, I'm a Georgia Tech fan now."

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 071808

OK, dumb move to leave a firearm in a hotel room for the maid to find, but still...............
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:47:54 AM EST
I guess it's a good thing they arrested him before he got to go on his student-killing rampage...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:50:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:45 AM EST
Hopefully the court will go easy on him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By PeaceKeepr:

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:54:05 AM EST

Still a felony charge. He just lost the right to vote or possess firearms.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:55:36 AM EST
He may have a decent legal challenge based on Heller. It is one thing to prohibit firearms in sensitive government building, e.g. court houses, White House, Congress, etc., but it is a entirely different issue in a state owned hotel.

(Yes, I know that Heller doesn't apply to the states at present, but I think we can safely assume it will shortly).

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:57:03 AM EST
"Officers didn't lecture him on gun laws or allow him to move the pistol from his room to his car; they arrested Baylis and took him to the Clarke County Jail."

Why can't cops let the guy fix the situation?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:00:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:04:41 AM EST
Keep in mind, we just had legislation go into effect July 1 that increases the places where CCW permit holders CAN carry, including public transportation, restaurants (not bars) that serve alcohol, AND the ability to keep weapons in our cars at work on employers private property.

Again, STUPID ass move to leave it where the maid can find it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:05:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Originally Posted By peekay:
"Officers didn't lecture him on gun laws or allow him to move the pistol from his room to his car; they arrested Baylis and took him to the Clarke County Jail."

More than likely they have orders to arrest everyone with a gun on the property.

Zero tolerance, ain't it great?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:06:21 AM EST

Posted at the entrance of a hotel in Dallas I recently stayed at. I carried anyway.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/218020694917.jpg

Guy was a dumbass for leaving his weapon laying on the bed.

That's good, because in this state, that sign doesn't mean shit if you have a concealed carry license. The state requires that a sign called the 30.06 (naturally) sign be posted in both english and spanish in 1" high letters. Any deviation from this and it doesn't mean shit.
That mickey mouse sign you photographed, just means if they see your firearm, they can tell you to leave. That's all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:06:34 AM EST
Why in the blue fuck would you leave a firearm on the bed in plain view of the staff anyway? Were you looking to have it stolen?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:06:58 AM EST

More than likely they have orders to arrest everyone with a gun on the property.

Another victory for zero tolerance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:09:33 AM EST

Posted at the entrance of a hotel in Dallas I recently stayed at. I carried anyway.

Aren't you an LEO? I didn't think the CCW laws applied because of HR 218.

And I agree the guy was an idiot for leaving his gun out for the maid to see.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:12:11 AM EST

Just following orders.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:17:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 4:25:37 AM EST by chadjetlag]

Cop was being a dick..period, orders or not he could have made this go away if it was his buddy or relative.. Guy was an idiot for leaving the gun..period. If it's not posted how was he to know it was school property? I'd get a good lawyer. I expect we will see a lot more of this type of thing, strict enforcement and harsh punishment, as a reaction to HB89.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:30:05 AM EST

Wha? And have the cops miss out on a raise or promotion for bringing this terrorist down? Ain't gonna happen!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:36:42 AM EST
I ignore those signs pretty regularly. You can't do much in a hotel anymore it seems.

No weapons, no smoking, no hookers and blow. What gives?

Anyway the smart thing to do is never let anyone in the hotel know you have firearms, ammo, etc. Remove them from the room and take them with you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:36:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 4:40:41 AM EST by douglasmorris99]
as a Hotelier..

when you rent a hotel room it is your abode..
you home,
your cave
your cramped quarters etc..

ITS YOUR HOUSE

you can do what you damn well please in YOUR HOUSE
goddamn marxist assholes taking over this counrty

the law is the law..
IF BIG HONKING If there is a statement on the room check in paper work no guns, drugs, hookers under 15 plainly stated and you rent the room

IT IS YOUR ROOM,

if it PLAINLY STATES the Innkeeper Requests etc you dont posses these things on his property,,THEN you may be breaking the law...Generally you will be asked ONCE to check out,,
then JohnLaw is called to remove you for breaking the hoteliers Rule, which will be,,YOU WERE ASKED To LEAVE HENSE THE LAW BROKEN IS TRESSPASSING, NOT GUN POSSESSION
BUT..by then your shit should be packed and on the way out and the police will need a warrent to get in your car, suitcase etc..

the above sign in Dallas no guns no smokeing etc..is BS if you have a CHL it would be nothing to you unless it is a 30,06 sign If you are carrying a gun Ileglly as it is,,NO CHL,,you would be breaking the Public Laws and fuck the owner of the sign

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:38:57 AM EST
Left it on the bed?
Cmon now. Consider this a cheap lesson in stupidity, it should be
painful.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:39:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Still a felony charge. He just lost the right to vote or possess firearms.

CHARGE <.not equal.> CONVICTION
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:46:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:48:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:38:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By bwheeler111:

Yes. But I still found it interesting to see the sign. Also in order fall under HR 218 you have to have your badge and ID card with you. I just use my civilian permit when I travel.

I am curious why. Wouldn't it make things easier for you if you used your weapon while traveling to show your LE ID and/or badge? Again, just curious.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:40:37 AM EST
This is America.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:41:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:42:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 5:50:15 AM EST by John_Wayne777]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:43:18 AM EST
Don't like the laws, vote to change them. Otherwise they should be enforced...

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:44 AM EST
zero tolerance = zero intelligence
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 5:50:50 AM EST by John_Wayne777]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:25 AM EST
This whole thing is full of stupid.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:48:34 AM EST

How does the last cop arrest himself?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:49:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:04:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By thompsondd:

"I carry my gun with me when I'm on the road traveling, and I took it out of my suitcase and just left forgot about it on the bed," Baylis said.

Corrected for dude
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:05:17 AM EST

Yes. But I still found it interesting to see the sign. Also in order fall under HR 218 you have to have your badge and ID card with you. I just use my civilian permit when I travel.

If I'm not mistaken, that sign is invalid and or inadequate in TX. I'm pretty sure there is a very specific sign they have to post.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:05:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
as a Hotelier..

when you rent a hotel room it is your abode..
you home,
your cave
your cramped quarters etc..

ITS YOUR HOUSE

you can do what you damn well please in YOUR HOUSE

See . . . that's exactly what I thought - until the NY State Police informed me otherwise!

My wife and I recently made a road trip to NY. Prior to leaving, I thought it'd be a good idea to call the police and make sure I could transport my handgun (however the law required), yet be able to have it handy in our hotel rooms - since, as mentioned above, a hotel room is generally considered to be like one's home, legally.

Well, well! The trooper shot down that idea, right quick! He said it is not legal to have a handgun in my possession: under any circumstances (dis-assembled or not), in NY state (!) and I would be arrested and charged if I was found out.

Oddly enough, he said I could carry any length knife I wanted and/or any kind of pepper-spray - wherever I was!

I thought that was utter bullshit. But, I didn't think it'd make for a good vacation to Niagara Falls,:being arrested on a weapons violation and leaving my wife alone and vulnerable!

I'm glad we got to see the falls and all (despite the fact it was record cold temps and record rainfall - and we were on my Softail Custom!). But, I can't see us making anymore trips to NY - ever. Hell! Even Maryland said it was okay to travel through the state with a weapon - so long as it wasn't assembled and the ammo was stored separately!

WTF?!?

That's about the only thing I hate about living in PA - I'm surrounded by anti-freedom states!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:11:53 AM EST

Actually 'bama, anyone can ignore that sign in Texas. Texas requires specific language, in a specific large point font, in English and Spanish, in order to be effective. That is not a 30.06 compliant sign and may be ignored entirely.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:15:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By CasualObserver:

If I'm not mistaken, that sign is invalid and or inadequate in TX. I'm pretty sure there is a very specific sign they have to post.

They probably have the 30.06 sign up too, just not in the picture...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:22:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Torf:
Don't like the laws, vote to change them. Otherwise they should be enforced...

Can't wait till your rifle Malfs and goes FA, great to know that it will be considered an Illegal Machine. Then spout the same shit about enfocing the law.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:32:18 AM EST

Ja, und we haf tu folo ze orderz...

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:45:46 AM EST
That’s true, I agree 100%

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > 242 Deprivation of rights under color of law
Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

Arresting someone for exercising their Constitutionally guaranteed Rights amounts to kidnapping, and considering what happens to people in prison, it can also be considered attempted sexual abuse and an attempt to kill.

According to the LAW you can be sentenced to death for that.

Sucks to be them but the law says the officers have to be executed for their crime… Fortunately they won’t be alone since everyone who voted for that law in the legislature, and everyone who helps to enforce it will also have to be executed.

The law’s the law. If you don’t like it, change it...

The point is not that we need to go hanging a bunch of people. The point is that a zero tolerance policy on enforcing any law results in tyranny. Laws are supposed to reflect a moral code that’s inherent in the fabric of the universe. If enforcing a written law doesn’t serve the moral law then it’s immoral to enforce the written law.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:36 AM EST
The victim of tyranny in this case was fully excerscising his constitutional rights and
is being railroaded. All gunowners should be fully aware that you can be arrested and charged with a felony AT ANYTIME AND FOR ANY REASON!!!!!!! The power elites who run this country have realized that banning firearms is utterly futile so their next step is to felonize as many people as possible. The war on drugs is the natural precedent that they will follow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:56:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Grunteled:
Why in the blue fuck would you leave a firearm on the bed in plain view of the staff anyway? Were you looking to have it stolen?

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:09:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:09:51 AM EST

I'm sure there's a bill pending in the statehouse right now which will give police the leeway to not arrest people for carrying a weapon on public school property.

Matter of fact, let's give police the leeway to let anyone "fix the situation" after they're caught committing a felony.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:13:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By jwr6:

I'm sure there's a bill pending in the statehouse right now which will give police the leeway to not arrest people for carrying a weapon on public school property.

Matter of fact, let's give police the leeway to let anyone "fix the situation" after they're caught committing a felony.

Discretion. Look it up. Those of us in LE that have a brain exercise it regularly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:20:35 AM EST

You ARE talking about the UGA police department. Yes, I have 4 years of firsthand experience with them.

That said, he was a supreme dumbass. If a 15 minute drive through the UGA campus to get there didnt clue him in, it is called the "University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education Conference Center and Hotel". It isnt the Holiday Inn Express. Nice place too, I have stayed there numerous times for football games.

Hopefully the judge will let him off.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:26:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By spd2230:

Discretion. Look it up. Those of us in LE that have a brain exercise it regularly.

Good to know that those of you in LE with a brain are "using discretion" instead of enforcing the law that I voted to enact and pay you to enforce. I feel so much better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:43:25 AM EST
SCOTUS struck down the school zone gun ban once already, then the seditionist passed nearly the exact same "law", with only a couple of words changed.

VERY similar to Heller and D.C. in that regard.

With enough money this guy could be the case to get the victim disarmament zones nullified again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:46:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By spd2230:

Good to know that those of you in LE with a brain are "using discretion" instead of enforcing the law that I voted to enact and pay you to enforce. I feel so much better.

If you are ever in IL and fuck up, even a little bit, then request me to respond and I will gladly fuck you over per your request. Jagoff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top