Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 12:13:20 PM EDT
Is there anything over the counter that is good for allergy relief? I need something until I get in to see the doctor.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Coricidin.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can find it, try Tavist D(pretty sure they pulled all of it off the shelf though)
Also, you may want to try BC Allergy*Sinus*Cold Powders (they come in boxes like BC Powders but the box is red instead of blue.  They work great for me.

EDIT: To say...Allergies can kiss my [moon]!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
benadryl will work just fine but will make you a little drowsy. Sudafed can be added for congestion and hot showers will give some temporary relief of congestion as well.

FWIW, benadryl, though old, works very well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife suffers BAD!! She use's a product with psuedo-epidrine in it (30mg pill, get the generic, cheaper). Just started using a saline solution nasal spray to clean out sinuses and schnaazola, seems to work better than sprays with medication in them....
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My wife suffers BAD!! She use's a product with psuedo-epidrine in it (30mg pill, get the generic, cheaper). Just started using a saline solution nasal spray to clean out sinuses and schnaazola, seems to work better than sprays with medication in them....
View Quote

pseudoephedrine is Sudafed, FWIW. It is a decongestant, not an anti-histamine which we use for allergies. If she is having that much of a problem her doc could probably make her feel MUCH better.

I did a few posts here last year on this topic and covered it extnsively in case anyone is interested. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I stick my head in a bag!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Claritin is upposedly going OTC soon, though I heard tthe manufacturer is fighting it because they are making too much money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I second the BENADRYL recommendation.  Probably the best thing you can get w/o script.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Benadryl is the STRONGEST you can get. Over the counter or by percription.  It just has that little side effect of putting you to sleep.  Remember that everyones body is different, and all drugs will have different effects.  

It does not work for me for an allery that I have at work, but does for everything else.  For work I use Clairatin.  By the way, the Clairinex that is comming out is a slightly different form of Claritin, they are just trying to keep getting money off the patent.  It is 95% the same drug, if you use Clairatin and it works, go with the generic when it comes out soon.

(In case you wondered, my wife is a pharmacist.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If your "stuffed up" use a cheaper store brand pump spray Oxymetazoline HCI 0.05%.  Read the warnings and be aware if you use this stuff too much, it will create a burning sensation in your nose.  You also have to spray in just the right spot to get the effect.  This stuff works great for the bedside stand at night when the nose seems to really get plugged.  Temporary relief only by the way.

If you got the runny nose problem, can't help you out.

Using saline spray in between sometimes works too, so you don't have to use as much of the above expensive spray.

Sudafed or some of the store brand equivalents sometimes work for a few hours, but as drj. notes, it really doesn't solve the real problem long term.

Some day I'll go see the doc and see if Flonase or something will work for me.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I have lived with allergies all my life. Claritin is good. I am also trying honey...yes the stuff bees make. I have heard honey, made locally, can help relieve allergic reactions to the local plants. So I found a local guy with some hives and bought some honey. It is too soon to tell but what the heck honey is cheaper than Claritin. I might add I also have some Claritin on hand should the honey concept fail.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The best luck I had was a combination of Allegra-D and Flonase, but this year even that doesn't seem to work very well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Sudafed worked great for me for about two years, then just stopped having any effect at all, like someone threw a switch. Later, Allegra did the same thing to me. I guess my beak just built up a tolerance for it.

When you get in to see the doc, ask for Zyrtec. That's what I switched to from Allegra, and it works great.

[b]Warning:[/b] Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. Not to be taken internally. Consult your physician. Do not eat dessicant packet. This end up. Authorized personnel only. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. Keep away from children. Do not spray towards open flame. Do not puncture or incinerate. If rash develops, discontinue use. Avoid contact with eyes. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top