Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/2/2006 6:11:51 AM EST
So I went to the doctor's office yesterday for the allergy skin test, so I could determine what exactly I am allergic to. This time of year usually messes me up, and it sucks, because this is THE nicest time of year to be outside. Well, this and Spring. I had figured on ragweed and most likey fall Elm.

They do the scratch tests... then the subdermal tests... and, geeze, it turns out I'm allergic to:

Mountain cedar, cottonwood, elm, cedar, hickory, pecan, oak, sycamore, bahia grass, Bermuda grass, Johnson grass, marsh elder, pigweed, ragweed, Russian thistle, peanut, ash, hackberry, mesquite, mulberry, black willow, cocklebur, sage, a bunch of molds, cats, dogs and birds.

I even had a 'systemic reaction' to one or more of the subdermal tests. THAT was fun. Actually, I just got a bit more stuffed up than I was, sneezed a few times and my eyes itched a little. They gave me some liquid antihistamine... when that didn't work, they had to follow protocol (to prevent me from going into anaphylactic shock... yeah, a runny nose will turn into sudden death!!) and gave me a shot of epinephrine. (for those that don't know, it's pretty much adrenaline! Gets your heart pumping so your blood will filter out the bad stuff quicker) Then they had to have me sit in a little exam room for TWO HOURS, checking my blood pressure and pulse every 5 minutes. About an hour and a half into it, they gave me some prednisone (a steroid) just to make sure my lungs didn't collapse on me or something.

Geeze, my nose got a little runny, that's all! I do understand the caution, though... in our litigiously happy society, they're covering their asses.

So I had the whole day off yesterday, and decided to just come home and chill... because I do feel a little weird after the epi shot... like a sprinted a few hundred meters or something!

Now to decide if I want to do the shots... three to four years of weekly shots... but the good side is, after that, I should be IMMUNE to all of those allergens!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:17:05 AM EST
On the upside you are not allergic to beer.
Or Pie.

The rest can be managed!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:20:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
On the upside you are not allergic to beer.
Or Pie.

The rest can be managed!

You got that right! ;)
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:20:35 AM EST
You poor bastard-you're allergic to some of the best woods for smoking meats!
Hickory,mesquite,oak,pecan... The BBQ of death!
It could be worse. You could be allergic to apple like one of my co-workers,or to a bunch of common foods. Peanuts are easy to avoid.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:24:34 AM EST
Good thing hookers and blow isnt on there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:31:42 AM EST
I have a strange allergy in that nobody can figure out what it is. We know I'm mildly allergic to ragweed, but whatever causes my throat to swell is beyond current medical science.

Epi sucks. It hurts when injected subcutaneously and then you're pretty much wired for at least an hour afterwards, though remarkably my BP only increased a few points and my heart rate increased only slightly from a .03mg injection. The doctor was a little surprised when he checked.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:31:44 AM EST
Matthew, hang in there. The Houston plants did not agree with me at all when I moved here about 10 years ago. After suffering for a while, my doctor prescribed Claritin for me (it is over the counter now and a lot cheaper) and it takes care of just about everything that was bothering me. It does make me thirsty, but I do take it everyday. My doctor said that it works for only about one-third of those affilicted. Good luck mate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:36:19 AM EST
I feel your pain man. My doctor won't let me get tested, though. Stupid HMOs. I never had allergies until about 5-6 years ago. Now I spend all year barely able to breath. I'm not always snotting, have watery eyes, etc. but I have constant nasal congestion. Nothing works, either. I've tried all the stuff like Claritin, Allega, Nasonex, Flonase, etc. You name it I've tried it. It royally sucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:06:32 AM EST
i had to do the shots for bee stings and it was not bad. they are tiny needles and not painful at all the most annoying part was waiting 15 minutes after to make sure i did not have a bad reaction.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:16:46 AM EST
If your mom didnt raise you such a mommas boy and let you go out and play with the rest of the kids you wouldnt have this problem.

Being sheltered from all the bugs and germs in the world have made you into a immunological pussy.

Kids need to share their snot and germs. It makes you stronger in the long run and weeds out the poor genetic stock.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:28:27 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:32:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By Waldo:

Originally Posted By PePeLePew:
If your mom didnt raise you such a mommas boy and let you go out and play with the rest of the kids you wouldnt have this problem.

I grew up in the boonies and stayed outside. Didn't make any difference.

Ah but it does. Having exposure to the elements outside is good but what really hones your immune system is exposure and past illnesses contracted from others. Because you were in the boonies you didnt come across a lot of sick people.

People who live isolated and in sterile environments have a heck of time with allergies and sickness.

Being sick works your immune system and develops it to fight allergies and illness.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:39:15 AM EST
My Dad's allergies have gotten real bad lately. He's allergic to Wheat, Rice, Pork, Tomatoes, Strawberries, Nuts and Choclate. He can't eat anything with any of these as ingredients or he starts itching everywhere. Anything with even a hint of any of this stuff sets off his allergies.

It sucks trying to go out to eat with him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:19:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
So I went to the doctor's office yesterday for the allergy skin test, so I could determine what exactly I am allergic to. This time of year usually messes me up, and it sucks, because this is THE nicest time of year to be outside. Well, this and Spring. I had figured on ragweed and most likey fall Elm.

They do the scratch tests... then the subdermal tests... and, geeze, it turns out I'm allergic to:

Mountain cedar, cottonwood, elm, cedar, hickory, pecan, oak, sycamore, bahia grass, Bermuda grass, Johnson grass, marsh elder, pigweed, ragweed, Russian thistle, peanut, ash, hackberry, mesquite, mulberry, black willow, cocklebur, sage, a bunch of molds, cats, dogs and birds.

I even had a 'systemic reaction' to one or more of the subdermal tests. THAT was fun. Actually, I just got a bit more stuffed up than I was, sneezed a few times and my eyes itched a little. They gave me some liquid antihistamine... when that didn't work, they had to follow protocol (to prevent me from going into anaphylactic shock... yeah, a runny nose will turn into sudden death!!) and gave me a shot of epinephrine. (for those that don't know, it's pretty much adrenaline! Gets your heart pumping so your blood will filter out the bad stuff quicker) Then they had to have me sit in a little exam room for TWO HOURS, checking my blood pressure and pulse every 5 minutes. About an hour and a half into it, they gave me some prednisone (a steroid) just to make sure my lungs didn't collapse on me or something.

Geeze, my nose got a little runny, that's all! I do understand the caution, though... in our litigiously happy society, they're covering their asses.

So I had the whole day off yesterday, and decided to just come home and chill... because I do feel a little weird after the epi shot... like a sprinted a few hundred meters or something!

Now to decide if I want to do the shots... three to four years of weekly shots... but the good side is, after that, I should be IMMUNE to all of those allergens!

I think they go overboard with the meds. But shock can happen very quickly. I just wonder how many people actually die from anaphalyactic shock, who have access to benadryl, prednisone, or adreniline.

The prednisone can also make you feel like hell. It can make you feel agitated, hungry, and can really throw you for a loop.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:23:31 PM EST

Ah but it does. Having exposure to the elements outside is good but what really hones your immune system is exposure and past illnesses contracted from others. Because you were in the boonies you didnt come across a lot of sick people.

People who live isolated and in sterile environments have a heck of time with allergies and sickness.

Being sick works your immune system and develops it to fight allergies and illness.

Allergies are the result of an immune system that treats allergens as an illness; not the result of an immune system that is weak.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:46:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:

Allergies are the result of an immune system that treats allergens as an illness; not the result of an immune system that is weak.

You are describing the mechanism of allergies and the proposed development of those allergies. Two different things.

A virgin immune system is just that and will get overwhelmed by disease and allergies in no time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:25:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
I feel your pain man. My doctor won't let me get tested, though. Stupid HMOs. I never had allergies until about 5-6 years ago. Now I spend all year barely able to breath. I'm not always snotting, have watery eyes, etc. but I have constant nasal congestion. Nothing works, either. I've tried all the stuff like Claritin, Allega, Nasonex, Flonase, etc. You name it I've tried it. It royally sucks.

Try sinus irrigation, it can really help with allergies and nasal congestion. In my experience, regular irrigation can help remove the allergens from the sinuses, where they build up, before an allergic reaction occurs.

For more information:
www.sinusitisfaq.org/
the newsgroup alt.support.sinusitis
ent-consult.com/

For purchasing the necessary products:
hydromedonline.com/
neilmed.com/
Top Top