Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 5:39:43 PM EDT
Where did that phrase come from?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It comes from an animated file on the internet.  The folks that did it obviously didn't know english very well.  I am sure someone will post a link to it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf[/url]

You have no chance to survive, make your time...

Darn, we had a heyday with this when it was first poted here...now it's so six months ago. The Cav Arms Crew in Arizona still seems to find it funny, for some reason...maybe they all have short attention spans or something[:D]

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The phrase came from a badly translated video game intro. The game was Zero Wing, released on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. The English version seems to have been a Europe-only release.

Read the history here:

[url]http://www.alphasystems.ch/Humour/All%20Your%20Base%20Are%20Belong%20to%20Us%20The%20History.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Japanese game called "Zero Wing".

English version was translated very poorly into "engrish", and gave such memorable quotes as "All your base are belong to us", "You have no chance to survive make your time", "Someone set up us the bomb", "Move Zig", and "For great justice".

It became a net underground cult phenomenon about a year ago, got way overused, and mentioning it now is likely to have someone SlashDot loser smack you in the head.

But damn was it funny for a while there...

the_reject

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
What does "You have no chance to survive make your time" mean?  I understand the first six words, but what do the last three mean?  It looks like there should be a period there, but even then I don't know what it means.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What does "You have no chance to survive make your time" mean?  I understand the first six words, but what do the last three mean?  It looks like there should be a period there, but even then I don't know what it means.
View Quote

First click on the link I gave and watch the video-not to be missed. Then if you still don't get it, come back.

Or maybe someone nicer than me will answer your silly question, even though you haven't watched the video...

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
we have set us up the bomb
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
we have set us up the bomb
View Quote

What you say!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, there probably should be some form of punctuation there, or at least a better translated word.  But if there was, it wouldn't be as horribly mis-translated, and, hence, not as funny.

Look at it as st00pid net humor, not as an english composition essay on a Tolstoy novel.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
What the hell was that crap!
Damn thumper music bullsh*t!
All their talent belongs to someone else!

Where's a SLAYER video when you need one......
[:D]

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It must be obvious, but I guess I'm dense.  Those first six and last three letters don't make sense together, and the last three words don't make sense by themselves.  I realize it's bad grammar, but that doesn't help me understand what it's supposed to mean.

Oh, and thanks everyone for your contribution.  You have answered a question that I have been wondering about ever since I played games such as Delta Force, and never bothered to find the answer to until now.

I always guessed that it was just someone on some online game who said it tauntingly to the other team, and it somehow was remembered.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
[rolleyes]

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/mzwing.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#15]
most of the photoshopping was done by random people on the somethingawful.com forums. They have "humourous photoshopping" contests there pretty regulary.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What does "You have no chance to survive make your time" mean?  
View Quote

The main villan says that to the heroes.  I think what the Japanese designers meant to say with "make your time" must be something like "Prepare to die."
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Kinda reminds me of Desert Storm when Bart Simpson was sleeping with our wifes and girlfriends while we were half a world away. Psy-Ops only works when it makes sense in the language it is trying to be presented to, otherwise it will make your enemy laugh their asses off........
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kinda reminds me of Desert Storm when Bart Simpson was sleeping with our wifes and girlfriends while we were half a world away. Psy-Ops only works when it makes sense in the language it is trying to be presented to, otherwise it will make your enemy laugh their asses off........
View Quote

I think that bastard is screwin my girlfriend too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
[size=6]ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US [red]ATE MY BALLS[/red][/size=6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top