Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:07:03 AM EDT
I have a group of kids that I work with at our local churcg on Wednessday evenings...last week during an exercise one of the kids challanged the idea that all sin is equal in the eyes of God. I've been looking through my NIV to find a reference to use with him, however, I haven't been able to locate a refernec that would prove that point. Help please.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:34:15 AM EDT
I'd be interested in hearing where this is defined also.

It'll make it easier to decide if I should kill someone instead of just lying to them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:23 AM EDT
I seem to remember there being a difference between mortal sins and venial sins <I was raised Catholic>

hereya go
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:18 AM EDT
I don't think its so much that all sins are equal, but that all sins present the same problem. An unsaved murderer is just as damned as an unsaved adulterer. Both can be equally saved by Christ.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:26:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 8:27:43 AM EDT by sloth]
I just need Biblical evidence to use as a teaching tool to this kids. The exercise was as follows...the kids had to pick a slip of paper with a thing on it from one bag and then a slip of paper with a person on it (the slips were pre-made) from another bag. They then had to decide if they would give up the thing for that other person. Some were easy..favorite toy for your best friend...but the kid that had the question got "your home" for a "thief in a foreign country". Obviously this kid said "no way". When I pressed him why, he told me that the thief was a sinner and that he shouldn't have to give his house up for that. Whn I asked him if he'd ever sinned, he said "yes, but nothing that bad". SO when I challange him with "sin is sin...equal in the eyes of God", he had a very difficult time with that.

I have the group of kids again tonight, and I want to make sure we address this point. I think that it cam up and the question was asked for a good reason. I think it will be a great opportunity to help thses kids gain a better understanding about the nature of sin and God's view of it, btu I want to make sure I do it as best I can because its such an important princpal to the protistant faith.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:47:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sloth:
I just need Biblical evidence to use as a teaching tool to this kids. The exercise was as follows...the kids had to pick a slip of paper with a thing on it from one bag and then a slip of paper with a person on it (the slips were pre-made) from another bag. They then had to decide if they would give up the thing for that other person. Some were easy..favorite toy for your best friend...but the kid that had the question got "your home" for a "thief in a foreign country". Obviously this kid said "no way". When I pressed him why, he told me that the thief was a sinner and that he shouldn't have to give his house up for that. Whn I asked him if he'd ever sinned, he said "yes, but nothing that bad". SO when I challange him with "sin is sin...equal in the eyes of God", he had a very difficult time with that.

I have the group of kids again tonight, and I want to make sure we address this point. I think that it cam up and the question was asked for a good reason. I think it will be a great opportunity to help thses kids gain a better understanding about the nature of sin and God's view of it, btu I want to make sure I do it as best I can because its such an important princpal to the protistant faith.

I see your point, but I'm with the kid on this one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:16:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Try Roman 3:23 (for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God) and 6:23 (for the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord). In God's eyes, all sin will keep you separated from him, be it murder, theft or lying. He does not admit based on "severity" of sin or differentiate on type of sin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:21:26 AM EDT
happycynic made a very legitimate point.

All sin, great or small, presents us with the same dilema: Sin seperates us from God.

All sins share the same remedy: Repentence so we may be cleaned again through Christ's atoning sacrifice.

However, all repentence isn't necessarily the same. Sure, all repentence shares the same aspects (restoration/reparation and a change of heart) but some sins are harder to fix than others. For example, if I steal a pack of gum, repentence means I return the package or pay for it. Either way, I need to own up to my crime.

What makes certain sins like rape and murder so severe is the fact that you can't restore what has been taken.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:23:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TROJANII:

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Try Roman 3:23 (for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God) and 6:23 (for the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord). In God's eyes, all sin will keep you separated from him, be it murder, theft or lying. He does not admit based on "severity" of sin or differentiate on type of sin.

I was being flippant (see the ) ...Sorry...did not mean to stir anything up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:09:56 AM EDT
1Jo 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

OK, so maybe we haven't taken anyone's physical life. But if our thoughts separate us from God, what's the difference?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:17:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
1Jo 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

OK, so maybe we haven't taken anyone's physical life. But if our thoughts separate us from God, what's the difference?

Repentence is much easier when all you need to do is stop the bad thoughts and work on a change of heart.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:25:53 AM EDT
An unforgivable sin is described in Mark 3 and Matthew 12. These passages involve Jesus Christ's repeated and widespread public defeat of Satan and his demons. Many readers and theologians have been confused about the true nature of this sin. As you read these verses for yourself (below), bear in mind part of the purpose of Jesus Christ's ministry was to directly confront darkness with the light of truth in a public battle of pure good versus pure evil. The only being in the universe that is more powerful than the Evil One, is God. He is the only one with enough power to bind Satan himself and forcibly dispossess him.

Mark 3:22-30 states: "And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, 'He has Beelzebub,' and, 'By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.' ...'Assuredly, I [Jesus] say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation;' because they said, 'He has an unclean spirit'"

In Matthew 12:31-32, Jesus says to the Pharisees: "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come"

Don't EVER attack the Holy Spirit. Period. Get it? Got it? Good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:45:02 AM EDT
let he ,who is without sin throw the first stone...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:46:05 AM EDT
I remember a verse that said to stumble at one point of the Law is the same as breaking all of it, but can't look it up right now.

When people start talking about degrees of sin, usually they are thinking "How much can I get away with and still be OK?"

To me, there is a line between right and wrong and dancing on the line leads to trouble. Don't waste time playing around with seeing how close you can get to the line. Just stay away from it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:53:42 AM EDT

To me, there is a line between right and wrong and dancing on the line leads to trouble. Don't waste time playing around with seeing how close you can get to the line. Just stay away from it.

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:21:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shane333:
happycynic made a very legitimate point.

All sin, great or small, presents us with the same dilema: Sin seperates us from God.

All sins share the same remedy: Repentence so we may be cleaned again through Christ's atoning sacrifice.

However, all repentence isn't necessarily the same. Sure, all repentence shares the same aspects (restoration/reparation and a change of heart) but some sins are harder to fix than others. For example, if I steal a pack of gum, repentence means I return the package or pay for it. Either way, I need to own up to my crime.

What makes certain sins like rape and murder so severe is the fact that you can't restore what has been taken.

+1.. Don't forget to repent for your sin also.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:24:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:
I remember a verse that said to stumble at one point of the Law is the same as breaking all of it, but can't look it up right now.

When people start talking about degrees of sin, usually they are thinking "How much can I get away with and still be OK?"

Usually the same people who want to know what they can do to make up for the sin also.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:23:42 PM EDT

I just need Biblical evidence to use as a teaching tool to this kids.

Try a wooden ruler.....that's what the nuns used with us. [joke...]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:28:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By StonerStudent:

...and just look at how StonerStudent turned out.

Sorry, SS, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:04:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By StonerStudent:

...and just look at how StonerStudent turned out.

Sorry, SS, I couldn't resist.

yeah I guess that wasn't a good idea after all .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:46:36 PM EDT
If you understand Hebrew, you wouldnt even ask the question if all sin is the same. It isnt. There are different Hebrew words for different kinds of sins. That is how the Hebrew Bible laws it out anyways.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:48:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By neshomamench:
If you understand Hebrew, you wouldnt even ask the question if all sin is the same. It isnt. There are different Hebrew words for different kinds of sins. That is how the Hebrew Bible laws it out anyways.

Elaboration would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:06:37 AM EDT

logically I have never understood the concept that all sin is the same. It might have the same punishment (if God is an unjust being) but not all sins are the same in things like intent and effect.

Is the only way to learn Hebrew, or do English translations of your books (I fail to remember the proper name so don't want to offend and use the Christian one) convey the information well enough for me to grasp the differences between the original Jewish scripture and the modified Christian scriptures?

thanks!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:53:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dino:

logically I have never understood the concept that all sin is the same. It might have the same punishment (if God is an unjust being) but not all sins are the same in things like intent and effect.

Is the only way to learn Hebrew, or do English translations of your books (I fail to remember the proper name so don't want to offend and use the Christian one) convey the information well enough for me to grasp the differences between the original Jewish scripture and the modified Christian scriptures?

thanks!

The Hebrew language has numerous words that are sometimes translated "sin." Some emphasize whether the behavior is intentional or not, some emphasize attitude and might be translated "rebellion" others have connotations of guilt or error.

All sins are equal in this way:
God is holy and does not tolerate any sin. The smallest sin separates us from God. A good analogy might be, how much feces would you tolerate in your soup. Is a little OK and a lot a problem?

Many sins are equivelant in the sense that they violate the same positive principle.
Hatred is the same as murder in the sense that both fail to acknolwedge the intrinsic value of the other person. Lust is equal to adultery in the sense that both devalue marriage and the gift of sexual union. Coveting is equal to theft in the sense that both result from a belief that you deserve something and the other person does not.

Sins are NOT equal in the sense of what is required for justice.
A speeder and a murderer do not deserve equal temporal punishment. Sins are not equal in their temporal consequences. For example, if you hate me instead of murder me, then you are still separated from God by that sin. If you hate me instead of murder me, you're attitude is the same. BUT, if you hate me instead of murder me, I'm still alive. There are no consequences to your thoughts/feelings FOR ME. This is where there is the greatest difference in sins and this is why our legal system recognizes different levels of punishment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:14:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wdsman:

Originally Posted By Dino:

thanks!

The Hebrew language has numerous words that are sometimes translated "sin." Some emphasize whether the behavior is intentional or not, some emphasize attitude and might be translated "rebellion" others have connotations of guilt or error.

All sins are equal in this way:
God is holy and does not tolerate any sin. The smallest sin separates us from God. A good analogy might be, how much feces would you tolerate in your soup. Is a little OK and a lot a problem?

Many sins are equivelant in the sense that they violate the same positive principle.
Hatred is the same as murder in the sense that both fail to acknolwedge the intrinsic value of the other person. Lust is equal to adultery in the sense that both devalue marriage and the gift of sexual union. Coveting is equal to theft in the sense that both result from a belief that you deserve something and the other person does not.

Sins are NOT equal in the sense of what is required for justice.
A speeder and a murderer do not deserve equal temporal punishment. Sins are not equal in their temporal consequences. For example, if you hate me instead of murder me, then you are still separated from God by that sin. If you hate me instead of murder me, you're attitude is the same. BUT, if you hate me instead of murder me, I'm still alive. There are no consequences to your thoughts/feelings FOR ME. This is where there is the greatest difference in sins and this is why our legal system recognizes different levels of punishment.

that sounds like the standard Christian interpretation to me. Still waiting for neshomamench's answer.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:15:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:

This sounds like very sound advice to me.
(Dare I say, Great Minds think alike?)

This has been on of the more enlightening threads I've read today.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 10:30:20 AM EDT by neshomamench]
This is the Jewish POV.

As far as Translations go, For the most part none of them are good (Enough) that is why it is incumbant on Jews to learn Hebrew and only it is authoratative. If learning Hebrew is not something you want to do, the Better in this "not good enough" equation would be something along the lines of "The Living Torah" by Rabbi Kaplain or "The Stone Edition Chumish (or Torah)" Even those have problems because sometimes you have to comprimise with the Hebrew language when you translate it. however they do in many cases footnote such problems. I have, as do all the Hebrew speakers I know have a very poor opinion of Christian Translations and Hebrew concordances. They are either purposfuly wrong or grossly neglegent. I dont want to argue that, just pointing it out.

As far as sin, Wdsman is not really off on the kinds of sin. Some are intentional, some are accidents, some are done without even knowing you have done them. Some are between men and some are between G-d and man. Some are group efforts and some are national efforts.

After that I would disagree. First of all origional sin is an alien concept to Judaism. No one is born in any state that he must be reedemed from. It is more if a "Yin Yang" thing. You are born with a Yetzar Hara (Bad inclination) and a Yetzar Tov(good inclination) Without these things we can accomplish nothing. Remember in Judaism you are not trying to be saved from anything. The true state of man is in the Stuggle. Look at your own lives. No matter what you believe and what may save you in the next life, you must struggle in this one. We are on a Karma system and G-d does not expect perfection from us at all, he expects the process of us trying to do what is right. Without a measure of bad as a choice how can we get any credit for the good we do? G-d created each of us as we are for the reasons that need to be. He judges each person and event based on all the factor about that.

Think of it like this. The Hebrew Bible tell us not to steal. I think most people on earth can agree with that. If you never steal anything in your life you get credit for that rule. however it comes in degrees. If you never have the inclination to steal you still get credit but not as much as the person who has to struggle with the desire to steal and does not. for whatever reason his soul had to have that task and his goal is to purify himself and beat his bad inclinations.

This is the problem Judaism has with the idea that we can have a sinful thought or a thoughts can be a sin. It is our very thoughts about sin that provide us with the opportunity to choose to do the right thing and streangthen our souls.

Again, Since we dont believe in an antithisis to G-d (Such as the Devil) and if G-d is really the creator of all, he has to be the creator of evil and sin. But if you follow the thoughts I have laid out above you will see how these things are what provide for us the greatest opportunity to do good and prove our free will. It is our job as partners with G-d in helping him finish the work of creation to take our choices to do good and bad and elevate them to a level of doing the right thing, thus we eleminate the bad things in this world.

Also, In Judaism from time to time a person comes along who is what is known as a Tzaddic. This is a person who has no inclination to do anything that is of a sinful nature. Thus he is perfect in that sense. However their is a drawback. The "Bonanie" (Regular person) has a far greater impact on the world than does the perfect person. Because he has the inclination to do wrong and creates a more spriritual world when he overcomes it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:20:08 PM EDT
Can't help you(since I don't believe it either). But I wish I did have the "Out of the mouth of babes" scripture for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:20:20 AM EDT
thanks for the reply, neshomamench.

very informative

the Jewish POV is very similar to the UU Pov on sin

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:58:20 AM EDT
I also want to thank you, neshomamench, for your explanation. Some of it still confuses me, but at least you've made an attempt to help us understand your perspective.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
unpardonable sin is mentioned in the Bible, however I believe it is referring to rejection of the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sins.

There are also sins that are abominations in God's eyes...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:15:27 AM EDT
Yes, stealing a stick of gum is equally wrong to raping and murdering an entire orphanage of small children.

Ask him where in the Bible he finds that concept.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:35:54 PM EDT

Get a "Strongs" concordance if you want to know the bible. Period.
You can look up the real meaing of the words being used. Many times they are not what you thought they were. It is a better tool than any preacher telling you what things mean. If you want to know something you need to study it for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:47:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ljtag:

You can look up the real meaing of the words being used. Many times they are not what you thought they were. It is a better tool than any preacher telling you what things mean. If you want to know something you need to study it for yourself.

I was mostly hoping for some examples for research. Some cited scriptures to help me cut to the chase.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:27:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 11:28:37 AM EDT by SmittysWife59]

I was mostly hoping for some examples for research. Some cited scriptures to help me cut to the chase.

The Hebrew Bible still talked about the creation and Adam and Eve sinning and that sin came into the world.

In the O.T, in the book of Proverbs it talks about the 7 sins God hates.
Interestingly, 2 of them are lying.
Paul killed Christians, Jesus stopped him on the road to Damascus. Paul was on his way to kill Christians. Paul truly believed he was in the right and doing good for God.

The thing is, we haven't sinned against each other, we have sinned against God.
No reason pointing at Johnny saying, WOW look at all the bad things you have done in your life compared to mine!
Sin is sin in the aspect that we can't stand before God by our own merits. We have sinned and need a savior.
Jesus/God never said "Anyone can be forgiven except for murderers, rapists, pedphiles, (insert anything).
If you have sinned against God, you can't enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

David committed adultery and had the woman's husband killed because David had impregnated her.
Paul killed Christians.
Lot and his daughters had an "incest is best" thing going on one night while he was trashed.
Samson committed suicide while he killed a bunch of people in the process.
and the list goes on....

I am glad that our God is a gracious God, and didn't have a list of certain sins that wiill keep us from having eternity with Him.
His only rule?
Trust in His Son who died in our place so we could be with Him.

Amen!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:06:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmittysWife59:

The Hebrew Bible still talked about the creation and Adam and Eve sinning and that sin came into the world.

In the O.T, in the book of Proverbs it talks about the 7 sins God hates.
Interestingly, 2 of them are lying.
Paul killed Christians, Jesus stopped him on the road to Damascus. Paul was on his way to kill Christians. Paul truly believed he was in the right and doing good for God.

The thing is, we haven't sinned against each other, we have sinned against God.
No reason pointing at Johnny saying, WOW look at all the bad things you have done in your life compared to mine!
Sin is sin in the aspect that we can't stand before God by our own merits. We have sinned and need a savior.
Jesus/God never said "Anyone can be forgiven except for murderers, rapists, pedphiles, (insert anything).
If you have sinned against God, you can't enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

David committed adultery and had the woman's husband killed because David had impregnated her.
Paul killed Christians.
Lot and his daughters had an "incest is best" thing going on one night while he was trashed.
Samson committed suicide while he killed a bunch of people in the process.
and the list goes on....

I am glad that our God is a gracious God, and didn't have a list of certain sins that wiill keep us from having eternity with Him.
His only rule?
Trust in His Son who died in our place so we could be with Him.

Amen!!

Amen. Regardless of sins, the world is forgiven. Eternal life is only imparted to those who recieve the gift of God, namely the blood of Christ, as a payment for sins. Blood is God's currency for sins. Either pay for your sins with your own blood, or believe that the blood of Christ paid for your sins so you dont have to- in the lake of fire.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:17:16 AM EDT
Just because Paul says "all have sinned" doesn't mean this verse means "all sin is the same". And just because all sin must be apologized for to be forgiven...again doesn't mean that "all sin is the same".

The very fact that Jesus warned of different punishments for different crimes (some things, such as scandal made the sinner worth of a millstone whereas other sins didn't), shows that HE didn't think "all sin is the same".
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 9:36:28 AM EDT by SmittysWife59]

Originally Posted By JusAdBellum:
Just because Paul says "all have sinned" doesn't mean this verse means "all sin is the same". And just because all sin must be apologized for to be forgiven...again doesn't mean that "all sin is the same".

The very fact that Jesus warned of different punishments for different crimes (some things, such as scandal made the sinner worth of a millstone whereas other sins didn't), shows that HE didn't think "all sin is the same".

Yes, I agree. As I pointed out earlier, in the book of Proverbs Chapter 6, it states 7 sins that God detests, 2 of them are lying.
However, the point I was making is this.
Sin has separated us from God. The Bible never says once that one sin separates us from God more than another.
The only sin that God doesn't forgive is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
Rejecting Christ.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:12:48 PM EDT
Straight from the first letter of John:
v16: If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray.
v17: All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:19:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By loonybin:
Straight from the first letter of John:
v16: If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray.
v17: All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.

Matthew 12:30-32

30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

So what sin is the one that is not forgiven? All are forgiven except one.
Rejection of Jesus Christ. Not murderers, not rapists, etc.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:25:26 AM EDT
I think the verse that deals with:

"with God ALL things are possible" holds the answer. If we reject Christ's atonement for our sins, no matter how "big" or "small" they are, we are damned(separated from God).

This is how I see it. I might be wrong. I'm not a theologian. Carry on!

JMHO & YMMV

Hessian-1(Still in love...)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:57:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hessian-1:
I think the verse that deals with:

"with God ALL things are possible" holds the answer. If we reject Christ's atonement for our sins, no matter how "big" or "small" they are, we are damned(separated from God).

This is how I see it. I might be wrong. I'm not a theologian. Carry on!

JMHO & YMMV

Hessian-1(Still in love...)

Nope, you're right on...
Top Top