Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 12:06:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:10:24 PM EDT
Wow, a government regulation that [b]I agree with..![/b]

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:13:32 PM EDT
Wow - just, wow!

In other words, up until now, it was considered FINE to slaughter cows so sick that they cannot even stand.

[:X*]

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:13:59 PM EDT
One would think that would have been the norm for many years now. I'm amazed it wasn't.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:15:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
Who would have guessed that they would have used 'downers' in the first place?
View Quote

Maybe Oprah was right.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:15:40 PM EDT
Should have been that way long ago.  

Feed the sick or injured to damn alligator or Croc farms.  Any animal that has survived for millions of years probably will have no problems with Prions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 12:18:36 PM EDT by TexasEd]
I think I read somewhere that they thought the original 'mad cow' was simply having trouble walking due to injuries from a rough time giving birth. As it turns out of course, that was not the case.

I wonder where they make the distinction now (if they do ?) between 'sickness' and 'injured'.

In other words if you have a cow that is obviously having difficulty walking from a bad hoof, can you no longer use it for meat ?

Maybe they should still use injured cows but require some time of vet waiver ???

Edited to say better safe than sorry I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:18:26 PM EDT
... Well WTF are we gonna use for hotdogs now? [;D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:20:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... Well WTF are we gonna use for hotdogs now? [;D]
View Quote

Ha! I remember the first time I saw "beef lips" as a hotdog ingredient as a little kid.

All I could imagine is all of these cows going "ooooooo" instead of "mooooo" because they had no lips.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:22:53 PM EDT
as well as changes in slaughterhouse techniques with the aim of preventing accidental contamination of meat with cow nerve tissue. Mad cow disease is spread through such brain and spinal cord tissue.
View Quote

No sawing through the spine!!!  Lots of deer hunters "quarter" their deer by sawing through the spine.  Very dangerous butchering technigue in areas where CWD or MCD is present.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:34:19 PM EDT
Another example of man's greed biting him in the ass. And the .gov going along with it.

1) cows are ruminets- that's why they have 4 stomaches- to digest GRASS!!!!!!

2) Cows shouldn't eat other ground up cows in cow cakes.

3) Did you know that 75% of the grain grown in the U.S. is fed to cows???? More of that feedlot/greed sickness.

4) ground beef is about the nastiest thing around.

5) they wouldn't have to irradiate the beef if they would just handle it properly in the first place. But if you have semiliterate staff in a slaughterhaouse..... you get what you pay for.

oh yeah-- fuck ADM, tyson  and con agra!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:54:12 PM EDT
I had no idea I have been eating meat from sick animals. Common sense says this is a good move by the Agricultural Department.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:56:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:
View Quote

I USED to work at one of Conagra's divisions, and they would feed that crap to you, IF they didn't think they would get caught by the authorities. That is one company that epitomizes corporate greed to the letter T. For every dollar that spend, they want to earn back 15¢.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:03:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan:
as well as changes in slaughterhouse techniques with the aim of preventing accidental contamination of meat with cow nerve tissue. Mad cow disease is spread through such brain and spinal cord tissue.
View Quote

No sawing through the spine!!!  Lots of deer hunters "quarter" their deer by sawing through the spine.  Very dangerous butchering technigue in areas where CWD or MCD is present.
View Quote

Yet another reason to bone out the deer carcass:  You don't have to saw through bones!

Also, the next time you order a porterhouse steak, make sure there's not any spinal cord tissue in the "notch" at the top of the T-bone.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:21:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:37:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Lots of deer hunters "quarter" their deer by sawing through the spine. .
View Quote
Chainsaw works if you're in a hurry [:D]
View Quote

Never seen a chainsaw used, but a common carpentry wood saw is a favorite where I grew up.  A saw is completely unecessary in quartering a deer, and with CWD it's becoming dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:49:53 PM EDT
Another example of man's greed biting him in the ass. And the .gov going along with it.

3) Did you know that 75% of the grain grown in the U.S. is fed to cows???? More of that feedlot/greed sickness.

5) they wouldn't have to irradiate the beef if they would just handle it properly in the first place. But if you have semiliterate staff in a slaughterhaouse..... you get what you pay for.

View Quote

You do realize that more people get sick from food poisoning by fruits and vegetable then by animal products?  Can you say Chi-Chi's green onions?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:00:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DigDug:

View Quote

You do realize that more people get sick from food poisoning by fruits and vegetable then by animal products?  Can you say Chi-Chi's green onions?
View Quote

That process violates one of the basic tenets of sustainable agriculture. The produce should come from a local source- NOT mexico!! What do you think they use for fertilizer on your ‘cheap as shit’ tomatoes and onions????

You know what causes famine in the 21st century?? GRAIN COMPANIES.  
Fuck adm con-ag and monsanto/dupont/novartis

depending on foreign countries for food is not a good idea. same as being dependant on imposrted oil/fuel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:01:18 PM EDT
DigDug: I hear you on the green onions, from our friends south of the border. Hep A is transmitted because of contamination with feces caused by poor sanitation.

Most commercial companies don't bother washing the vegetables & fruits they serve such as apples, tomatoes etc, most just take it from the box and serve. When my dad owned his resturant, I as kid had to wash the lettuce, tomatoes etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:07:03 PM EDT
Even with new regs I don't trust the ranchers and butchers to follow them all the time.

I also read somewhere that ground turkey has the most bacteria in it of all meats. I don't know if that is true.

All this just shows you why you had better say grace over your food.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:07:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DigDug:

View Quote

View Quote

That process violates one of the basic tenets of sustainable agriculture. The produce should come from a local source- NOT mexico!! What do you think they use for fertilizer on your ‘cheap as shit’ tomatoes and onions????

You know what causes famine in the 21st century?? GRAIN COMPANIES.  
Fuck adm con-ag and monsanto/dupont/novartis

depending on foreign countries for food is not a good idea. same as being dependant on imposrted oil/fuel.
View Quote

Doesn't matter where they come from...  Produce is deadly.  We need to ban it FOR THE CHILDREN.

I'll stick to good old fashioned ND beef, thank you.  Plenty of open pasture land that won't grow crops, but feeds some mighty tasty steaks!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:29:29 PM EDT
That's why I raise my own beef, pig's and chickens.  Feed is from a local feed mill that uses primarily locally grown grain.  Hay is cut from my property.
Rewards are 'outstanding'.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 3:42:37 PM EDT by SWIRE]
Oh grow up you bunch of sissies.  Most of you have no idea what you are talking about and are only spouting off the crap the media has been showing...and we all know how well researched and accurate the media is.

While there was no federal law prohibiting using downer cows, some states had laws and the meat packers themselves would refuse downers.  All it would take is for one case of any type of illness coming from their meat and the meat packer could lose everything.  So why would they risk it?  Most wouldn't.  But if you listen to media the "greedy" meat packers were sellinging nothing but "contaminated" meat.  It's about time a federal standard is applied to this type of thing.  

Only_Hits_Count recycling animal parts back into feed has been banned in the US for many years.  As for claiming irradiation wouldn't be needed if meat was handled better...well have you ever gotten a cold?  If you can't even keep viruses and bacteria out of your own body how do you expect anyone to keep an entire building germ free?  Germs and bacteria are everyone.  The government regulates and inspects meat packing plants.  They also test for bacteria and viruses in the food.  If a packing plant is found to be contaminated it's shut down, the meat is destroyed, and the place has to be scrubbed down.

The way some of you are making the food supply sound, none of our parents or grand parents ever should have survived.  Regulations and testing is better today than it ever has been and the food supply is safe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:02:45 PM EDT

View Quote

Shut up hippy.

P.S. If you want to eat the "grain" that is fed to cows, be my guest.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:46:36 PM EDT
Seems like a terrible waste of good meat, as BSE is a rare disease and cattle go down for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with BSE.
A more sensible approach would be to test the cattle in question for the BSE prion before it enters the food supply.  The value of the carcass is worth many times over the cost of a quick BSE test.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:19:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:37:13 AM EDT
Now that they are not going to use downer cows for human consumption,I would assume that it means they will be used for animal feed,ie dog food,etc.,or are they going to destroy them so the possibility of infecting other animals won't happen?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:01:50 AM EDT
I do not nor have ever raised cattle. But it stands to reason there would be varying degrees of downed animals.
IE- broken leg versus finding an animal down with no indication as to why.
The later I believe should be kept from the food chain. As with all other aspects of business there are some meat processing facillities that will put it on your table even if they have to haul it off the delivery truck with a chain fall......It is the greatest human weakness $$$$$$$
Top Top