Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 7:08:27 AM EDT
[b]Ill. Officer Sentenced for Ammo Theft [/b]

By MIKE ROBINSON
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP)--A sheriff's officer caught on tape zealously singing about stealing ammunition from the department's firing range was sentenced to the maximum 16 months in prison.

William Jarding, 45, convicted of conspiracy to possess stolen ammunition, was ordered to report to federal prison Sept. 4.

``I can remember the zeal in his voice, the absolute joy he took in committing a crime,'' Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Netols told U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly at sentencing Tuesday. Jarding had been convicted last October.

On the tape, secretly recorded by the FBI in November 1998, Jarding is heard singing a duet with decorated Chicago police officer Joseph Miedzianowski, whom the FBI was investigating.

``When they go to lunch, hi ho!'' Jarding sings.

``Hi, ho! There the ammo go,'' Miedzianowski chimes in.

Jarding was a Cook County shooting range instructor at the time.

Miedzianowski, 48, was investigating drug-selling gangs then. He was later convicted of running a Miami-to-Chicago cocaine pipeline and sentenced to life in prison.

Federal agents raided Miedzianowski's home in 1998 and found 50,000 rounds of ammunition, some with Cook County stamps on them. Prosecutors believe Jarding passed the ammunition to Miedzianowski in return for favors, including setting up Jarding in a $100-a-night moonlighting job checking IDs at a tattoo parlor.

Kennelly said it was unclear ``whether any of this ammunition went for nefarious purposes or not, but it certainly had the potential.''

AP-NY-06-25-03 1025EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
This is Chicago.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
ok, i've got the popcorn on...who brought the beer?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Kar what do you do for a living? I am sure a bunch of members of your profession, like all others, hve committed crimes.

So, what is the point? Trolling?

Weak attempt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure sounds like a bad cop.  I'm glad they caught him.

I hope he enjoys meeting Big Bubba.

BTW, Kar98, the topic title is a little misleading.  I'm sure you didn't mean it to be.  But since you are talking about a bad cop, why throw mud at the vast majority that are good men?

You should re-title it, "Bad Cop Gets What He Deserves."

I'm sure you will since you are a fair man.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Trolling...

There are crooked people in all lines of work.  No profession is exempt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am sure a bunch of members of your profession, like all others, hve committed crimes.
View Quote

That may very well be the case; however nobody in "my profession" has been entrusted by the public to /fight/ crime, only to use that position of trust to /commit/ crimes. And nobody in "my profession" is whining how everybody hates them, and nobody looks down at the people /not/ in "my profession" as lowly civilians and subjects.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Did any of those rounds shoot any dogs???
Where did I put that MUTE button???  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top