User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:24:17 AM EDT
I hate democrats,  why would vote no, other than politics
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am a supporter of the constitution, very conservative when it comes to morality and my rights, liberal in everything else, and I would of voted against him. Alito is dangerous, he supports giving too much power to the Executive branch instead of keeping things the way they should be: every branch has equal power to outweigh the others; instead of that, we are now ending up with a supreme court that will lean towards the Executive branch in everything as opposed to being impartial in its dealings.

Alito isn't pro-gun... he even offered to help congress come up with the proper studies to show the interstate commerce doctrine applies to machine guns... and probably even EBRs.

Alito isn't pro-choice... whatever you may think about it, I would much rather have a judge that errs on the side of freedom for American citizens rather than a fetus.

Alito is pro-executive power... remember, most of the recent gun restrictions at the national level have come from the executive branch throw executive orders('89 ban by Bush Sr., and the '94 ban on assault pistol imports by Clinton).

I really cannot think of any reason to SUPPORT Alito except on the basis of party/political ties.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Everything in Washington is politics. Both sides play this vote counting game. Once they know that he was going to be approved, they all vote against him so they can look good for the constituents.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It appears that Alito makes rulings based on strict interpretations of the laws in question and follows established precedent. I don't want Justices legislating from the bench in cases that favor my personal positions OR cases that do not.

Quoted:
Alito isn't pro-gun...

There is no evidence that he is anti-gun. Currently, the courts have ruled that weapons can be regulated under the government's interstate commerce authority. Should that case come before the court, I would expect him to rule on a more narrow interpretation of the interstate commerce clause.

Quoted:
Alito isn't pro-choice...

I don't think that he ever stated otherwise. He has stated that Roe is currently settled law.  However, many constitutional scholars have come to the conclusion that Roe was a terrible decision from a legal standpoint. Therefore, should another germaine case dealing with abortion come before the court, I would expect him to follow the Constitution and defer these rights to the states.

Quoted:
Alito is pro-executive power...

Explain this please. He believes that the President holds sole power over the executive branch. He specifically stated in his confirmation hearings that his approval of unitary execute power extends only to the control over the executive, not the scope of the executive.

Have you actually looked at his rulings, or are you just devouing whatever crap you pickup from the media? His rulings, publications, and testimony are all available for purusal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Great news..anything to get rid of the liberal trash in America!!! Aye!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top