Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/29/2003 7:22:47 PM EDT
I got this for myself with a gift certificate I recieved for Christmas.

You know after seeing the original movie "Alien" a dozen or so times over the years that movie still manages to totally freak me out.

The chestburster scene with Kane in the dining room of the Nostromo still manages to have me on the edge of my seat chewing my fingertips bloody. The tension on the set during the filming of that scene is so thick you can literally cut it with a knife. In the special features section of the DVD they explain how it was filmed and that it was done in one take. The actors had no idea how it was going to come off. They knew what was supposed to happen but were not privy to setting up the shot. The surprise and fear you see in that scene is real, they were just as shocked and freaked out as we are.

Amazing effects and tension due to letting the audience's imagination run wild. Director Ridley Scott gives you just enough to instill sheer terror in you but does not show you the "monster" in detail. When you do see the monster you see only parts of it and in shadows and strobe lighting. Your own mind takes over and your own inherint fears fill in the "blanks". Keep in mind this was made prior to CGI and digital effects, the monster is either puppet or a man in a rubber suit!

Amazing bit of moviemaking.

The extra footage that you get with the DVD's is well worth the price of the 9 disc set of all 4 movies.

There is some extra footage in the first movie I cannot believe got cut. I won't give it away but you need to see it.

There is also some great stuff that was edited out of Aliens, the second movie.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:46:11 PM EDT
I was thinking about buying it but I just cannot stand the last two movies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 8:53:42 PM EDT by Otter-pop]
As much as the last two suck, and they do, the extra footage on the first two makes up for it. Among my favorite movies, ever.

I remember going to see the first one at a midnight movie, not knowing what to expect. Wow! Not a good date movie. Horrible date movie. Sorry, Melissa.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:51:14 PM EDT
not to mention that HR Gigers Alien Designs kicked major ass.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:12:00 PM EDT
I'm a huge fan of Aliens and Alien.  Alien 3 sucked worse than any movie has ever sucked before, and Alien 4 was mildly entertaining, but still sucked compared to the first two.

That being said, is there anything on the Quadrilogy (for the first two movies) that is NOT on the "Alien Legacy" DVD set???  I've got that one, and I don't want to buy a second collectors set...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:59:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Otter-pop:
As much as the last two suck, and they do, the extra footage on the first two makes up for it.
View Quote

EGG ZACTLY!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:33:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher:
That being said, is there anything on the Quadrilogy (for the first two movies) that is NOT on the "Alien Legacy" DVD set???
View Quote

YES!!

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection now feature "special edition" cuts of the movies. Alien 3 is basically a workprint copy, still not a good movie, but better. The Alien Resurrection director like the theatrical version, so all he did was add in some deleted footage.

All the information from the old Alien and Aliens laserdiscs in now on DVD, a lot was missing before.

There is quite a bit of behind the scenes promos and documentaries.

I have the old box set, and like this one MUCH better. It feels more "complete".

Av.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:59:25 AM EDT
I usually think sequels kill the earlier movies.

Rocky and 2001 were landmark pictures, but the sequels took away from the original. But I actually enjoyed Aliens more than Alien.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:11:33 AM EDT
I liked what they did to Alien 3. I now think it qualifies as a movie.  
Without any spoilers I can't see any of you hating the new ending to Alien Resurrection.  I'm sure it gets everyone all pissy in S.F.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:18:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 7:21:19 AM EDT by Alien]
You get to find out how much of a gun hating bitch Sigourney Weaver is (she even says she goes as far as donating money towards anti-gun legislation) in the behind the scenes interviews. There is a LOT of extra footage, extra reference material, and behind the scenes stuff not present in the original Alien Legacy set. Aliens was the only extended/enhanced movie in the previous set. All of the new movies feature an enhanced/extended version as well as the original Theatrical release (if you prefer those). I love the set overall. I don't hate Alien 3 as much as some of you, but I HATE Alien 4 with a PASSION. It's just so DUMB and childish and fanciful with a lot of stuff leaving you with a WTF like when that guy bounces a bullet off a few walls and hits a guy in the head. My main gripe however is that the set comes on a LONG ASS 5 foot fold out for all the DVDs. They SHOULD have made it a book like the European release of the set. One has to wonder at the stupidity of people in this industry sometimes. Pulling out a DVD from a 5 foot fold out is not fun. Getting off my [soapbox] now.
Top Top