Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/29/2004 8:28:41 PM EST
Anyone else having thier allergies kicking thier butt lately? I can't seem to get any relief from them. And before I get the "aisle 5" comments, I've bought and taken enough Sudafed and Claritin in the last week, that I should own stock in them by now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:34:03 PM EST
be carefull of sudafed it will make your heart race worse then a jbt on his way to a dog show
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:40:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By furball75:
be carefull of sudafed it will make your heart race worse then a jbt on his way to a dog show

+1! I suffer constantly with allergies, everything from cats to pollen to...well, everything.

I pretty much just deal with it and use strong teas with garlic and peppers. OTC wears on the body rather quickly.

SGtar15

PS Sudafed=speed
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:46:45 PM EST

Kenalog injection. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:52:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:02:20 PM EST
Allergies have been killing me lately. Durahist works for a while, but makes me wired. Good for working nights, but bad for trying to sleep...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:04:42 PM EST
Kicking my but for a week now. I wish it would get cold for a few days.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:05:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By MissouriBob:
Kicking my but for a week now. I wish it would get cold for a few days.

You really are going to be sorry you said that.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:07:02 PM EST
i prefer zyrtec myself...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:28:19 PM EST
I second the FLONASE suggestion. You spray the stuff in your nostrils and it blocks the histamines from entering your body. Any of the pills like Claritin, Sudafed, etc. are just relieving the symptoms after your body has already been infested with offending allergens.

Since Flonase is a spray, you don't get side-effects like drowsiness, etc. that you may encounter with pills.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:32:20 PM EST
Are you sure it's allergies?

If so, when severe, I use an antihistamine, sudafed as needed, nasal steroids, and Singulair in conjunction with the antihistamine. It is generally pretty effective but it is alot of medication.

I will also add eyedrops if needed.
Asthma inhalers for those who have bronchspasm as a result of their allergies. Prednisone can help for that as well, if severe, but I do not find it terribly helpful for other allery symptoms. That has surprised me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:42:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Are you sure it's allergies?

If so, when severe, I use an antihistamine, sudafed as needed, nasal steroids, and Singulair in conjunction with the antihistamine. It is generally pretty effective but it is alot of medication.

I will also add eyedrops if needed.
Asthma inhalers for those who have bronchspasm as a result of their allergies. Prednisone can help for that as well, if severe, but I do not find it terribly helpful for other allery symptoms. That has surprised me.

I'm sure it's allergies. Happens couple times a year. Itchy watery eyes, runny stuffy nose. The skin around my mouth, eyes and nose itch and burn. Sneeze alot, get a wheezy in the chest, and sometime a mild cough. I don't feel sick, but sound it. I just want to breathe. My problem is I don't have a doctor anymore. After I moved from Florida to NY I had a new Doc, bu I ran out of my prescription for Allegra and Flonase. Then I moved to VA a year ago, without getting the scrpit renewed. I need to find a new doctor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:42:50 PM EST

The only thing that stops allergies is getting shots for 5 or more years. Your body eventually stops reacting to them one step at a time over the course of the treatments.

Allergy symptom meds have all sorts of bad side effects, including weakening your immune system, so when you do get sick or get an infection, it will usually be worse. Some of them also cause depression, while others have the same ingredients used in anti-depression meds. Mixed together in a drug cocktail, it might explain some of the posts in the GD section.

Read the "Warnings" (usually near the end) and you'll see.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:45:36 PM EST
I'm severely allergic to chocolate.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:52:26 PM EST

I just copied these gems from the Flonase information sheet:

WARNINGS
The replacement of a systemic corticosteroid with a topical corticosteroid can be accompanied
by signs of adrenal insufficiency, and in addition some patients may experience symptoms of
withdrawal, e.g., joint and/or muscular pain, lassitude, and depression. Patients previously
treated for prolonged periods with systemic corticosteroids and transferred to topical
corticosteroids should be carefully monitored for acute adrenal insufficiency in response to
stress. In those patients who have asthma or other clinical conditions requiring long-term
systemic corticosteroid treatment, too rapid a decrease in systemic corticosteroids may cause a
severe exacerbation of their symptoms...

Persons who are using drugs that suppress the immune system are more susceptible to
infections than healthy individuals. Chickenpox and measles, for example, can have a more
serious or even fatal course in susceptible children or adults using corticosteroids...

Intranasal corticosteroids should be used with caution, if at all, in patients with active or
quiescent tuberculous infections of the respiratory tract; untreated local or systemic fungal or
bacterial infections; systemic viral or parasitic infections; or ocular herpes simplex...

Pregnancy: Teratogenic Effects: Pregnancy Category C. Subcutaneous studies in the
mouse and rat at 45 and 100 mcg/kg, respectively (approximately equivalent to and 4 times the
maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mcg/m2 basis, respectively) revealed
fetal toxicity characteristic of potent corticosteroid compounds, including embryonic growth
retardation, omphalocele, cleft palate, and retarded cranial ossification...

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_flonase.pdf
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:55:02 PM EST
1/4 teaspoon of local bee pollen per day.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:48:08 AM EST
You probably have a "leaf mold" allergy. Mine flares up this time of the year too. I usually just take Sudafed Plus when it gets bad, otherwise I try to avoid medication.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:50:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

FLONASE

Been working for me for years, must use everyday.

Danny
Top Top