Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 1:01:17 AM EDT
Alaska Hometown Forum

The details are at the link above and the links therein.

I recall a thread about a bill like this in another state and a lot of you felt strongly that it would be a bad thing for it to pass, because it would invalidate the Second Amendment.

Feel free to comment here and in that thread as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The section that I didnt like

However, a person does not violate this section if the person is acting as a private citizen who has been directed by another whom the person reasonably believes to be a peace officer or active member of the armed forces or militia, to assist in confiscating a firearm.

That sounds like one heck of a loop hole.  The way I interpret that is that  any officer can order  a citizen to disarm another and that is okay. If someone is trying to take my gun away from me I would likely think that they only have bad intentions, regardless of who told them to disarm me, and would act accordingly.  I do not like that part of the bill, though I do have  to disagree with you on the voiding of the second amendment part, mainly becasue I feel that this Bill  is only trying to clarify that the Right to Bear Arms will not be infringed upon even during disaster situations.  I did not get the vibe that this would be a precursor to the voiding of our 2nd Amendment rights. But it is always good to keep your guard up, especially in these matters, best to nip it in the bud.

James
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That is another part I'm concerned about.

I know what you mean about it trying to clarify the RtBA but, what may look harmless may one day turn out to be one more thing that was used wrongly to attain their ultimate goal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
what we do have in illinois they are desperatley trying to take from us.  now they are naming a bill after two girls gunned down in chicago that bans all assault weapons basically.  even manufacture.  illinois is full of "assault rifle" manufacturers-rock river, les baer, ARMALITE, and springfield armory to name some.  think of the lost jobs.  stupid bastards.

jake
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
This says that any officer or office holder (mayor, etc) who orders gun confiscation is no longer in that office, he is not then not an officer, they are "fired".  Confiscation is illegal even in an emergency.  If an officer or office holder so orders, they are not acting in capacity of their office.  So, you may resist legally, and are not "disobeying a law enforcement officer", because he just gave up that protection.

There is a bill in Lousiana now, I understand, adding language to their emergency powers laws that forbids gun confiscations.

This needs to happen all over the US, for it to be made clear that a disaster or emergency is not an excuse to nullify the Bill of Rights.

If this had been the law in Lousiana during Katrina, and it was widely known, a lot of CHP's would have gone home in body bags.  But more likely, it never would have been tried to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm no lawyer, but it looks to me like this law is trying to prevent something happening in Alaska like happened in N.O. during Katrina.

Sounds like a good thing. KY just passed a similar law preventing the confiscation of firearms during a state of emergency or natural disaster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top