Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2001 5:03:21 AM EDT
Starting August 1, pistol permits issued in Alabama will be recognized by/recognize permits issued in 28 other states:  AK, AZ, AR, CN (limited) FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MA, MI, MS, MT, NH, ND, OK, OR (limited) PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WV & WY.

The only fly in the ointment is that one now has to learn and follow the laws in each state.  AL, for example, requires concealed carry & prohibits open carry while AZ, I understand, requires the exact opposite: open carry only.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats great!! Thanks for the information. I am from Florida have a hunting lease in Al. I usually drive at night. I always have a gun on me and now don't have top worry about the law.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool...I am hoping to get my CCW soon.  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, great news!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Kirk, AZ CCW permits are  just that, concealed weapons carry. That's what the permit is for, nothing else. Open carry is open carry and anyone legally able to own a weapon may carry openly..this  means armed. You don't need a permit for this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Starting August 1, pistol permits issued in Alabama will be recognized by/recognize permits issued in 28 other states:  AK, AZ, AR, CN (limited) FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MA, MI, MS, MT, NH, ND, OK, OR (limited) PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WV & WY.

The only fly in the ointment is that one now has to learn and follow the laws in each state.  AL, for example, requires concealed carry & prohibits open carry while AZ, I understand, requires the exact opposite: open carry only.
View Quote
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but I read this on Huntsville's Channel 48's website.  They got it from the Alabama Sheriff's Association, who were non-commital when I called them.  I have spoken to GA and AL Attorney's General office about this.  They both are researching this and both have promised to get back to me.  Apparently, Alabama is going to have reciprocity with some states, but very few are settled on.  I think Florida is certain, but am not sure.  I think this whole thing about 28 states signing a mutual law or pact is bogus, unfortunately.  The Attorney General's office in Alabama is looking at the story on Channel 48's website and may ask them where they got their info, since it is apparently misleading.  Do a search on here for '28 states' and you will find another string about this with Channel 48's website's address and their is some discussion about this.  As soon as I hear from either or both AG's I will post here.

It seems that the people that should know are not even sure whether the 28 state pact was signed and who Alabama will have reciprocity with.  Georgia said they were 'talking' to Alabama but nothing was settled.  They were going to dig further on the 28 state 'pact'.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kirk, AZ CCW permits are  just that, concealed weapons carry. That's what the permit is for, nothing else. Open carry is open carry and anyone legally able to own a weapon may carry openly..this  means armed. You don't need a permit for this.
View Quote

Also the reason only a handfull of states reciprocate AZ's CCW is that AZ's CCW allows not just handguns, but ANY weapon (that can legally be owned)to be carried concealed. This means if you want to walk around with a shotgun or an AR in your trenchcoat, that's OK. Switchblades, Asp Batons, swords, belt-fed, whatever.
Concealed WEAPON.

[:D]

Mine should be showing up soon. I'm carrying in the open until then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope I am not premature, but I was assured by a clerk in the sheriff's office the law took effect August1.  She gave me a list publihed by the Alabama Sheriffs Association with the list of repciprocity states.  For more info., see http://www.calhouncountysheriff.org/html/Permit.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I really wish I could find out where these people get this info.  Neither the AG's office in Alabama nor Georgia know anything about the list and they both say that they are working on the reciprocity with each other and several other states.  There does not appear to be a common pact signed by 28 states, but we will see.  I am also getting two dates for the reciprocity to go into effect, 1 AUG and 1 SEPT.  Maybe one is state reciprocity law and the other is the 28 state pact.  Who knows?  I went to the Calhoun sheriff's website and it does list the states.  I am going to call them Monday and ask where they got this info.This is the address for a copy of the actual law.  It allows for reciprocity, but does not list states.

[url]http://arc-sos.state.al.us/PAC/SOSACPDF.001/A0001303.PDF[/url]

Don't misunderstand, I want this to go into effect, but I don't want myself or others going to these other states thinking they are legal and not be so.

Kirk, you posted this:
. She gave me a list publihed by the Alabama Sheriffs Association with the list of repciprocity states.
View Quote

This is from my previous post:
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but I read this on Huntsville's Channel 48's website. They got it from the Alabama Sheriff's Association, who were non-commital when I called them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, apparently this is a pipe dream.  Neither the Alabama AG nor the Georgia AG know anything about the list and they are both on the list.  Alabama published the states they have reciprocity with at [url]http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64[/url]

FL, ID, IN, KY, MI, MS, ND, that's it.

I have asked the Alabama AG's office talk to the Alabama Sheriff's Association to find out where they got the info they are putting out to TV stations and various Sheriff's departments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top