Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2003 6:36:15 PM EDT
Man...those are some strict laws for out-of-staters..headed down next week for three weeks and I WAS gonna take my handgun....hell the out of state people have the same rights as people going through Maryland...what bullshit
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
those laws were written to keep a check on you yankees. We don't want another shermans march down here [:D]

mike
View Quote

Yankee?  Who you calling a yankee?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

I know this is kind of like driving from Virginia to Alabama by way of Oregon but it might help:  [url=http://webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/plupr.html]New Hampshire Non-Resident Pistol / Revolver License[/url].  Reciprocity is a wonderful thing.

E-95
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats why when I left AL to go to NJ I kept my AL license and I keep it active.  Now when I go home and I need a license I pull out the bama one and get treated normal instead of some invading person.  Also when I read the title my first thought was "what??? you can do anything in Alabama as long as you wear camo, have a truck and a have Confederate flag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

I know this is kind of like driving from Virginia to Alabama by way of Oregon but it might help:  [url=http://webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/plupr.html]New Hampshire Non-Resident Pistol / Revolver License[/url].  Reciprocity is a wonderful thing.

E-95
View Quote

[:D] [:D]  too bad I don't have enough time to get it before I leave
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW this brings up a topic that really  burns me up.........I leave my RKBA at the  border when I leave my state unless I go to TN, KY or WV.  I am a law-abiding citizen damn it, I should have equal access to self-defense as I would if I was a resident of that state!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

Sorry, my bad.  I thought I saw Virginia on the reciprocity list for New Hampshire.  Which would mean you could get a non-resident permit that would be recognized in Alabama.  [:(]

E-95
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

Sorry, my bad.  I thought I saw Virginia on the reciprocity list for New Hampshire.  Which would mean you could get a non-resident permit that would be recognized in Alabama.  [:(]

E-95
View Quote

No wait.....you can get an out of state permit which would be honored in AL.....it doesn't have anything to do with reciprocity

Hell...I would just like to be able keep the gun in my truck without having to lock it AND the ammo up....hell I probably have 300 rds of .40 ammo floating around my truck....I would spend most of my time on large tracts of private land so CCW really isn't the big deal just the peaceful journey law
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

You might be able to do a little research here and carry on future trips:  [url=http://www.nraila.org/recmap/RecG0730.pdf]NRA Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Guide[/url].  Good luck!  [:D]

E-95
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you think it would be if I kept the gun inside a suitcase in the back of my truck?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
wooops I was looking at the wrong list
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How do you think it would be if I kept the gun inside a suitcase in the back of my truck?
View Quote

Why the hell bother carrying it if you can't just reach for it?  It will do you about as much good in a suitcase in the trunk as it would if you left it at home.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

According to the Alabama Attorney General's web site:

A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:

The firearm is unloaded.
Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console.
Title 18 U.S.C. section 926A
View Quote

So it looks like at least you'll be able to bring it and carry on private land.

E-95
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell, I don't have any were to lock it except the suitcase..........I have sooooooooooooooo
much ammo in the vehicle I, wonder if the gun is in the bed and the ammo is floating around if LEO would have a problem with that...provided that the mag. is empty
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in Florida, we do issue non-resident CCWs and we do have reciprocity with Alabama (I think the deal was recently made). [b]But[/b] you have to check the reciprocity laws in Alabama to see if non-resident permits are accepted. I don't think FL accepts non-resident permits from other states, though I'd have to check the law again to be sure.

One of my reps introduced a bill into the House that would require all states to accept all other states CCWs, just like the constitution says (14th amendment, I believe). I don't think it's going anywhere, though. You might also want to check on why there isn't reciprocity between Virginia and Alabama. A gentle urge to the right people might get an agreement made.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here in Florida, we do issue non-resident CCWs and we do have reciprocity with Alabama (I think the deal was recently made). [b]But[/b] you have to check the reciprocity laws in Alabama to see if non-resident permits are accepted. I don't think FL accepts non-resident permits from other states, though I'd have to check the law again to be sure.

One of my reps introduced a bill into the House that would require all states to accept all other states CCWs, just like the constitution says (14th amendment, I believe). I don't think it's going anywhere, though. You might also want to check on why there isn't reciprocity between Virginia and Alabama. A gentle urge to the right people might get an agreement made.
View Quote

On Packing.org it says Alabama doens't require background checks and that is why there isn't reciprocity
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Mace & VTHOKIESHOOTER,

Looks like that's a gray area for Alabama:

NOTE REGARDING NON-RESIDENCE LICENSES

Will Alabama honor a non-resident concealed handgun license in addition to honoring the concealed handgun licenses issued to a resident of one of the states that recognizes and honors Alabama concealed handgun licenses?

Alabama issues concealed handgun licenses only to residents of Alabama, through the Sheriff of their county of residence.

Some states, with whom we have reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses, issue handgun licenses not only to residents of their state but also issue "non-resident" concealed handgun licenses to residents of other states.

[blue]At the present time, Act 2001-494 does not on its face specifically address the issue of Alabama’s recognition of a non-resident handgun license issued by a state with which Alabama has reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses. Nor is there a formal Attorney General's Opinion, or Alabama case law on this subject.[/blue] If an Alabama law enforcement agency requests and receives an official Attorney General's Opinion that opinion will be available to the public on our web site under the menu item titled "AG Opinions."

Until the Legislature, or a Court of competent jurisdiction, or an "official" Attorney General's Opinion addresses this question, our office's "unofficial opinion" is that, at this time, Alabama will honor non-resident concealed handgun licenses from a state which recognizes handgun licenses issued to Alabama residents. Since this is a new area of law and subject to change, we do urge caution. It is suggested that persons whose state of residence does not recognize Alabama concealed handgun licenses, periodically check our web site and the web site of the state that issues their non-resident concealed handgun license, as well as being aware of news stories and court cases on the subject.
View Quote

In my eyes that's going to boil down to the judgement of the officer in the field.

E-95
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top