Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 10:08:58 PM EDT
Getting interesting down there...

A new poll shows former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore with a commanding lead over Luther Strange, the Washington establishment backed candidate, heading into the GOP primary runoff for the Alabama U.S. Senate seat left open this year.

The poll from JMC Analytics provided to Breitbart News ahead of its public release shows Moore with 51 percent, a majority, supporting him, while Strange trails nearly 20 points behind with just 32 percent—and 17 percent are undecided...

...Despite this poll, this race is by no means over at this stage. McConnell’s allies are likely to, since they already dumped millions into backing Strange, go all in with tens of millions more...

...The next morning, Trump seemed to hedge his backing of Strange by congratulating both Moore and Strange via Twitter.

"Congratulation to Roy Moore and Luther Strange for being the final two and heading into a September runoff in Alabama. Exciting race!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 16, 2017
"...
View Quote
LINK
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fine with this outcome.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a fan of either of these candidates, but I think having a minion of Mitch McConnell in that seat would be a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Moore will win in a landslide.  As I've mentioned on other threads, about 70% of the GOP electorate is now "anti-establishment" as demonstrated by the cumulative support given to candidates perceived as outsiders (Trump, Carson, and Cruz).

The 70% number held in the primary.  Strange, the appropriately named establishment stooge, got only 30%.  I don't think his voters are very motivated.  Moore's are.  And most of the Brooks voters will likely support Moore as well.

I'd be surprised if Trump weighs in much more on this race.  Him supporting Strange earlier might have been a "I'll support you if you support me" message that was given in contrast to the one he is giving Flake in Arizona.  Plus I read where Brooks may not have been supportive of Trump early on, which might have been a consideration as well.

But even more important is the spiritual aspect to this.  It's like God hit the pause button by putting Trump in office.  Next, He might be ready to send His man to the Senate to proclaim the Truth and call out all of the liars and hypocrites.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If Brooks endorses anyone, I suspect it will be Moore.

I don't see him making nice with Luther Strange after he basically just outright lied about Brooks in several of his campaign commercials.  Why did you know that Brooks, the guy with one of the most conservative voting records in the House, supports Nancy Pelosi and ISIS?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't see him making nice with Luther Strange after he basically just outright lied about Brooks in several of his campaign commercials.  Why did you know that Brooks, the guy with one of the most conservative voting records in the House, supports Nancy Pelosi and ISIS?  
View Quote
That's nothing.

Roy Moore actually hates Jesus and kicks puppies.  He called John Wayne AND Bear

Bryant faggots.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd vote for a tomato before voting for another establishment tool.  I imagine a lot of other voters are done with establishment lackeys.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's nothing.

Roy Moore actually hates Jesus and kicks puppies.  He called John Wayne AND Bear

Bryant faggots.
View Quote
Yep.  Strange would sell his own mother to get that seat.  Even if he were not in Mitch McConnell's hip pocket, I don't want a guy in office that wants it that bad.

Besides, anyone that would give themselves a nickname like "Big" Luther Strange has to be a complete tool.

Hopefully Big Strange Luther will be headed home shortly.

The funny thing is that he ran for Attorney General so that he could set up and run for Governor before Session's senate seat opened up and the plan changed.  If this election goes the way it looks, he will go home as a regular citizen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's nothing.

Bryant faggots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nothing.

Bryant faggots.
Boy, if you could get that one to stick...  Talk about a sure fire way to guarantee your opponent would lose the election in this state.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boy, if you could get that one to stick...  Talk about a sure fire way to guarantee your opponent would lose the election in this state.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nothing.

Bryant faggots.
I hear that Big Luther Strange once burned Bear Bryant in effigy and that he has a shrine to Ara Parseghian in his home.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Trump will stay quiet on this race.  I don't think he wants McConnell's guy to win.  I think he supported him for show to a) have McConnell be indebted to him, and b) payback against Mo Brooks for being nasty to him.

I don't know much about these guys, but it looks like Moore is a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd vote for a tomato before voting for another establishment tool.  I imagine a lot of other voters are done with establishment lackeys.
View Quote
You, me, and millions of others!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I REALLY hope this anti-establishment trend widens and continues.  We need to get these RINO fucksticks out of office.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I REALLY hope this anti-establishment trend widens and continues.  We need to get these RINO fucksticks out of office.
View Quote
Hope in one hand, shit in the other.  See which hand gets full.

You want to see it happen, then DO SOMETHING.

Give cash to the right candidates.  Ring doorbells.  Put up signs.

Trump CAN NOT DO IT ALONE.

WE ALL HAVE TO DRAIN THE DAMN SWAMP.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this a good or a bad thing? I don't know shit about Alabama politics. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Think Ostfront.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bit of a mixed bag.

Luther Strange is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitch McConnell Inc.  So him being 19 points down is a good thing.

Former Judge Roy Moore is about as anti-establishment as they come, and definitely more conservative than Strange.  However, he's a bit of a Bible thumper.  More than a bit actually.  He was impeached from his state supreme court judge position for refusing to remove a copy of the Ten Commandments from his courtroom.  He also refused to certify gay marriages or something like that.

I'll take Moore over a McConnell stooge any day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not a fan of either of these candidates, but I think having a minion of Mitch McConnell in that seat would be a very bad idea.  
View Quote
"You must always chose the lesser of two weevils."

I was leaning toward Brooks, but I'm glad Uncle Mitch's butt boy is trailing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
And to think Sessions gave up a safe seat
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bit of a mixed bag.

Luther Strange is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitch McConnell Inc.  So him being 19 points down is a good thing.

Former Judge Roy Moore is about as anti-establishment as they come, and definitely more conservative than Strange.  However, he's a bit of a Bible thumper.  More than a bit actually.  He was impeached from his state supreme court judge position for refusing to remove a copy of the Ten Commandments from his courtroom.  He also refused to certify gay marriages or something like that.

I'll take Moore over a McConnell stooge any day.
View Quote
I agree wholeheartedly. And you're absolutely right that Moore is a thumper, but it seems to me that a good portion of his stand with the Ten Commandments and the gay marriage thing was about not bending to what he felt was federal coercion regarding issues belonging to the state. I voted Brooks in the primary but Moore definitely gets points with me for that. I'll gladly vote Moore over Stange and will be pleased if he represents us in DC.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll take Moore over Strange, no hesitation.

My only concern is Democrats en masse voting Strange.

#NeverStrange
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a fan of Moore, but I'll vote for him over another McConnell butt boy.  Someone told me the other day McConnell's last choice was Moore, but I haven't seen that in writing anywhere.  Either way, a McConnell endorsement losing his seat might make the rest of the RINOs a little nervous, hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It will be interesting to see how money is spent in this runoff.

Primary spending from memory:

Direct Spending (Candidate's own campaign spending)

Luther Strange   $2.9M
Mo Brooks         $500k
Roy Moore         $450k

Mitch McConnell's PAC spending on Luther Strange's behalf - $10M

Those numbers are rounded, not to the dollar exact but they aren't very far off.

So Strange outspent Brooks and Moore by about 26:1 each, with the vast majority of that coming from McConnell's PAC.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good thing. 

West Point graduate, former professional kickboxer, lawyer.  He likes a good fight. 
He was fired from AL Supreme Court because he wouldn't instruct the court to honor gay marriages, and wouldn't remove a ten commandments monument. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

#NeverStrange
View Quote
Open primary?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Open primary?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NeverStrange
Open primary?
 Yep 

You walk in, they ask Republican or Democratic, then check you off on the voter roll.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 Yep 

You walk in, they ask Republican or Democratic, then check you off on the voter roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NeverStrange
Open primary?
 Yep 

Although they did change the rules this year. I don't recall the details, but if you voted in the Democrat primary you might be ineligible to vote in the Republican runoff.  Not sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep.  Strange would sell his own mother to get that seat.  Even if he were not in Mitch McConnell's hip pocket, I don't want a guy in office that wants it that bad.

Besides, anyone that would give themselves a nickname like "Big" Luther Strange has to be a complete tool.

The funny thing is that he ran for Attorney General so that he could set up and run for Governor before Session's senate seat opened up and the plan changed.  If this election goes the way it looks, he will go home as a regular citizen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's nothing.

Bryant faggots.

"Home" is d.c as a lobbyist.  He omits that from his resume.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Although they did change the rules this year. I don't recall the details, but if you voted in the Democrat primary you might be ineligible to vote in the Republican runoff.  Not sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NeverStrange
Open primary?
 Yep 

I don't know how'd they'd implement that at my polling place.

Theres just a big list of names, and they place a checkmark next to yours when you receive your ballot (after checking ID), unless there are two boxes... or they are just relying on the honor system
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  Guy was a K Street lobbyist for about 8 years before becoming State AG.  That's why he had $2.9M in his direct campaign war chest vs the half million apiece that Brooks and Moore had.  Most of his was out of state money from his K street buddies.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yep.  Guy was a K Street lobbyist for about 8 years before becoming State AG.  That's why he had $2.9M in his direct campaign war chest vs the half million apiece that Brooks and Moore had.  Most of his was out of state money from his K street buddies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, people forget that little fact, or at least its overshadowed by appearance of impropriety when he got that Senate Seat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yep, people forget that little fact, or at least its overshadowed by appearance of impropriety when he got that Senate Seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blows my mind that it wasn't brought up in the primary campaign.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Theres just a big list of names, and they place a checkmark next to yours when you receive your ballot (after checking ID), unless there are two boxes... or they are just relying on the honor system
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NeverStrange
Open primary?
 Yep 

That's crazy.  Anyone trying to change the open primary fiasco?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NeverStrange
Open primary?
 Yep 

I don't think so, I mean you hear rumblings of discontent here and there, but as far as I understand theres no ballot measure or bill to do so.

Alabama politics is as dirty as anywhere in the Nation, the worst parts of "machine politics" the "ole boys club" and "identity politics" coupled with corruption and graft on a level that should be impossible for our meager economic ability.

Look into the Jefferson County Municipal Bankruptcy (and the Sewer System), JeffCo is the containing county for Birmingham.

Alabama does corruption on a level that would make Chicago and New York blush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top