Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2001 11:10:46 AM EDT
I have a weird problem with my Ak-47 (Its a SAR-1)... I have had it for about a year or so and I take much better care of it then I should.  I clean it after every trip to the range... I'd say so far, I've put between 600-800 rounds through her.  Here is my problem... After I oil it and then put it away in a case for storage, the next time I go to play with it, there is this shit brown grease like substance that is present around certain parts of the receiver and barrel... I don't use grease to clean it, and I would think that any grease that might have been applied before I bought it would be long gone by now... I have also noticed what appears to be a small rust stain underneath the barrel towards the front end... I shoot it indoors and never expose it to the elements... what is going on here???
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Scipio... Hmmm.. [:\] I have a SAR-1 too.  I can't think of the name of the crap that they pack them in to ship them here (cosmoline?)... But it's like some kind of Siberian axle grease or something.  Mine was so caked up with that stuff that I had to give it to a gunsmith, who kept it in his flowing solvent tank for about 5 days, before the crap finally came off!

Anyway, what I think may be happening in your case is that there is still some of that stuff left on the internal parts.  Your cleaning and lubing probably loosens it a bit and it globs up around the parts.

If it continues, I would recommend doing what I did... take the metal parts to a gunsmith and let him/her soak it for a couple of days in their solvent tanks.  Then just take it out, lube it again and it should go away.

BTW... I have about 400 rounds thru my SAR-1 and have yet to clean it (except for the above solvent tank episode).  LOL!!!  I probably will soon, however, just out of guilt.

Take care,
ARnSC
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second cosmoline as a likely cause. Have you completely disassebled it?  I cleaned some romanian .22 rifles and cosmoline was everywhere - just when you think you have it all, you find some more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It's cosmoline. Remove all the wood, then scrub the rifle with oven cleaner or hot soapy water.

Or you can do what I do, wipe it off as it oozes out of all the nooks and crannies you don't get into with a normal cleaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top