Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 6:08:52 PM EDT
Much to the dismay of my children I am considering selling my house (after they are both in college)and buying a trailer to live in. Since I am unfortunately single since my wifes death I feel I really don't need a big house in the burbs, and I am feeling rather nomadic at this point in my life. I have been a fan of the Airstream trailer since I first saw one as a little kid. Anyone with experience, good, bad or otherwise with these units?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Airstream = titty magnet

cynic
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad had a SWEET 30' Airstream when I was a kid. It was destroyed by Hurricane Agnes in 1972. I guess he should have chained it down or something....
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The wife and I are really into restoring vintage trailers. They are awesome - unlike the characterless, white crackerboxes you see all over now.

My recommendation is to buy one in need of some TLC and refurb it to your liking. Otherwise, you're going to pay some major cash for one already restored.

There's a couple of really nice, big ones for sale in my area right now.

If you get into it, I can turn you on to all sorts of suppliers/salvage places.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost noway to lose on buying a AirStream,Solid construction,fine amenities and floor plans totally liveable 365 day's a year just about anywhere you make home.

I don't own a AirStream but know theres plenty AirStream get togethers all across the country all the time....Be Nomadic,take the adventure,Enjoy yourself.

Hiwathl
      Triple Slide Trailer Rat
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll probably end up getting a new one. For several reasons. One, I'll have money from the sale of my house, and  will need to buy another or pay capital gains taxes,secondly I am not a really fix it up sort of guy. I want all of the new ammenities. BTW, do these things come with a generator. If not are they set up so that you can easily install one. Gotta have satellite TV and internet access too!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a 40' fifth wheel with double slide out. Beats an airstream hands down.
Having stairs in a trailer takes all the "trailer" feeling away. It feels more like an apartment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My Grandparents had 2 of them when I was a kid. (One got demolished in a TA with a dump truck.) I travelled all over with them during the summer. Some of my favorite childhood memories were mader in "The Silver Drag-On."

Very high quality. Very towable. Good Americana!

You will love it!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know what the story is on pricing of new Airstream trailers? Most of the sites I have looked at say the prices are "negotiable".
What is the real price you can negotiate on a trailer that lists for $50k??
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I would also suggets buying a newer trailer or RV, unless you really love the way the Airstream looks.  I hope to do the same thing when I retire.  Might keep some sort of cheap home base but travel the rest of the time.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever consider a Houseboat? I lived in one for two years. Womenz love em, and its nice to be able to move around like a trailer. The people you meet at Marinas kick ass as well.

[url]http://www.houseboat.com/[/url]

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I think they did away with capital gains taxes if your 55 or older and don't sell a home more than every 5 years or thereabouts. Most trailers don't come with generators and won't have a ready made,prewired, compartment to install one in. I on my third motorhome since 1981 and won't even look at a unit without a generator.A Gen. is great for spending a few hours at a rest stop or spending time in a state or national park to run the A.C. or other 110 volt items. Just be sure you run the Gen. a few hours a month to keep it loose and keep the gas flowing. I've seen more generators go bad from nonuse than I've seen wear out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know much about the amenities of the different RV's but I do know that you might want to look at slightly used rather than brand new.

The depriciation on RV's once off the lot is AWSOME!

There are lots of folks like you that go all out and then find that the life is not for them or folks that trade up/retire from travel.

Also with older couples when the old man gets sick or dies,widows usually have no use for a luxury RV/trailer.Sad as it is this happens often.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also if you're single and have lived in your residence(primary) two out of the last five years,there are no capitol gains taxes on your first $250,000.$500,000 for couples(if your wife passed recently ,might want to check out the couples exemption).

This is good for any age and every five years.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually, many travel trailers and fifth-wheels are factory-equipped with a compartment and wiring for a generator option. Due to the lack of on-board gasoline or diesel fuel, most gensets for RVs are propane-powered. This makes having large propane tanks essential, since the same fuel supply will also operate the furnace(s), hot water heater and fridge.

A recommendation: Consider having solar panels and an AC inverter installed. They will supply just about all the AC power you'll need for operating everything except the roof air conditioners, and will do it completely silently. That will allow you to "run silent" most of the time, reserving the generator for battery charging and occasional air conditioner use. Most factory-installed solar panel packages are crap, but the aftermarket has some excellent packages.

Here's a non-profit group that can quickly get you up to speed on All Things RV:

[url=http://www.escapees.com]Escapees RV Club[/url]

Best RV club going, by far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top