Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 5:34:12 PM EDT
Should I be at all concernrd about going to the range with less then 24 hours before a international flight? Was just thinking abput gun powder particals.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually "tune up" before any class I take, and, that usually requires
flying to said class 24 hrs or less after fireing anywhere from 100-500
rounds.  I've never had a problem.

Heck, I've never even had one problem at all with the counter people
when I check my evil looking AR in.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I frequently fly after shooting and I've yet to set off the ion detector swab test yet.  However, I did set it off once after playing with some fireworks before flying.  A little explanation and a body search later and I was on my way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell I passed the swab test and there probably was some C4 residue on some of my gear.  I didin't get a chance to clean my stuff before I came back from MOSQ (the quick and dirty Guard/Reserve school to change MOS's for prior service) for 21B- Combat Engineer.  I'm sure that there was some C4 and ANFO residue on my boots at least.  But then, it would have been just the post explosion residue, and it would have been on my boots mostly and would have been just carbon residue anyway I suppose.

Fired powder is really mostly carbon, so it's not going to set anything off.  Are you planning on wearing the same clothes without washing them and taking a shower?  That's about the most that I can see you needing to do.  Just don't have any unburnt powder especially.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Only time I ever had an issue with that residue thing was last year, but every bag I was flying with was some type of GI equipment that at one point or another in its life has been on one or more ranges with me. The detector must have gone off the scale from the residue, but the TSA guy laughed it off because it was so obvious why I was testing positive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The obvious would be to check as much as you can to your final destination, and go early. It just depends on who’s doing the test and the calibration of the equipment, I’ve been nailed due to my range bag touching my traveling suitcase for residue its been about 3-4 years ago, might have better equip and procedures now. Only thing it did was delay my going though the line and they wanted to look at everything inside my suitcase this was at a stateside airport once out of country never had anymore problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Fired powder is really mostly carbon, so it's not going to set anything off.  Are you planning on wearing the same clothes without washing them and taking a shower?  That's about the most that I can see you needing to do.  Just don't have any unburnt powder especially.

Change clothes? Your kidding right? It is winter after all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top