Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 11:51:31 PM EDT

Airline screening hassles may be cut

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The federal agency in charge of aviation security is considering major changes in how it screens airline passengers, including proposals that an official said would lift the ban on carrying razorblades and small knives as well as limit patdown searches.

The Transportation Security Administration will meet later this month to discuss the plan, which is designed to reduce checkpoint hassles for the nation's 2 million passengers. It comes after TSA's new head, Edmund S. "Kip" Hawley, called for a broad review in hopes of making airline screening more passenger-friendly.

An initial set of staff recommendations drafted August 5 also proposes that passengers no longer have to routinely remove their shoes during security checks. Instead, only passengers who set off metal detectors, are flagged by a computer screening system or look "reasonably suspicious" would be asked to do so, a TSA official said Saturday.

Any of the changes proposed by the staff, which also would allow scissors, ice picks and bows and arrows on flights, would require Hawley's approval, this official said, requesting anonymity because there has been no final decision.

"The process is designed to stimulate creative thinking and challenge conventional beliefs," said Mark Hatfield, TSA's spokesman. "In the end, it will allow us to work smarter and better as we secure America's transportation system."

The August 5 memo recommends reducing patdowns by giving screeners the discretion not to search those wearing tight-fitting clothes. It also suggests exempting several categories of passengers from screening, including federal judges, members of Congress, Cabinet members, state governors, high-ranking military officers and those with high-level security clearances.

The proposed changes were first reported by The Washington Post on Saturday.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]
 Thats all I have to say.........
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Before 2001 I remember flying and puting my 4" folding knife in the tray going through the detector, no problem. They even let me keep my nail clippers back then In Dallas in 2002 one time I had to throw away the fork in my shaving kit. Anyone think today, with what happened 4 years ago, a few guys would be able to hijack a plane with some razor blades if it was up to the passengers ? Probably not.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
dude them bows and arrows can do some damage.  I;ve always wanted to get into it.  just never have......yet
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My PSE will put a broadhead right through the bulkhead. If I did it in flight, the sudden depressurization would cause the plane to explode.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My PSE will put a broadhead right through the bulkhead. If I did it in flight, the sudden depressurization would cause the plane to explode.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats a myth proven wrong.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh! Everyones so serious this time of morning.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I r not... Did you not see the <----SEE!!!!!!!  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... It's nearly 2:30AM here. I'm seriously considering taking the chopper out for a cool, nighttime spin. Just concerned a bit about drunks leaving the bars though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top