Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 5:12:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If the president is ever on an Army aircraft, yes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Would that be a tank? I fail to see the practicality (not that I'd care about that, given the opportunity).
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Marines guard Camp David to. Not Army , whats that tell ya !

Semper Fi let the pissing match begin
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The President (Reagan) has been on an Army helo before.  It was on my trip site - a flood area inspection.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We have a president?
Who woulda thunk it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Nixon's 'V' departure was from Army One:

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder what would happen if for whatever reason POTUS climbed into a cessna/piper/ultralight/ hot ait balloon to go for a ride.

Would the aircraft become 'Taxpayer One'?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Nixon-depart.png

A Marine chopper with an Army Sgt. standing in front is still a Marine chopper.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, if the President decides he wants to drive around Washington in a specially outfitted M1A2 TUSK, I suppose that could be "Army One."
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
What if he fly's Delta?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The aircraft belonged to the USMC, but had alternating Army and Marine Corps crews. I think Nixon was the last administration for which this was true.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Then it's "Executive One."
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if it's flown by an Army crew (as was the case in this photo) it's Army One. If you don't believe me, check the National Museum of the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Delta 1 sounds cooler.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Delta 1 sounds cooler.

DAVID-14
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if it's flown by an Army crew (as was the case in this photo) it's Army One. If you don't believe me, check the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

I believe you , but it is still owned by the Marines.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Delta 1 sounds cooler.

Yeah, but that's reserved for a plane-load of sorority girls.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Right. The aircraft is currently on loan to the Nixon Museum. I'd love to see it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right. The aircraft is currently on loan to the Nixon Museum. I'd love to see it.

I got to see several ex Marine Ones in the bone yard.  They were still painted up in the Presidential Fleet colors and were being stripped for parts.  Kind of sad really.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
You guys can check wikipedia. Alongside Airforce One/Two, there's Army One/Two, Marine One/Two, Navy One/Two, and Executive One/Two.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got to see several ex Marine Ones in the bone yard.  They were still painted up in the Presidential Fleet colors and were being stripped for parts.  Kind of sad really.
No shit.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You guys can check wikipedia. Alongside Airforce One/Two, there's Army One/Two, Marine One/Two, Navy One/Two, and Executive One/Two.

Did you sniff out the David 14 reference in this thread?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is a department of the Navy...

I'm just messin with ya

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone old enough to remember this?  Not quite Army 1 (THANK GOD), but could have been.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure why some of you are getting worked up over the terms "Marine One" and "Air Force One". They are just callsigns used by the pilots once the Old Man is aboard.  The aircraft are generally called by a different name/callsign for roughly >80% of the general comms/references to it.  Its the general public that uses these names more than the people that work with them.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David 14 was the call covert call sign of the Air Force One aircraft in "Escape From New York" where the main characters name is Snake Plissken.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David 14 was the call covert call sign of the Air Force One aircraft in "Escape From New York" where the main characters name is Snake Plissken.

You know, you woulda thought ...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

He will end up in Atlanta.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Without his luggage.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, you woulda thought ...

Oh, yeah, I knew that I didn't know what he meant by sniffing it out when I was the one that said it to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Without his luggage.

Even though he was on a non-stop flight from Dallas to Orlando.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if he fly's Delta?

Actually, I'd shit if he had my experience on Delta.

I'm on a milk run, We land in BFE. The aircrew walks off and say they'll be back soon.

three hours later, someone boards and asks us WTF we're doing on the plane.

Angrily, we tell him we're waiting for the aircrew.

"Haven't you heard? Delta's on strike!"

Wonder how the Secret service would handle THAT one!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]
The Army command element call number is 'ZERO SIX' so wouldn't the call sign really be ' Army ZERO SIX'?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Army command element call number is 'ZERO SIX' so wouldn't the call sign really be ' Army ZERO SIX'?

No.  The White House doesn't run its radio comms by Army procedure/syntax.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Good Point didn't think of that. Why would you use his call sign in a tactical environment anyway. 'with code' would do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you , but it is still owned by the Marines Navy.  

You mean the Navy?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]
When Obama signs the executive order making teh ghey manditory in the uniformed services he'll make the announcment from Army One -
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good Point didn't think of that. Why would you use his call sign in a tactical environment anyway. 'with code' would do.

Its not as if anyone is is going to call the PRESUS on a radio.  There are well known callsigns that are sometimes used to refer to the PRESUS in radio traffic.... they are no secret.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#42]
The real answer is that the Army is too busy fighting wars and protecting this country.  The Marines have experience guarding the Navy Captain's mess so they were a shoo in for the contract to be the President's chauffer.  

The Marines are OK for flying around DC, guarding Navy ships and protecting fat ass embassy workers but if you want to take Baghdad by force you had better call the US Army.  When you call be sure to ask for the extention for the 3rd ID.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The real answer is that the Army is too busy fighting wars and protecting this country.  The Marines have experience guarding the Navy Captain's mess so they were a shoo in for the contract to be the President's chauffer.  

The Marines are OK for flying around DC, guarding Navy ships and protecting fat ass embassy workers but if you want to take Baghdad by force you had better call the US Army.  When you call be sure to ask for the extention for the 3rd ID.

Which service do you suppose makes up 90% of the White House Communications Agency?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Marines guard Camp David to. Not Army , whats that tell ya !

Semper Fi let the pissing match begin

It tells me that when the threat of German U-boats caused FDR to stop using the presidential yacht when he wanted to get away from the White House, they sent the existing Navy crew ashore to operate Camp David rather than transfer the operation to an Army unit.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You hit the nail on the head,  good thing we had you around to point out the error of our ways

You really don't know the real purpose of HMX-1 do you?

I guess the Marine Corps was just too busy to help you guys out in Iraq?  Not like we haven't lost guys over there either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#46]
When Bush flew aboard the carrier in the S-3, the plane was called Navy-1... I remember because they interviewed the pilot who said he got a kick out of the change in call-sign.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#47]
It's only Marine One because it is a Marine crew that flies and operates it. If it was an Army crew and pilots the Helo would be called Army One.

Marine's aren't the only ones with Helicopters...... He wouldn't have to just travel in a Army tank for him to travel with the call sign "Army One"

Stop it with the pissing contest. US Marines and US Army ARE the two most well trained and well equipped bad ass ground forces on the planet. We both have a real enough to fight, and not amongst each other. Army Infantry is bad ass just like Marine Infantry is. We're both very good at kicking ass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#48]
She looks evil/bitchy who is that?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
She looks evil/bitchy who is that?

A plastic monster...
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I thought Army One is the name of the porcelain when the President is dropping a deuce? :P

JK.... Its just so fun messing with you Army guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top