Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:09:30 AM EDT

its says "as much as 18 HP"
Honestly, whan can I expect from my 2003 Chevy S-10 4.3L Vortec?
This intake system is $129.

More power from your fuel-injected engine.
Airaid intake systems are specifically designed to take full advantage of today's vehicle technology, thereby increasing engine efficiency and horsepower output. Their unique inlet and track filter combination is substantially less restrictive when compared to OEM-type airboxes, improving airflow by up to 20 percent and power by as much as 18 HP. The intake tubes are constructed from either mandrel-formed, large diameter tubing or injection-molded polyethylene. Specially designed splash shields protect the filter from engine heat and inclement weather (tube type and splash shields depend upon the application). The filters are washable, reusable, and will last for the life of the vehicle. Lastly, Airaid intake systems are easy to install with basic hand tools, no fabrication is required, and most kits can be installed in as little as 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Hardly. Motors are nothing but an air pump that runs on it's own with assistance from the air/fuel mix burning in the cylinders. These "intake systems" reduces the slight intake track vacuum a motor has to overcome as it draws air through a stock airbox and paper filter.  These systems will most likely eliminate this restriction allowing the motor to more easily draw air in, but it in no way increases the amount of air stuffed into the cylinders. My experience with the K&N systems on sportbikes has show you pick up a few HP from reduced intake constriction, but you won't see much improvement unless the stock airbox and filter is really poorly designed for flow, or has kinks in the intake tube leading to the throttle.

YMMV.
Brian
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The K&N sticker alone is worth around 100hp.

Seriously, i got 10 out of my 95 mustang gt.  18 i doubt, but it will give u slightly more topend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
With an all stock motor I'd expect maybe half of the gains they advertise.  I imagine they use a car with headers and full exhaust then slap on the intake over a stock one to get those gains.  It'll definately sound better if you remove the big ol resonator and replace it with an intake without one.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The K&N sticker alone is worth around 100hp.

Seriously, i got 10 out of my 95 mustang gt.  18 i doubt, but it will give u slightly more topend.

Okay.  Thanks guys!  From talking with you guys and a couple other friends, I don't think its worth the money.  However I did just rn out and get the K&N performance filter to replace my standard.

I did not have a screwdriver to change it out in the parking lot, but I did put the K&N sticker on my truck, and somehow it just felt different.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe 1 horsepower. They do make the engine sound throatier though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
you might get 5-8 or thereabouts, add a less restrictive exhast and you might get 10-20 total, it's all about airflow. Other tricks on the same theme: bigger throttle bodies, high flow catalytic converters, porting intake manifold inlets, tuned headers
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
with the intake on you will notice lower end power and improved throttle response.

atleast thats what others have noticed on the Titan.

i put one on my civic and noticed improved throttle response on that also.  i think its worth it for the sound it gives the motor alone, the hp are just icing on the cake
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You'll get about 6 hp to the wheels or so. Nowhere near 18 but it will be a gain and it does sound better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
What they don't specify is where you get the extra 18 horses. It's neccesarily 18 more than the normal max output. Most often it's a gain in the low and midrange hp curve, and at max rpm (after the hp peak) due to the lower restriction in airflow.

As mentioned, most people notice the improved throttle response.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I run cone filters on my cars. They are a bit better than the stock air box on my cars after the 300WHP mark, and if you think that they sound cool with the NA motors, you should hear the difference they make when you put one on a turbo charged car. Talk about the whistle of death.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top