Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2002 2:25:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Are these things bad for you? Just in the blood pressure arena.

Take up cigar smoking!

S-I
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a report once about the candles you can burn and the amount of carbon those things generate.  Some were so bad that people would blow their nose and it would be black.

As for the plugin type things, I can't use them because they'll asphixiate (sp?) my pet bird.  So if we were going by coal miner standards, yes they're dangerous.

I walk past places like the "Yankee Candle Shop" and nearly pass out from the stench.  I have no idea how people can go in there let alone work for the damn place.

I concur,I hate them too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You could light one of these :)

[img]http://www.cigarwerks.com/img/cigar_monte_cristo_cda.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Try soy bean candles,no lead or carbon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Do what I do. Complain.

It won't help, but then again, it won't make any difference, either.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Those blue "TREE" type air fresheners called "bouquet" are the sickest-smelling shit on the face of the Earth.

I would rather live in a CS-filled room for a week. Well, not really, but you get my point!

Sorry to change the topic, but...Did you know that the "New Car Smell" of a new car is probably more deadly than most anything you will usually come into contact with?

The off-gassing of the plastics, carpet, paints, rubber moldings and electronic items goes on for years!

Have a nice day! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You should put Miltec-1 in all the potpourri jars. Mmmmmm....Miltec...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife will try and sneak some of that crap in the house from time to time. I get a sneezing fit going and give her a dirty look. She soon drags out the offending candle or whatever and shitcans it. I can't get within 50' of a perfume isle either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you know that the "New Car Smell" of a new car is probably more deadly than most anything you will usually come into contact with?

The off-gassing of the plastics, carpet, paints, rubber moldings and electronic items goes on for years!

View Quote

Yeah, I know. And you guys thought I couldn't afford a new car. Au contraire! I just let my butler drive around in it until the gases are gone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Definately stay away from the plug in types.
The one I bought for my mom had to be tossed.  Within a hour the whole house would be OVERPOWERED with a cinnamon smell!  It was sickening.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Sherm,
Been there done that.

The wife got into "Aroma therapy" candles...she previuosly went through the potpourri. She got over the boiling coldren of weeds, [xx(]thank God! But, we had candles on every freakin' table in the house...and a 100 of them in the bathrooms. [X]

I hate the perfuming smells...so, I proposed a compromise. I ask her if we could try the HEPA air filtering system..she said yes.

I bought 2 of the biggest ones they had. They have a filtering system and ionizer to [b]REMOVE[/b] smells and odors not mask them.

One in the living room...one in the bedroom. Gone were the candles and plug ins.

Also got the best "highest filtering" A/C filter I could get...guess what? The house smells wonderful and [b]CLEAN![/b]

She absolutely loves coming home to a clean smelling house. Clean? Yes, clean...you'd be amazed how your nose is affected by smells being [b]REMOVED[/b].

I just replace the HEPA filters periodically, I even got 2 smallers ones for my office and upstairs hallway.

I cannot believe we have not discussed the subject on this board before....at any rate, a filtering system will change her mind. I promise.

Everyone take note...smells that are artificially made, are bad for you. The candles are bad enough without your nose being bombarded with it's perfume.

Filtering will change your home...you cannot believe it.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to back up NakedGunman on this one.  I have a big HEPA filter running full bore in the living room.  I yanked all those stoopid Glade plug in things, and tried something new.....VACUUMING THE HOUSE THREE to FOUR TIMES A WEEK, along with the HEPA filter.  It took two weeks to vacuum all the stale CarpetFresh out of the frigging carpet.  I also put in one of those HEPA type furnace filters as well.
Now, instead of smelling like a dusty, dirty, dog house with candles and flowers, the house doesn't really smell like anything.  I can sleep without getting a headache and stuffy nose.  It is soooo nice.   The HEPA filters are da bomb.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate that crap too.
counter strike with this :
[img]http://www.championshooters.com/images/hoppes.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate the smell of that stuff, one time she put  potpurri (shit) on the carpet , befor vacuming....... Well I went Ballistic on  her and opened windows to get the smell out  !!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Subtle aromas such as vanilla, sandlewood, cinnamon, and incense don't bother me much. As long as the smell is not too loud.

What really does bother me is fabric softner. The smell of one of those tissues that go in the drier and supposedly do something to the clothes makes me ill. I don't know why but I start gagging if I smell one. Same thing with fresh bed linnen or towels with that smell on them.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hate that crap too.
counter strike with this :
[url]http://www.championshooters.com/images/hoppes.jpg[/url]
View Quote

YES!! This is the ticket. Get an eye dropper and fill the plug-ins with good ol' #9. Your house will smell better in no time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop being so pussy whipped and tell her to cut that shit out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top