Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 2:01:09 PM EDT
How often should I get my air conditioner serviced? I have a trane Xr15 about 3-4 years old I think. I just bought the house last year so I'm not sure if it has had any maintenance done to it.  What all preventative maintenance do I need to do?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
my guy does it once a year. Every once and awhile he shows me a part that is getting ready to fail so I have him replace it. This doesn't happen every year, but I have had no trouble since I started doing it 4 years ago. my system is 9 years old
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
every six months is recommended but at least once a year. Trane, Carrier and tempstar have all asked for customer records of maintenance being done when ordering replacement parts, based purely at random

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean your condenser coils and change  your filters, you will rarely see the service man this way.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
What about a window unit?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep everything clean, keep the fins outside washed out and clean, change filters regularly and check them monthly, make sure the condensate drain is open and quit giving money to "repair" people to "tune up" your A/C. Unless it's no longer cooling as it should and it sounds like it's not working properly, you're wasting your money. A Digital thermostat and a clamp or probe is really all someone needs to see if it's operating to spec as far as temps.

Amps draw is fast and easy for both compressor and fan, [outside unit, same for blower motor, cap readings, condition of the relay points. If it's running, sounds good, and cools as it always did, changing parts before they fail is a often nothing but a money maker.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most people consider those disposable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If its a larger unit you can slide out of the case you need to pull it out about 2/3 of the way and look at the inside of the cond coil. If its clean and you can see light through it easily it good. If its filthy and hardly any light can be seen through it you need to pull it out and clean that coil. I use foam and clean cond coil cleaner. Its strong stuff and burns when you get it on your skin but will make the coils look brand new.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Once a year have a professional come out.

Check, clean, or replace your filter every 30 days - 90 depending on the filter type and living conditions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Clean your condenser coils and change  your filters, you will rarely see the service man this way.

The easiest and most ignored maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would say this is true. If you really feel ambitious, order a spare start/run capacitor to keep around. They are famous for failing on the hottest days of the year. Oh and mice are famous for getting on top of them and shorting them out.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say this is true. If you really feel ambitious, order a spare start/run capacitor to keep around. They are famous for failing on the hottest days of the year. Oh and mice are famous for getting on top of them and shorting them out.

+1

5 year old house, and mine took a dump on the first hot day of the year.  It took me 10 minutes with the multimeter to figure out what it was, but it was late and the parts house didn't open until the next morning.  That was a miserable night.  In short, I missed a whole day of work (had to fix it, I was worried about my two toddlers), for a part that cost $8.33.

Have a spare.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I find more blocked EVAP or A coils than the condenser. Takes time to get in there, but cleaning them always makes a difference. Especially if smoker or pets and less than perfect filter changes or leaks around the filter.

Any signs of freezing typically means a pro needs to look at it. Otherwise, filter, clean condenser, and GTG.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
every six months is recommended but at least once a year. Trane, Carrier and tempstar have all asked for customer records of maintenance being done when ordering replacement parts, based purely at random  

coldie, you free this weekend? my A/C could use a checkup...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

coldie, you free this weekend? my A/C could use a checkup...

No HVAC guy in the country is free this weekend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top