Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh, wonder how much a .50 cal round costs?
Either that or a d....d.d.d.dddrone.  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Predator_and_Hellfire.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/0/0/Friendly_PREDATOR_MISSILE_by_adrak.jpg

I love the picture, but its a Reaper, not a Predator
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Amen.

If there is one general produced by WWII who truly "Got it" about the future of Warfare, it was Lemay.
View Quote

Yep.

“The long range future of the AAF lies in the field of guided missiles."  
Curtis Lemay, 1945
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I like this one better.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]

That is cool.
but do we really need a 500,000 per sortie bomber to do it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If they can hit a bobbing dingy, they can hit a moving truck  or tank.  This is a test case, or a challenge, that stretches skills and technical requirements.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they can hit a bobbing dingy, they can hit a moving truck  or tank.  This is a test case, or a challenge, that stretches skills and technical requirements.

View Quote

yeah.
we have been hitting moving targets for a while now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yeah.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.

Small boats are much harder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is cool.

Speaking of which...

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2013/09/17/retire-b-1-fleet-to-save-future-bombers-defense-experts/
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.

the laser thing on water is a good point and the more I think about it the more the counter measures (from the red side) start to come up.
I was referring more to LGB noting that this is a work up to trucks and tanks.  I was noting that its the other way around.
we started with trucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

the laser thing on water is a good point and the more I think about it the more the counter measures (from the red side) start to come up.
I was referring more to LGB noting that this is a work up to trucks and tanks.  I was noting that its the other way around.
we started with trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.

we started with trucks.

Exactly.  These boats are smaller, faster, more maneuverable and physics presents other challenges, one of which you noted.  AH-64 brings a lot to this fight as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice work.  

A handful of competent riflemen could make boarding that ship a real bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This seems adequate and significantly more cost effective than spending a $100,000s of dollars on b1 sorties.

http://youtu.be/RVnpY8HhTwU

Nice work.  

A handful of competent riflemen could make boarding that ship a real bitch.

That's great for pirates.

This test wasn't about pirates trying to board a ship.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.

I bet all the sailors say that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes

And why are still buying bombers?

"when satisfactory ground to ground missiles become standard equipment, the need for both air to ground and air to air weapons will be definitely decreased.  Of great importance is the long range ground to ground guided missile.  This will be the strategic long range bombardment airplane of the future."
Hap Arnold  1947
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
.... Ummm.... I'm fairly sure that's a training bomb...

Bomber pilots training to drop training bombs on training targets during training missions... Stop the presses!

That's a pretty impressive hit, actually... Even with modern PGMs.

I guess the author of that article doesn't understand that pilots need to train? And you might as well give them very difficult targets to train against. Doesn't get a lot harder to hit than a motorized fishing boat with a screaming engine.
View Quote

I would agree. This is more about a difficult training exercise and a demonstration of skill and technological ability than a policy decision.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is more about a difficult training exercise and a demonstration of skill and technological ability than a policy decision.
View Quote

I suspect it has to do with the .gov hatred of bass boats and is merely a continuation of Bush's War on Tourism.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I suspect it has to do with the .gov hatred of bass boats and is merely a continuation of Bush's War on Tourism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is more about a difficult training exercise and a demonstration of skill and technological ability than a policy decision.

Fucking bass boats. (grumble, grumble, grumble)
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]
At least with fiscal responsibility like this I have no worries about Social Security being around when I'm going to need it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At least with fiscal responsibility like this I have no worries about Social Security being around when I'm going to need it.
View Quote

So what specifically is wasteful here?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That image sums up our problems so well
View Quote

multi-million/billion dollar weapons platforms used against boats, mud huts, and goat-herders wielding AK-47's converted from shovels.  

It makes no sense.

$16,000,000,000,000.00

Right damn with you.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"when satisfactory ground to ground missiles become standard equipment, the need for both air to ground and air to air weapons will be definitely decreased.  Of great importance is the long range ground to ground guided missile.  This will be the strategic long range bombardment airplane of the future."
Hap Arnold  1947
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hap Arnold  1947

Because then ARFCOM would get all pissy when we smack a fishing boat with a MIRV.

I'm kidding. I'm a believer that most of the USAF offensive capability should be pilotless and non-air breathing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because then ARFCOM would get all pissy when we smack a fishing boat with a MIRV.

I'm kidding. I'm a believer that most of the USAF offensive capability should be pilotless and non-air breathing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hap Arnold  1947

There are huge problems with chucking ballistic missiles at enemies that are not technical in nature.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hap Arnold  1947

Airpower is inherently offensive and strategic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There are huge problems with chucking ballistic missiles at enemies that are not technical in nature.
View Quote

It doesn't have to be a ballistic missle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it gets very expensive very quickly. Recreating the human brain is not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Would the bomb even need to explode to be effective?  What if we put a smart bomb kit on a 2,000 pound chunk of concrete?
View Quote

Was just thinking the EXACT same thing. So much of this third world shit, just drop a big damn rock on it and you're good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

especially when your enemy has the same capability.
Its almost as if you would reach an equilibrium where direct conflict would be largely avoided and gains made through small, proxy wars that mostly concern challenges of influence over third parties.

hmmmmmm.
where have I heard this before?

“To stop the aggressor nation from even planning the attack, through fear of retaliation.  Air power should be seen not as a war fighting instrument but as an instrument of national policy. One capable of toppling the diplomatic balance and perhaps eventually creating mutual deterrence through terror between two nations both capable of power air actions.”

Major General Andrews, commander of the General Headquarters of the Army Air Force in 1939
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is cool.

Well, if that $500,000 sortie carries 24 stealthy anti-ship missiles 9,000 miles to take out a Chinese carrier group I'd say that's a powerful argument to it's value.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Was just thinking the EXACT same thing. So much of this third world shit, just drop a big damn rock on it and you're good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would the bomb even need to explode to be effective?  What if we put a smart bomb kit on a 2,000 pound chunk of concrete?

Only if you hit it.  Bombs throw off nice frag patterns if HOB is set properly.  Close enough counts with a bomb.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, if that $500,000 sortie carries 24 stealthy anti-ship missiles 9,000 miles to take out a Chinese carrier group I'd say that's a powerful argument to it's value.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is cool.

If the standoff is proper, you get the same effect with a P8.

Stop asking for an airframe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is cool.

I'm all in favor of having some super-duper high end whiz-bang shit with all the trimmings.

I'm not in favor of using them to kill dirt farmers with rusty Mosin Nagants in Afghanistan.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is cool.

No you don't.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]
If one LGB being dropped is getting people worked up, then this will make their heads explode.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Have you seen any of the liveleak videos posted here.

A bunch of morons cheering the annihilation of some goat-herder with a million dollar missile.  Then they can't understand why a few of his sons want to take some flight lessons..

Blow back...it...is...a...bitch.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xV16qje8prk/TVut9b1WHBI/AAAAAAAADXA/NZEYMONqU0A/s1600/alpacino019.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not a jdam.

Seems like overkill.

Have you seen any of the liveleak videos posted here.

A bunch of morons cheering the annihilation of some goat-herder with a million dollar missile.  Then they can't understand why a few of his sons want to take some flight lessons..

Blow back...it...is...a...bitch.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xV16qje8prk/TVut9b1WHBI/AAAAAAAADXA/NZEYMONqU0A/s1600/alpacino019.jpg

They would be fine with a B-52 caret bombing the entire village?  That can be arranged.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That image sums up our problems so wellhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2013/09/130904-F-XX000-023.jpg

multi-million/billion dollar weapons platforms used against boats, mud huts, and goat-herders wielding AK-47's converted from shovels.  

It makes no sense.

$16,000,000,000,000.00

http://www.usdebtclock.org/  

View Quote

You do realize the point was just to showcase capability, and they are not actually planning on sinking motor boats with B-1's right?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its almost as if you would reach an equilibrium where direct conflict would be largely avoided and gains made through small, proxy wars that mostly concern challenges of influence over third parties.

hmmmmmm.

“To stop the aggressor nation from even planning the attack, through fear of retaliation.  Air power should be seen not as a war fighting instrument but as an instrument of national policy. One capable of toppling the diplomatic balance and perhaps eventually creating mutual deterrence through terror between two nations both capable of power air actions.”

Major General Andrews, commander of the General Headquarters of the Army Air Force in 1939
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmmmm.

So we build these systems that are too powerful for either side to use...don't we still need more conventional forces to act in the proxy wars since we can't use our doomsday weapons?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is what you are looking at.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlaIl9J14H4

Take that video with a giant grain of salt or two.

All you guys that think a JDAM kit can be strapped to a chunk of concrete please stop.  It's an entertaining idea that will do nothing more than waste the kit.

View Quote
Yeah, the insanity!  Who would be stupid enough to do something like that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd be a proud American if the next goat raper that tries to pull a USS Cole attack gets a 2,000 lb present from a B1B on his fucking head, directly.

Maybe that is just me though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
For Somali pirates I would use the AC-130. Good range and loiter and lots of ammo. I don't imaging the Somalis have much in the way of anti aircraft weapons.

For Iranian speed boats smaller more manuverable aircraft would seem to be the ticket since you would be in range of Iranian air defenses.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That's not the same idea, and you know it.

That's a really old article, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlaIl9J14H4

Take that video with a giant grain of salt or two.

All you guys that think a JDAM kit can be strapped to a chunk of concrete please stop.  It's an entertaining idea that will do nothing more than waste the kit.

Yeah, the insanity!  Who would be stupid enough to do something like that?

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/07/world/us-wields-defter-weapon-against-iraq-concrete-bomb.html

That's not the same idea, and you know it.

That's a really old article, too.

Wait, so if it's old that means it never happened?  

How is it not the same idea?  Ok, I admit that saying "use a chunk of concrete" is simplified but I didn't want to type out "Take a GBU-24 practice munition, fill it with concrete and use it's guidance package to home in on the target."  
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#45]

That's nice, but it needs more SNIPER pod.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

That image sums up our problems so well
View Quote

It makes no sense.

$16,000,000,000,000.00

Why would they be dropping an inert bomb (painted blue, only inert bombs are painted blue) on a dinghy?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good when you want to go out there OP and fight the enemy I'll remember to tell you why I couldn't call in CAS for you when your position is being overrun.

When you actually have some skin in the game come back to us.

I love the appeal to emotion.  Even if it's totally ridiculous.  

I'm sorry, has GD instituted a policy of formalized debate?

If not, then your reply is pointless.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What is all the churned up water ahead of the boat?  Is it being pulled and if so by a manned boat?  I sure would want a LOOOONG tether between the two boats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has no one else noticed that R2D2 is driving the boat?

What is all the churned up water ahead of the boat?  Is it being pulled and if so by a manned boat?  I sure would want a LOOOONG tether between the two boats.

I imagine it was remote, similar to these jet ski's we used to play with:

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top