Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:03:04 PM EDT
Local airport had it's annual Air Fair this weekend. Sort of a mini air show. And I mean mini. About an hour away is a real airshow complete with the Blue Angels.

A P51 Mustang was supposed to be on display, but I hadn't heard it fly over. Nope, not there. Bummer.

But there were other planes. Most notably an AT-6 Texan. For $100 you could get a ride. Acrobatics included if you like. Didn't cough up for a ride. Maybe another time.

Plus a little silver plane. Has a stripe around the rear of the fuselage that looks like Swedish crowns. (?) And a red biplane. You could also get rides in it. Not sure on the silver one.

Here's the biplane you could ride in:

The AT-6 Texan taking someone for a ride:

As a bonus, there were US Army Special Forces parajumpers. Ha! The biplane just flew over the house. Anyways they sure didn't advertise that the parajumpers were going to be here. I didn't know they were there until I got to the airport and saw them loading up. A half hour later and I would have missed them.

The Texan returns:

As a footnote, I really hate my digicam now. I had a beautiful pic framed just before the jumper with the flag touched down. The flag was flowing in full glory, it was breathe taking. With a little black POW flag underneath. But my camera didn't refresh fast enough to capture it. Plus I had a great pic framed as the first jumper with the emblems on his canopy was directly overhead about 30'. Again, didn't refresh fast enough. Guess I gotta' start saving my nickels and dimes for a good SLR type digital.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:18:09 PM EDT
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:07:53 PM EDT
Great pics thanks for sharing them with us.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:06:36 PM EDT
bump for the late night crew
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:12:08 PM EDT
Where in CO are you? I'm down by the Springs and didn't hear anything aboot an air show. I'd have liked to see the S.F. jumpers. I might have known one or two of them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
Rifle. This was going on as part of the county fair. Or concurrent with it anyway.

Grand Junction has their big airshow this weekend also. It's the ones with the Blue Angels.

The guy in the fifth pic is an older gentleman. I was rather surprised. The guy with the flag is a civilian. Supposed to be the only civie "qualified" or whatever to jump with the Green Beret, so said the announcer. Lynn somebody. May have been a girl, but I think it's a guy. Never saw this person close enough to tell. I heard someone sugguest this may be a reserve group or something. One of the jumpers was a German, again via the announcer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:43:59 PM EDT
Sounds like folks from 5th/ 19th Group out of Watkins maybe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:55:22 PM EDT
Here's a picture of the first jumper, it's the only one I got of any of the guys:

Come to think of it, they also jumped out of a small private plane. Don't have any idea how they got to the airport.
Top Top