Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/23/2003 10:08:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2003 10:10:34 AM EDT by DzlBenz]
... posthumously by NY Gov. Pataki today.

Story

Pataki Pardons Lenny Bruce Posthumously
Comedian Lenny Bruce Granted Posthumous Pardon by New York Governor George Pataki

The Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. Dec. 23 — Comedian Lenny Bruce was granted a posthumous pardon by Gov. George Pataki Tuesday for a 39-year-old obscenity conviction prompted by a foul-mouthed political commentary.

Pataki called his decision, the first posthumous pardon in New York state history, "a declaration of New York's commitment to upholding the First Amendment."

The campaign to win a pardon for Bruce was supported by his ex-wife and daughter, more than two dozen First Amendment lawyers and entertainers including Robin Williams, the Smothers Brothers and Penn and Teller.

During a November 1964 performance at Cafe Au Go Go in Greenwich Village, Bruce used more than 100 "obscene" words. Undercover police detectives attended the show, and later testified against Bruce. The charge was Giving an Obscene Performance.

He was convicted following a six-month trial. Bruce mishandled his own appeal, and died with the conviction still on the books.

Facing legal and financial problems, the innovator of stand-up comedy died in 1966 at 37 years old of a drug overdose.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:19:58 AM EDT
Well I'm certain Lenny is thrilled to no end over this development, in fact I bet he have a snippy comeback for Pataki and NY......

F%#$ YOU, NY!

And this is what they call a civilized country, dang near 40 years to get pardoned for cursing, hell, if they were so offended, why the heck didn't they leave, vote with their feet!

Personally I thought some of his "schtick" was funny, if it weren't for him, Richard Pryor and George Carlin would be waiting around for their pardons too!

Mike  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:22:12 AM EDT
[NY State Govt]We have nothing to do.  We've crushed all crime, balanced the budget for the next millenium, fixed the roads and bridges, repaired the electrical grid, installed only environmentally clean equipment statewide, adopted patrol and utility vehicles that run on air, modernized the air traffic control system and helped all little old ladies across the street.
What now?  I know!  Let's pardon a dead comic![/NY State Govt]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:27:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:47:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
Let's see, Lenny Bruce died from a heroin overdose, curled up around a toilet in a bathroom that most of us wouldn't even enter.

Yep, sounds like heroic stuff to me! [:D]

Oh, and he cussed a lot, too!

Yep. A real shining beacon of liberty, all right!

Eric The(SavingHisKudosForBetterMen)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Lenny Bruce is no hero of mine, but I do think some of his comedy is pretty good. In general, from my scant knowledge of his indecency case, he fucked himself into jail by dropping the ball on his own appeal. I think he thought he could smart-ass his way out of the charge, and the judge, apparently, didn't think it was funny. It's a shame he couldn't have just moved on and used it to further his comedy, instead of using it as a reason to further his dependence on drugs.

Also, I'm pretty sure he OD'd on morphine, not heroin, not that it matters one iota.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:03:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:17:14 AM EDT
Perhaps poor Lenny was too heavily weighted with the question, "Am I only to be remembered as the guy who works 'blue'?" Some of his comedy was purely humorous, but I have to wonder if it would have been just as funny "clean" or not. I doesn't matter. He checked out, naked and alone, as did many drug addicts of his era. I suppose that one could ponder "What if...?" with regard to Lenny, Jimi, Jim and countless others, but to waht avail? They made the mark they did when they were with us, and we're left with whatever sliver of genius we choose to embrace after they-ve gone. Lenny Bruce was a funny guy -- to a point. Now he's just dead.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:26:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun:

'So long as there are people starving in this world, any preacher who owns more than two suits is a G-d damned hypocrite!'
View Quote

And what does that say about Lenny? I think he has 3 fingers pointing back at him with that.

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
F%#$ YOU, NY!
View Quote

I think you are right, Mr. W. I can see Lenny being such an ingrate as to say that.
Generally, it's not a good idea to issue pardons long after the fact. Rather than being grateful, most people throw the gift out asking "why so long?" Certainly not the honorable response.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:45:14 AM EDT
If only he were as committed to upholding the 2nd Ammendment!
Top Top