Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2001 5:26:02 PM EDT
I got some colibri and super colibri rounds at our recent gunshow and tried them out at the range. They were so quiet I tried them in the garage with my airgun setup. I use a hanging, putty-filled pellet trap with a plywood backstop. Form ~20ft. away, the putty stopped the  bullet cold. These make way less noise than my air rifles due to their spring noise. Actually, almost all of my airguns shoot about 800 fps which is close to the velocity of the colibri's. When it starts raining here this winter, I'll be doing more .22 rifle shooting indoors. I may need to get a .22 pistol now! I guess I'll have to get a range permit, airborne lead residue removal system.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always used CBlongs' from CCI. Damn things are as loud as a strong clap of the hands. I'll have to try those Colibri though. I usually take a cardboard box and stuff it with newspaper and magazines then put an 8 inch shoot'n'see on it.

Alex
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Out of a Henry .22 lever action, all you hear is the hammer fall with the little Colibri's. ~400fps and primer powered only and the little 20gr bullet will penetrate a galvanised pail at 20ft.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I live out in the county and have a safe backstop, but I've had the sheriff called on me so many times for shooting the dispatcher knows me be name. I finally started calling him first so they wouldn't have to come out. This seemed like a fair idea, and they haven't came out in over two years.
Sometimes however I take my sons out with the .22s. My oldest likes to shoot clay targets on the berm because they break. It doesn't matter what they are hit with to break.
We found that when we use Colibri ammo, we don't have to worry about the neighbors calling in or the sheriff. We're happy. BTW my oldest also likes my .45.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a brick of .22 sss Aguila at the gunshow yesterday. Would I need a pair of ear muffs if I shot it from my 10/22 with a match barrel out of my back door? Would my neighbors call the cops?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
ARChoo,
I just went out and shot some .22sss a couple of hours ago and no you don't need ear plugs. They do hit harder then the Colibri and are a little louder but no ear plugs needed.
The other depends on the neighbors.
SK
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Colibris are awsome
with a decent rifle all you hear is click so awsome i need to get me some [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I found the SSS to be noticeably louder than the Colibri rounds. I think the SSS are still quieter than you standard .22lr. Years ago I searched and found a .22 single shot (Remington model 514) that would shoot shorts as well as lr rounds and that's what I'm using today. BTW this was one of my better pawnshop buys - I got the 514 and a fiddle for $100 back in the early '80s, and both of them work great. Now I need to find a good deal on Aguila ammo, the Colibri rounds cost $2.50 and $3.00 (Super Colibri) per box of 50 at the show.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Out of a Henry .22 lever action, all you hear is the hammer fall with the little Colibri's. ~400fps and primer powered only and the little 20gr bullet will penetrate a galvanised pail at 20ft.
View Quote

They wont go through my combat boot at 5 yards. Only get imbedded in the leather, and have a range of 20 yards then drop fast. CCI CB shorts through a rifle is quiet and powerful.
GG
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot the colibris on a regular basis off of my back deck with no mishap from the neighbors, but then, I also shoot a lot of fireworks at all times of the year.  One neighbor thinks I'm a nut, the other is LEO and doesn't care on whit.  I LOVE Alabama!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember that with the semi-auto's (10/22's) the subsonic stuff won't cycle the bolt.

Still fun though and will decapitate a squirrel within 70 yards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Nor will they even manually cycle through a 10/22 magazine.  Gotta load 'em one by one in mine.  I should know, this thread got me so happy I just shot a few off my back deck.  They do scare the shit outta my goat, though!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Went to the pistol club last night and shot my SP101 and Kimber classic. I tried shooting Colibri and Super Colibri out of my .22 Kimber conversion for the .45 and had to rack each round. It was funny listening to a friend shooting his 1911 and then hearing those little Colibri's go off. I could punch paper at 25ft.! WOW! I went back to shooting .45 after the novelty wore off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Remember that with the semi-auto's (10/22's) the subsonic stuff won't cycle the bolt.
View Quote

Actually that is incorrect.  I have shot remington subsonic's through a couple 10/22's and they functioned fine.  Even with a 30 rounder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#16]
With a rifle, the Super Colibris are the way to go.  The regular Colibris are too weak and slow to be much fun.  Out of a pistol, however, the regular colibris are fun.

Out of my Marlin bolt action, the super colibris are almost completely quiet.  The action noise is louder than the round going off.  They are much quieter than CB caps and do not richochet like the CBs do.  That makes a big difference when you are shooting in a confined area.

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Colibri's are pretty useless beyond 10 yards.  They start swerving randomly and drop bad past that point.  Aguila SSS are a different story entirely.  You can put them right on target at 100 yards, and have far more muzzle energy than CB's.  Too bad they're too loud for shooting in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Gun Guru - that'z cuz your boots are tougher than the galvanised pail I was shooting at [:D]

I _swear_ I can actually see the Aguila Colibri's heading towards the target.  Am I crazy or do others see this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
A local shop sells the colibri and the owner wanted me to try some.  He has a couple of the Rossi .22LR/.410 ga. combo single shots, and grabbed one of those.  The colibri hardly makes a sound, and a phonebook stopped it cold.
Funny thing was, the ejector on the Rossi single-shot sent the case flying back at what seemed to be close to the speed the bullet left the barrel![:O]
[heavy]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
They manually feed in my 10/22 but the tips of the bullets are deformed.  I dunno if it's on the barrel or the magazine.  Maybe that's why they are inaccurate for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually that is incorrect.  I have shot remington subsonic's through a couple 10/22's and they functioned fine.  Even with a 30 rounder.
View Quote

BB caps and CB longs won't feed or cycle in my 10/22.  Quieter than most airguns though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top