Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2002 8:28:43 PM EDT
Ok, I know this is the wrong forum but it's after midnight and I need help pronto. The other day I got a RRA 9mm upper for one of my buds. For shits and giggles I thought I'd put it on my Colt lower to see what mine will look like when I eventually get it.

Looked good, everything was cool UNTIL I charged it. Now the bolt carrier is stuck in a halfway position. No matter haw many times I recharge the bolt it goes all the way back and only HALFWAY forward.

This means I CANNOT remove the upper. The bolt is holding it in place.

It is a RRA 16" 9mm upper on a preban Colt AR15 HBAR lower w/ A2 buttstock. I cannot get the bolt forward enough out of the buffer tube to remove the upper. It backs up and goes to the same point easy enough but something appears to be grabbing it halfway.

Does anyone know what is the problem? Or better yet got a simple easy solution to removing the upper without hosing either my Colt preban lower or the brand new upper that belongs to one of my favorite people?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
TBS' solution will work. It's the .223 hammer that's blocking it, BTW, had the same thing happen to me when I built mine for m dad, and racked the acttion with the .223 hammer in it.

All locked up. Removing the buffer tube works, if it's still stuck, drive out the hammer pin to give yourself some more wiggle room.

Juggy
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hammer pin goes out left to right or right to left?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hammer pin goes out left to right or right to left?
View Quote

I usually drive it out from right to left, but I think it can go either way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Hammer pin can be driven out either way-direction not an issue with AR15's.

and TBS, the top of the .223 hammer will usually catch a Colt-variant 9mm bolt.

Juggy
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Juggy, I got it. You were right. Freaking hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top