Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2010 7:50:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 7:55:50 AM EDT by TacticalMOLONLABE]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:00:00 AM EDT
Here is pic my wife took on the way home last night. She drove by it a few minutes after the initial blast.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:01:41 AM EDT
Obama did it, to distract from the Koran burning.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:02:54 AM EDT
Get that chip fixed on your Mini.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:04:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LOW2000:

Thats not a chip. ITS A UFO!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:09:14 AM EDT
My wife's family lives on the perimeter of that damage. they weren't home when it happened and weren't allowed back so they spent the night with us in Belmont.

Freakin horrible scene. Those poor folks there at dinner time. I suspect the death toll will rise. That area is full of good hard working people. I wish the best for them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:14:27 AM EDT
What exactly happened? Did someone's Glock 20 KB?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:14:52 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:15:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BadShovelhead:
My wife's family lives on the perimeter of that damage. they weren't home when it happened and weren't allowed back so they spent the night with us in Belmont.

Freakin horrible scene. Those poor folks there at dinner time. I suspect the death toll will rise. That area is full of good hard working people. I wish the best for them.

I am glad they are ok.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:17:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TacticalMOLONLABE:

Originally Posted By BadShovelhead:

I am glad they are ok.

Thanks we were worried for a good bit and very relieved when we got the first call saying all were accounted for.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:18:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:19:37 AM EDT by AR15fan]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

A 24" Natural Gas line exploded. Residents reported smelling natural gas commin from the storm drains and sewers for 3 weeks prior to the explosion.

between 38 & 53 homes totally destroyed. 110 homes damaged. over 100 cars destroyed. 4 bodies recovered so far and they havent even started checking the damaged or destroyed homes for additional bodies.

People that immediately fled the area in their cars had their bumpers and tail lights melt from the radiant heat. Anyone that didnt immediately drop what they were doing and flee in seconds will likely be found dead once recovery operations start. The timing was bad as well. Early evening when most folks were home from work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:20:11 AM EDT
HOLY CRAP
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:21:50 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

A 24" Natural Gas line exploded. Residents reported smelling natural gas commin from the storm drains and sewers for 3 weeks prior to the explosion.

between 38 & 53 homes totally destroyed. 110 homes damaged. over 100 cars destroyed. 4 bodies recovered so far and they havent even started checking the damaged or destroyed homes for additional bodies.

People that immediately fled the area in their cars had their bumpers and tail lights melt from the radiant heat. Anyone that didnt immediately drop what they were doing and flee in seconds will likely be found dead once recovery operations start. The timing was bad as well. Early evening when most folks were home from work.

San Bruno fire chief puts explosion death toll at 6

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:28:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:29:06 AM EDT

wow
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:31:55 AM EDT by DragoMuseveni]

Someone needs to cook for that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:32:02 AM EDT
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=473

3 firefighters being transported to hospital

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 223Sauce:

Neither, its water. She just used the wipers and some drops blew off the blades. Dirty ass windshield. Good call with the mini though
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:22 AM EDT
My aunt has one of those underground salt domes they store propane in not 500yds from her house. We really should talk about contingency plans.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:33 AM EDT
WOW

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:36:57 AM EDT

Amazing picture... you can still see what looks like venting gas. Pilot has a pair to be flying into it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:00 AM EDT
Damn, that's a big hole.

Hope your parents house was ok, BSH.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:38:29 AM EDT by Frost7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Plumbata:
My aunt has one of those underground salt domes they store propane in not 500yds from her house. We really should talk about contingency plans.

Not to be rude, but likely your only contingency is to make sure her dental records are up to date.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:39:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:40:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sparsedirect:
Originally Posted By Plumbata:

Not to be rude, but likely your only contingency is to make sure her dental records are up to date.

Most likely, but I'm an optimist.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:42:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:43:39 AM EDT by TacticalMOLONLABE]

Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:

Amazing picture... you can still see what looks like venting gas. Pilot has a pair to be flying into it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:43:42 AM EDT

Wow somebody is going to be held accountable for that one...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:45:27 AM EDT

3 weeks??

That court settlement is gonna be a big'n. I mean a fucking BIG ONE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:46:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TacticalMOLONLABE:

Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:

http://latimesphoto.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/la-san-bruno-fire018_l8ijxdnc.jpg

http://latimesphoto.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/la-san-bruno-fire016_l8iid7nc.jpg

That ax on the belt rig does not look exactly safe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:47:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:47:43 AM EDT by brassburn]
Seems likely that underground pipeline was saturating the soil with gas for weeks. I bet that was a big contributor to the wide area of the explosion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:47:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:52:06 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 9:02:30 AM EDT by TacticalMOLONLABE]

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:09:23 AM EDT
damn thats horrible. smelled gas for 3 weeks?

The video the news photographer took shows some serious flames, a giant ball of fire blasting out behind some burning homes....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:09:36 AM EDT
Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:10:22 AM EDT

V?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:32:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:44:00 AM EDT
Prayers for those involved. Hellfire for those who took the complaints for 3 weeks and did nothing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:50:15 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:34:51 AM EDT
Found some other pics

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:47:18 AM EDT
Wow... those pics are disturbing... very Fallout-esque.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:50:09 AM EDT

Lol I thought it was a helicopter
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:56:52 AM EDT
The pipe in that area was notated as high risk. I don't know if that was from age [not usually] condition or because they were running pressures above it's typical operating norm. I'm guessing it was the last one. That usually requires a shorter survey schedule then one operating at it's normal pressure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
The pipe in that area was notated as high risk. I don't know if that was from age [not usually] condition or because they were running pressures above it's typical operating norm. I'm guessing it was the last one. That usually requires a shorter survey schedule then one operating at it's normal pressure.

I think heads are gonna roll.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:03:11 AM EDT
if it was a state/government utility - there will be plenty of excuses and justification of this horrible "accident."

if it was a private utility - there will be calls for government intervention, increased monitoring and state/government control over these vital resources - to save lives.

My guess... given the 3 weeks of notice, warnings and complaints of NG odor - this was a state/government-run utility?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 2:53:52 AM EDT by fxntime]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
if it was a state/government utility - there will be plenty of excuses and justification of this horrible "accident."

if it was a private utility - there will be calls for government intervention, increased monitoring and state/government control over these vital resources - to save lives.

My guess... given the 3 weeks of notice, warnings and complaints of NG odor - this was a state/government-run utility?

I don't think it was. It's just not that hard to find a large leak on a pipeline. [if multiple people are complaining it's large enough to be found] However, the utility and management have to be willing to schedule the time to let the employee/s do their job and most utility companies have really cut the hell out of that level of personal over the past few years. The work is still there, it's just that the people are not. That area should have been run in it's entirety, all the services, all the meter stands and all the mains. The mains that ran along streets could have been run with a "sniffer" truck, the rest walked using a Southern Cross or something like it. However, due to the "risk management" mentality that has pervaded utilities in the past 10 years, I'm betting someone decided [management] to let it go and that it would be found sooner or later when it got a bit bigger. There is a crapton of fed regs concerning pipelines and NG already, they don't need more, what they do need however is company management willing to allocate personal when you have multiple complaints about leaks and the personal to do it.

I also wonder if they [PG&E] have been contracting out their surveying, it was a disaster when the company I work for did it, because those hired didn't do their job in the least, one of the guys took it upon himself to re-survey a trailer park [once a year per regs] that the contractor employees said there were no leaks in [almost an impossibility IMHO] and found over 40. He got his arse reamed but in the end, it was found that the subcontracted employees were just sitting in their vehicles and marking off services as being surveyed. Little wonder that they could do double the work [as the company was touting] as they were in actuality, not doing some of it at all. The department that is supposed to do the surveying is so short on personal that those of us that are certified to do so in another department are actually doing a lot of it instead. The company KNOWS ahead of time what is going to have to be surveyed [it's all on a rotating schedule] so it's not a surprise at all yet they ax'ed half of that department and got rid of those that surveyed to "save money" even tho it's something that is mandated by both the State and Feds.

I'm pretty sure you'll hear screaming by those that live in the neighborhood that lines like this shouldn't be in a residential area but I'm betting it was there first.

Guess what I'm doing for work this week? Leak survey...................
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:42:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

I don't think it was. It's just not that hard to find a large leak on a pipeline. [if multiple people are complaining it's large enough to be found] However, the utility and management have to be willing to schedule the time to let the employee/s do their job and most utility companies have really cut the hell out of that level of personal over the past few years. The work is still there, it's just that the people are not. That area should have been run in it's entirety, all the services, all the meter stands and all the mains. The mains that ran along streets could have been run with a "sniffer" truck, the rest walked using a Southern Cross or something like it. However, due to the "risk management" mentality that has pervaded utilities in the past 10 years, I'm betting someone decided [management] to let it go and that it would be found sooner or later when it got a bit bigger.

I'm pretty sure you'll hear screaming by those that live in the neighborhood that lines like this shouldn't be in a residential area but I'm betting it was there first.

Guess what I'm doing for work this week? Leak survey...................

If this WAS a private industry, they will [rightfully] lose their ass if a management decision cost six people - or more - their lives because someone was too damn lazy, dumb or cheap to investigate multiple reports of NG in the same area. Unfortunately, those legal costs will just be passed on to the consumer in one way or another.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:12:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 3:20:23 AM EDT by mattja]

Note the location of the crater.

It's at the far left of the pic right in the center. There is what appears to be a red vehicle parked next to it.

This is the corner of Earl and Glenview.

Can you imagine that pipe exploding 10 feet in front of your house?

ETA another pic of the crater.

The SFGate.com reader comments are priceless. Lots of commies, for sure. But this guy makes a point I think will be shoved up PG&E's ass in the coming weeks.

Blood profits

So PG&E had $40 million to try to enshrine its monopoly in the California Constitution (Prop. 16 on the June ballot) but nothing to protect the residents of San Bruno from a defective gas line costing lives, a neighborhood devastated and SmartMeters that aren't smart for consumers.

I hope the stockholders are happy with their blood profits.

Vicki Leidner, San Francisco

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/13/EDU21FCG96.DTL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top