Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 1:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:50:34 PM EDT by DefMan]
Been a while since I last saw a thread on this. About 4 years ago, I did an upgrade on my 2011 Chevy Impala with 35W 8000K kit using a relay. Had a couple of problems that was fixed by removing the DRL fuses. I'm getting the itch again. Been reading up on that I am better off getting a ballast with CANBUS. Gonna do my 2012 Kia Sorento low beam headlights with either a 6 or 8000K bulbs. My low beams are projector lens so blinding other shouldn't be an issue unless I need to adjust the lens I'm aware of laws or police having issues with it but here they're all over the place even the ridiculously purple dark blue ones . The white or light tint of blue gives me an advantage of making signs and markers "pop-up" in low light areas like rural roads. Allows me to see them a little further than stock halogen bulbs. My question is this, anyone using a CANBUS ballast still need to use a relay kit? I was told no. My car don't have DRLs or automatically come on when it gets dark. I bought my last kit from eBay and it last well until my car got totaled months later.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:50:09 PM EDT
You're going to get called a lot of names in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:51:15 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
View Quote

Yup. I have HID on my truck and love them. But Im an asshole.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:51:43 PM EDT
View Quote

Well, I sure hope not. Last thread nearly 4 years ago was very helpful and informative. But GD is different than 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:53:35 PM EDT
did you check http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php? I bet they know.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:12 PM EDT
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:19 PM EDT
CHP already doesn't like my bro dozer. No way I'm giving them a good reason to pull me over. HID kits are not legal here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:55:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dash_ISpy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dash_ISpy:

This too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:07:42 PM EDT
Mine are not going to be blinding people or throwing bright light all over the place like a regular headlight lens do. But if that makes me an (insert name here), so be it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:08:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DefMan:

Well, I sure hope not. Last thread nearly 4 years ago was very helpful and informative. But GD is different than 4 years ago.
View All Quotes

IIRC there was a doozie in the last year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:11:45 PM EDT
there's no proof that they'll be functional after an EMP so I don't see the point in them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:12:29 PM EDT
Not legal to put kits in here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:14:05 PM EDT by gym007]
Make sure that you put them in reflective headlight housing so you look like this coming down the road

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:13:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bedouin2W:
there's no proof that they'll be functional after an EMP so I don't see the point in them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:15:12 PM EDT
Mine are not going to be blinding people or throwing bright light all over the place like a regular headlight lens do. But if that makes me an (insert name here), so be it.
View Quote

Just as long as you realize it. :-)

I haven't yet seen an aftermarket kit install that went well. I just tell people now that if you're doing it for show, go ahead, whatever. If you're going for performance or safety, just don't as odds are strong that you'll just make things worse.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:16:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gym007:
Make sure that you put them in reflective headlight housing so you look like this coming down the road

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8HrpoSslqdE/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote

Hell, no. That's how it was at first until I put in projector beam lens. Now my low-beams come with them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:30:00 PM EDT

Hell, no. That's how it was at first until I put in projector beam lens. Now my low-beams come with them.
View All Quotes

If you did a projector retrofit it should be OK. Probably still not legal, but if you're not blinding people I doubt anyone will care.
Just use an A/C, not D/C ballast. At least that's what my gearhead friends say, I've been out of the cars and motorcycle modding scene for years.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:37:46 PM EDT
Projectors for standard bulbs are different then ones for HID's, however sometimes they work fine, you won't know till you try. Also why 8k? 4300 will give optimal output, I wouldn't go past 5k unless you just want them cause it looks cool.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:44:46 PM EDT
8000k does not give off usable illumination. Keep it between 4300k and 5000k.

If you have typical halogen projectors, PLEASE re-aim them down to not blind everyone or retrofit some HID projectors from theretrofitsource.com.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:46:36 PM EDT
8000K? That's retarded.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:46:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:51:29 PM EDT
My last 8000k wasn't that blue back then. It was probably because of cheap bulbs. But I'm leaning towards white light. My eyesight is not the same as back then. I have glasses now. So far it looks likes decision of 4300K to 6000K Not gonna need the blue. Still deciding.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:06:12 PM EDT
My last 8000k wasn't that blue back then. It was probably because of cheap bulbs. But I'm leaning towards white light. My eyesight is not the same as back then. I have glasses now. So far it looks likes decision of 4300K to 6000K Not gonna need the blue. Still deciding.
View Quote

4300 will give you the most lumens, as you go higher you will be trading off output for color. Also the higher the color the more strain it will place on your eyes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:12:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul:

All the aftermarket "kits" are not legal in any state because they exceed the allowable levels of glare. - from a Google search.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
CHP already doesn't like my bro dozer. No way I'm giving them a good reason to pull me over. HID kits are not legal here.

All the aftermarket "kits" are not legal in any state because they exceed the allowable levels of glare. - from a Google search.

I wonder if they ticket for this outside of Ca?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:28:31 PM EDT
Its not the intensity but rather the bluesh tint that bothers me when seeing them from coming traffic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:32:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
View Quote

Huh?

They came stock on my truck...how can the be illegal?

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:17:57 PM EDT

aftermarket HID are considered an illegal retrofit. OEM HID's are considered legal.

The problem with the majority of HID installations are that they are put in an headlight that doesn't have a projector or are developed for HIDS. These housings scatter light quite badly.

Compounding this problem is people don't understand what the kelvin rating stands for. Most people have misinterpreted the kelvin rating as the higher being brighter. This isn't true, in fact the higher kelvin rating you go the less usable light there is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:21:42 PM EDT
Start here: Daniel Stern Lighting
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:22:43 PM EDT
LOL @ 8000K

Are you one of the ones that thinks higher the K means brighter?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:24:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By runner6m:

If you did a projector retrofit it should be OK. Probably still not legal, but if you're not blinding people I doubt anyone will care.
Just use an A/C, not D/C ballast. At least that's what my gearhead friends say, I've been out of the cars and motorcycle modding scene for years.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runner6m:

WTF is a DC ballast? the whole point of the ballast is to convert DC into AC

I'm more curious about these LED headlights I see all over ebay and amazon now.

anyone tried a direct replacement LED bulb?
Top Top