Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2010 6:43:20 PM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101215/ap_on_bi_ge/us_safer_cribs

WASHINGTON – It's the end of the traditional crib that has cradled millions of babies for generations.

The government outlawed drop-side cribs on Wednesday
after the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade
and millions of recalls.

It was a unanimous vote by the Consumer Product
Safety Commission to ban the manufacture, sale and resale of the cribs,
which have a side rail that moves up and down, allowing parents to more
easily lift their child from the crib.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it's my miracle that my children survived infancy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
3 deaths a year and they need to be banned?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Resale is banned.

That should frighten you to death.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Resale is banned.

it does... How the fuck can they do that
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Government saving us from our furniture.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much anything can kill. There are retards that drink too much water and die. Ban water for the children.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Resale is banned.

By decree via an agency of non-elected members.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
And in other news in the land of the free... Dannon Yogurt is no longer allowed to say that eating yogurt helps you stay regular, per the FDA.

I'm sure glad all the important problems in the country are resolved and the federal agencies have the time, budget and resources to tackle these other issues.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at the political hacks populating the CPSC

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/about.html

Inez Moore Tenenbaum was nominated by President Barack Obama on June 9, 2009 to serve as the ninth Chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Ms. Tenenbaum was confirmed by the Senate on June 19, 2009 and sworn into office on June 23, 2009 to a term that expires in October 2013.

Ms. Tenenbaum was elected South Carolina's State Superintendent of Education in 1998 and completed her second term in 2007. Throughout her career, Ms. Tenenbaum has been an energetic and determined advocate for children and families and has extensive experience in administrative and regulatory matters.

During her tenure as South Carolina's State Superintendent of Education, student achievement in South Carolina improved at the fastest rate in the nation, with scores increasing on every state, national, and international tests administered. At the end of Ms. Tenenbaum's tenure, the prestigious journal Education Week ranked South Carolina number one in the country for the quality of its academic standards, assessment, and accountability systems.

She previously practiced health, environmental, and public interest law with the firm Sinkler & Boyd, P.A. Before attending law school, Ms. Tenenbaum served as the director of research for the Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs Committee of the South Carolina House of Representatives. She carried out the Committee's responsibilities for all legislation relating to public health, the environment, child welfare, social services, adult and juvenile corrections, state military affairs, and local government.

Ms. Tenenbaum served as special counsel to the McNair Law Firm in the area of public school finance prior to being nominated by the President.

She has also served on numerous task forces that provide oversight on children and family services in the state.

Ms. Tenenbaum received her Bachelor of Science in 1972 and Master of Education degrees in 1974 from the University of Georgia and her law degree in 1986 from the University of South Carolina. She is the recipient of numerous honorary degrees and has been recognized by several state and community organizations for her civic work on behalf of children and families.

Ms. Tenenbaum is married to Samuel J. Tenenbaum.

wait, no kids? WTF? And she is telling people who have BTDT how to raise em? Am I reading this right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Resale is banned.

That's grossly contrary to principles of free alienation of property that we've always held.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
more...

Robert (Bob) S. Adler is a Commissioner at the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). He was appointed to the agency by President Barack Obama in August 2009. His term runs through October 2014. Prior to his appointment, he served on the Obama Transition Team and co-authored a report on the CPSC for the Obama administration.

Prior to assuming office, Adler served as a professor of Legal Studies at the University of North Carolina as the Luther Hodges Jr., Scholar in Ethics and Law at Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler Business School. At the University of North Carolina, he served as the Associate Dean of the MBA Program and as Associate Dean for the School’s Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Program. As a professor, he taught courses in business law, business ethics, business-government relations and negotiation. Bob won a university-wide teaching award, the Tanner Award, in 1996 and the undergraduate program's Distinguished Teaching Award in 1990. In 2004, he received the Gerald Barrett Faculty Award for outstanding teaching and service to the MBA Program.

Bob's academic research interests included product safety, product liability, regulation, commercial law, medical malpractice, and negotiation. His article, When David Meets Goliath: Dealing With Power Differentials in Negotiation, in the Spring 2000 issue of the Harvard Negotiation Law Review (co-authored with Elliot Silverstein) received the annual best article award by the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution.

Prior to his service at UNC, he spent nine years as an attorney-advisor to two commissioners at the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in Washington, D.C. Subsequently, he served as counsel to the Subcommittee on Health and the Environment of the Committee on Energy and Commerce in the U.S. House of Representatives. While on the subcommittee, he worked on legislation relating to product liability, childhood vaccines, the Food and Drug Administration, medical malpractice, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Before his service at the CPSC, Bob served as a deputy attorney general for the Pennsylvania Justice Department, where he headed the southwest regional office of the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Bob has been involved in numerous consumer protection and education activities for many years. He was elected six times to the board of directors of Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine.

Bob graduated cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania in 1966 with a major in political science. He received a JD from the University of Michigan Law School in 1969.

Wife? Kids?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Resale is banned.

They can't.  Or at least.. Can't enforce it
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
It's official, we live in a police state.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Too bad the SOBs who did this didn't fall out of drop-side cribs as infants.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#16]
What a cluster. Look at this org chart:

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/orgchart.pdf

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#18]
so my attempt to corner the pre-ban crib market is  bust
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Fucking busy bodies spending our money to tell us we can't sell our personal property.

How fucked up is that?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#20]
WOW!! I didn't realize my five kids are survivors of the "great drop side cribs epidemic"

This is the stupidest thing I've heard in..... well in the last few hours . The politicians really are having a field day these last p
Few years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No kidding! I bet more infants die from being dropped by their drunk mothers every year.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#22]
How many infants are killed every year sleeping with their parents? I'd bet my paycheck it rivals or exceeds these cribs.

Ban parents, for the children!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
5 gallon buckets are still legal.  They kill many many children.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

How many infants are killed every year sleeping with their parents? I'd bet my paycheck it rivals or exceeds these cribs.

I'm sure they'd like to...

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It's for the children...

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first death claim I handled after I got out of mgt. (1984) was a 2 y/o that drowned in a bucket of scrub water in the kitchen.  The mother left for a moment and came back to find her baby already dead.  

Yup.  They kill many small children.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#28]
My youngest is four so we sold our drop down a couple of years ago.  If they really wanted to save kids then they would ban cars and pools.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#29]
We used drop-sided cribs for all four of our kids.  I have a hard time understanding how someone could misuse them to the point where their kid is trapped and dies.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You would win that bet.  Our local (Oakland County) coroner said he sees at least one case of accidental infant suffocation every week.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
What about fat moms sleeping on top their baby..resulting in sid cases?

Guv want to regulate that too?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Resale is banned.

They can't. Or at least.. Can't enforce it

Ask me how i got a free crib off of Craig's List.

I just reinforced the cheap plastic mounts with zip-ties.

Actually, making the mounts out of steel in the first place would have been a better idea

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

At least I still have a set of Jarts in the original box.

Preban metal lawn darts!?

[napolean dynamite/] Lucky [/napolean dynamite]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember when flash hiders  were banned....
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody want to buy a preban crib
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first death claim I handled after I got out of mgt. (1984) was a 2 y/o that drowned in a bucket of scrub water in the kitchen.  The mother left for a moment and came back to find her baby already dead.  

Children die very easily. Even the safest of items can become a death trap if left unattended with an infant.

We live in such a nanny/police state that I can hardly find the motivation to be angry about this. That is probably what they want
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Let me get this right.  So making it harder for a person to pick up an infant from a crib is suppose to make them safer.   Riiiiight.  I see more babies being dropped, even with careful parents at four in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  They kill many small children.

Mothers or buckets of water?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top