Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 8:14:03 PM EDT
I hope to use this thread to enlighten and debunk some of the myths about the way LE serve search warrants especially for dope. Today was the 1st day of a 5 day LE course I'm enrolled in that is geared toward serving search warrants for SWAT officers. 1st 4 hrs was lecture and covered the hows and whys of certain methods. The class is being put on by a local SWAT team that IMO are some of the finest in the business.

1st about "No knock" search warrants. I learned that no judge in the state of FL will sign off on such a warrant and they actually are rarely used, atleast here in this state and especially for drugs. In the last 16 yrs of his SWAT teams history the instructor could only recall 1 use of such a warrant. And this team is farely active serving approx 100 warrants a yr. Critiria is EXTREMLY strict when it is considered, and destruction of evidence is NOT a one of them. Usually it has to do with the safety of the people inside and for the officers. Also what alot of people her dont know is the supreme court has ruled already about what would be considered a "knock" warrant. For it to fit this criteria the team has to give the person a reasonable amount of time for a prudent person to open the door before it is broken down. This is one reason why instead of serving these warrants at 3 am it should be served at normal hrs to ensure the person isnt stumbling out of bed and possibly being incoherent enough to not realise its the cops coming in causing conflict. This comprimises officer safety if the subject doesnt realise its the cops and not an intruder. And to ensure that they Absolutly know its the cops coming in they basicly try to alert the neighborhood with PAs sirens, and lights. This way neighbors can say later "yah I live 3 houses down and new it was the cops".

And despite some beliefs the very last thing they want to do is shoot someone. Their goal is basicly "shock and awe" They want the suspect to know its the cops coming in. Becouse if they dont make the teams presence known they fully expect a prudent person to arm himself and investigate a possible intruder this ends up in bad situations.

And finally house ID. This came up and it was said you ALWAYS want "eyes on" the target house before the raid. Everything from routes of travel to the house is mapped and plotted and video taped to redundancy to rule out every possibility of hitting the wrong house. And after this it usually lies on the case agent if shit goes bad not the teams. No team wants to hit the wrong house because this results in law suites and that results in the dissolvment of the team.

Well thats all I can think of right now, there probably will be more to come since there will be 4 more days of this and I hope this straightens some misconceptions I know float around here all the time.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:17:05 PM EDT
So on which day do you get to the part where you learn which round is best for taking out Fido?

j/k Have fun in class!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:19:00 PM EDT
Interesting post. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:20:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 8:21:56 PM EDT by tac45]

So on which day do you get to the part where you learn which round is best for taking out Fido?

j/k Have fun in class![quote/]

Actually that did come up and it was CO2 fire extinguishers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:24:01 PM EDT
I would be very interested in hearing any "lessons learned" at the conclusion of the class.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:26:30 PM EDT
Tag. Please keep us posted.

I bet I've killed at least 1 more dog than most cops.

It was an accident.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 8:50:41 PM EDT by TheKill]
Obviously, the organization you're training with believes in getting it right the first time. Not every cop is a JBT. In fact, my firearms "sensei" is a cop. My sig line came from him and was regarding a call to someone who's home he responded to re: a burglar alarm. Said house contained an angry Rottweiler.

However, that which you refer to as a "misconception", isn't necessarily so. It is no misconception that not every agency follows such stringent policies and occasionally fucks up, to the detriment of everyone.

Sounds like a heckuva good training experience.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:35:38 PM EDT
Oh geez - here you go throwing out facts in the face of every JBT basher's fantasy world as reported by the fact finders at www.ihatecops.com or www.pigmustdie.net

Good luck in class.
Top Top