Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 1:39:22 PM EDT
OK, looks like the AWB is toast unless something totally unforseeable happens tomorrow (Friday 9/10).

Now that the pro-gun-freedom forces have gotten up a good head of steam, what do we do next?

My vote would be to go after the entire concept of "sporting" use as a requirement for deciding which guns can be imported, made, etc.  

I think that would be important since that strategy could bring gov't policy back into line with the meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

If I could pick, though, I'd have the MG moratorium scrapped (or the NFA scrapped, for that matter), but I know we can't get there directly from this point.

I think an incremental strategy is the smart play - look how far the anti-freedom forces got with that strategy before Americans woke up to what they were doing.

Any bright ideas on how to keep our momentum rolling before everybody goes back to sleep, post AWB?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
First, get rid of the "sporting purposes" clause from GCA '68.  That would totally get rid of BATFE's 1989 re-interpretation of the law so that imports were banned.

Second, the FedGov should recognize CHL's in national parks.

Third, go after the part of FOPA '86 that bans private ownership of new MG's.  The Stewart case may make this moot; we'll know on October 9 what the FedGov will do here.

Fourth, get rid of GCA '68 entirely.  Then GCA '34.

Ok, I can dream, but at least I think the first two suggestions are doable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I vote for an attack on any gun control law.  Start with a listing of all of them, settle for half and keep coming back for more just like the Anti's.  Also demand payback from Bush after he wins.  So everyone go vote!  Get every pro-gunner to vote as well.  Take nothing for granted.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]

we'll know on October 9 what the FedGov will do here.

Why is that?  Do you have a link to more info?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
This is from the subguns.com NFA discussion board a few days ago.  It's scrolled off since then.

Summary: after losing in the Ninth Circuit, the ATF originally had until September 9 to decide whether or not to file a writ of certiori to appeal to the USSC.  They filed for an extension for that decision, and were given 30 days.  So, the new date is October 9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top