Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:05:24 PM EDT
The French press.

I've used them all and always was a percolator guy. The Keurig is ok but pricey to use.

Found a nice Bodum press at a thrift store today for $3 it was a large one and unused...figured for that price I'd give it a whirl.

Just brewed my first cup...fuck it's good.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Filters leach out the aromatic, flavorful oils and sizing and bleach leach into the coffee.

French press is the best way to make coffee.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It gets better the more you use it and the more blends you try    
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Bigeasysnow - Good filters, like the Chemex are deemed by coffee people to be THE best cup of coffee one can make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemex_Coffeemaker
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I definitely will get better blends now that I can taste the coffee.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Piffle.

It's a halfway step to a mocha pot, at best.

I'm not saying it sucks. It doesn't. It's far better than Folger's in a Mr. Coffee.

Keep the water temp under 200 degrees to maximize flavor in a French press.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one, tried it three times, hated it, threw it out.
Useless!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Bodum press + camping FTMFW!

FYI: it's possible that first cup tasted as good as it did in part because you tend to use more ground coffee per volume of water in a french press than in a drip or percolator coffee maker.

Which is to say that you may have inadvertently discovered that one of the secrets to really good home-brewed coffee is just to make it stronger than the instructions call for.  Yes, it ends up costing more per cup.  And it's so totally worth it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Filters leach out the aromatic, flavorful oils and sizing and bleach leach into the coffee.

When used correctly, a French press makes a good cup of coffee.

But a properly made espresso drink is even better.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Folgers Crystals FTW.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can taste the difference.......you are not using enough Irish Cream and Buttershots.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought one, tried it three times, hated it, threw it out.
Useless!

A tiny bit more work involved, but they certainly aren't useless. They make decent coffee, cheaply.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Try one of these

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I like using a French press, but fuck if I'll ever give up my Keurig. I don't use the K-cups, but the little filter thingie and my own fresh ground beans. French press takes way too long and is too much work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nah I use unbleached filtesr. French press is ok but I hate cleaning it, and seems like ground get in the coffee.
I use a filter cup and unbleached (brown paper) filter and make one cup at a time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]
OP said "Bodum"
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
..snip...

I just found a stove-top espresso pot way in the back of one of my cabinets.. espresso from that thing is like drinking sex.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

..snip...

I just found a stove-top espresso pot way in the back of one of my cabinets.. espresso from that thing is like drinking sex.

Kinda like . . an orgasm in your mouth ?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I hear you OP, I french press when I don't need my automatic setting.  When conventionally brewing, I use a metal mesh filter and always make a full pot for optimized perk....why lose all those oils.  There are a number of very high oil beans at Costco for a good value.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my esspresso maker my wife got me
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a burr grinder as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I find my Aeropress works pretty damn well.  I've used press pots before, which are also pretty good, but the Aeropress gets pretty damn near the same flavor with no sludge.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I think using a French press rates right up there with wet shaving.  Good for you if you do,  but it is kinda ghey.

This does not apply to camping.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#26]
The Clever Coffee Dripper is the best I have found.  All the best parts of a Chemex and a press combined.  

http://www.boldbeancoffee.com/learn/brewing-guide/clever/

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GTF-B-Gold-Coffee-Filter/dp/B0001IRRLQ

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I have done all of the above: Aeropress, Clever Dripper, etc.

Aeropress produces the best end result (you're making espresso + water for an Americano)

Clever Dripper is solid, but if you use it for a year you'll knock it over at least once.

All-around winner based upon speed, convenience, cost, taste:  K-cup machine with refillable filter and beans of your choice. (and if cost is not a concern, good kCups like Starbucks Sumatra)

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love mine.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Welcome to the club. It's nice here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Bit of an oddity & expensive, but it makes really good coffee. Not as good as the Chemex. Kind of in between the Chemx & a French Press.

Vacuum Coffee Maker
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I got my wife a french press and she said that the coffee she made with it had a lot of fine grit in it.  I know the filter mesh on the plunger isn't nearly as fine as you'd have in a drip-brew type coffee maker, so how do you not have the "coffee sand" in the bottom of the cup?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#33]
good info here been trying to figure out how to make good coffee for years,

have gotten better with diff blenda and better makes but was still eluding me .
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I can't get into a french press, I've never found the coffee to be that good.  I use a technivorm mocha master and it is great.  A good substitute would be a che ex manual drip system.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my wife a french press and she said that the coffee she made with it had a lot of fine grit in it.  I know the filter mesh on the plunger isn't nearly as fine as you'd have in a drip-brew type coffee maker, so how do you not have the "coffee sand" in the bottom of the cup?

You should use a coarser grind with with a French Press.  It won't eliminate it entirely, but it helps a lot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I just chew a hand full of espresso beans to get a jumpstart in the am. Be sure to become an elite snob and start cooking yer own beans try sweetmarias.com for a good source of green beans.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

French presses rock.  The next step is to roast your own in a hot air popcorn popper.  For about 5 days the coffee will be almost a different beverage it's so aromatic and tasty.  Once the volatiles evaporate or oxidize the coffee will be merely great.  Taste it once and everything else pales in comparison.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#38]
While the French Press is superior, I prefer vacuum brewed. ARFCOM turned me on to the below and I think it's superior to the FP.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVTKW4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005NCX5&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BWW0ERPP48810YJZQGT
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:38:42 AM EDT
[#39]

This is what I use at work.  I keep it in my desk draw but at home I just make a pot of coffee.  It's a lot easier.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

French presses rock.  The next step is to roast your own in a hot air popcorn popper.  For about 5 days the coffee will be almost a different beverage it's so aromatic and tasty.  Once the volatiles evaporate or oxidize the coffee will be merely great.  Taste it once and everything else pales in comparison.

Please tell me more on how to use the hot air popcorn machine to roast beans
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I like my K-cup when I really want instant coffee, I have used a French press before and I enjoy it and I like making tea with it,  I also use the espresso maker I have.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Clever Coffee Dripper is the best I have found.  All the best parts of a Chemex and a press combined.  
http://theotherblackstuff.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/draining.jpg

Hm I'll have to stop by there and pick one up, i live in Jax so it's not too far
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Folgers Crystals FTW.  

http://youtu.be/K_Gtb1kElRk

My Mom and Dad––––bless heir hearts––––-have been drinking instant Maxwell House for 50 years.Lord,that is nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me more on how to use the hot air popcorn machine to roast beans

Put beans in machine roast till done/splitting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Folgers Crystals FTW.  

My Mom and Dad––––bless heir hearts––––-have been drinking instant Maxwell House for 50 years.Lord,that is nasty stuff.

Yeah so have my Grandparents, that stuff tastes like whatever was scraped off of Luther's boot.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, French presses rock.  I've got a Keurig and drip machine both.  The Keurig is fantastic if you just want a quick cup o' Joe.  The drip machine is an easy way to make okay coffee.  My wife says she can't tell the difference between drip coffee and press coffee, but I can.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Folgers Crystals FTW.  

Folgers is the most nasty stuff I have every tasted.

Chase and Sanborn was the only pre-ground coffee I ever found tolerable.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
..snip...

Kinda like . . an orgasm in your mouth ?

He he he, his user name woulf be fitting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I use a Keurig with the roll your own filter basket and a stainless steel French press camping.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://theotherblackstuff.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/draining.jpg

If I want filtered coffee, this is what I use. It's awesome.

I use french press otherwise (and when I'm making a larger pot).

You need a good burr grinder too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top