Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2008 8:08:34 AM EDT
Been since school, I did any working out.  Buddy of mine out of the blue over the weekend said I am starting Monday and I need a partner.  Well it couldn't of come at a better time for me, I was/am ready.  Main goal is to drop about 25# and firm up some areas.   We ramped it up a little last night and my arms are definitely feeling it.

Never thought I would post in this forum.  Quitting chewing 2 months ago and for some reason of a desire to live longer has given me some motivation.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Great.  Just take it easy at first.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Agreed.  You don't get any stronger in the gym.  You get stronger while you recover.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  You don't get any stronger in the gym.  You get stronger while you recover.

+1

Don't get discouraged too easy, just stick with it. Mix in some variety, and of course some cardio. Once you get into a routine, it's like crack. BUT, don't get stuck in a routine either...it's easy to do the fun stuff like BP etc, and ignore areas of weakness.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Is your old leotard still gonna fit ?

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Despite my protests we did some more upper body yesterday.  Surprisingly I feel better, I thought I wouldn't be able to lift my arms.  Well a few days off here and will be all healed by Monday.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
no more soda, lay of the booze for 30 days
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
no more soda, lay off the booze for 30 days

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for you!!!  Stick with it.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
So I started riding the bike there rather than drive there get on a bike ride it for 15 minutes work out get on a bike and ride 15 minutes then drive home.  It is an 8 mile round trip takes 15 minutes both ways.  I NEED A NEW SEAT...Tomorrow we fix the monkey butt.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
How is the not chewing going?  Been 7 months for me since my last dip of Skoal. Quitting it has by far been the hardest thing I have ever done, particularly since my wife thought I quit 3 years ago.  My main motivation was her wrath, I knew that my luck would run out and she would find out.  Pain in the ass keeping  up with all of t hose spit cups.

Not looking like this was also a motivational factor.  Now the smell of it makes me want to puke. I guess that means I am cured, but every now and then when I have either had too much to drink or when work is particularly stressful a dip sounds good, then I immediately picture my face with mouth cancer and the urge goes away.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The quitting chewing went a little easier than I thought.  It's been 8 weeks ago I think yesterday.  I used the gum which I believed helped.  I still get the an occasional urge during stress but, not the usual after meal and other normal times for me.   My workout partner has been done for just over a year and he says he still has random urges.  I talked to another guy who had quit for 10 years and he still rarely gets them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Good for you!!!  Stick with it.

I thought someone said to lay off the booze.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Just did the same thing starting last Sunday - first gym effort since getting out of the Army back in 1990.  I let myself go to pot, and decided to diet to lose weight; hit a plateau after 20 pounds.  So, I figured I needed to add in exercise...

First session was focused on chest and arms - I have to admit I way overdid it on that one and am still VERY sort in my upper arms three days after.

Session 2 I did legs on Monday - legs are sore, but not unmanageable and are already getting better.  Session 3 is Wednesday (back and biceps) and then back to arms and chest Friday - Lord I hope my arms are recovered from the FIRST session by then!  

Then I will shift to a normal M-W-F for weight sessions, and 3 miles on treadmill W-T-W-T-F.  Saturday and Sunday will be off days I think.  I sure hope for some success (and expect to get some success).  I also hope to survive the experience!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I am down 10lbs and this being the 4th week we are ramping up a bit more on weight.  I am doing quite a bit more weight on legs and my partner is doing more upper body.  We are the same age and he is having a hell of a time with recovery.  I seem to have very little problem.  I guess I am going to need to push myself a little harder.

Did some very light squats last night...I forgot how much I hated those.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Are you going all the way down to parallel?

Don't let a measure of progress be how sore you are.  Also remember that the best way to combat muscle soreness is to keep using them.  

Way to go and keep at it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you going all the way down to parallel?

I was in a rack and was getting pretty low.  I have always had terrible form and it has always killed my wrists.  I flop my wrists over the bar to compensate.

My new problem is chest, fast realizing it is my biggest weakness.  I can overload on leg day and ride the 4 miles home no problem.  I turn the chest and tri's into jello I can barely hold the handle bars to ride home.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My new problem is chest, fast realizing it is my biggest weakness.  I can overload on leg day and ride the 4 miles home no problem.  I turn the chest and tri's into jello I can barely hold the handle bars to ride home.  Suggestions?
Wish I did, chest is my biggest weakness too, my long ass orangutan arms don't help either.  Doing dips has helped, but really chest strength isn't nearly as practical as core and back strength, though that is just my opinion and it makes me feel better  But really don't discount the need for strong lats, traps and rhomboids.  Eat plenty of protein and remember, you aren't a spring chicken.

The important thing is you are getting into shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top