Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 3:55:33 PM EDT
Are there militaries in Africa that are considered professional and well trained?

I know we all get a good laugh at the pics of guys wearing life jackets and stuff in the Liberian pictures of their civil war, but which African countries have a real, decent military in place?

I saw this on youtube and was wondering.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
South Africa at one point.  I don't know about that anymore.

Also Rhodesia.  '

ETA:  If we are counting Arabs, then the Egyptians probably have the most powerful force in Africa.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how good they are as soldiers, but recently some Mil Arfcommers mentioned getting along well with the Ugandans.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool pics...but whats with the song?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Don't know. Sounds like Bono.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.

Just not theirs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know how good they are as soldiers, but recently some Mil Arfcommers mentioned getting along well with the Ugandans.

Bunch of meat tripods...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The South African military should still be pretty good in spite of the overall degradation of the country since 1994.  I do know the Namibian military is trying hard to improve themselves.  I think they realized how far downhill they have gone ad are even going out of their way to recruit whites realizing that this was part of the problem (I think they only have a handful of whites and Asians left in the entire military).  Supposedly some elements of the Zimbabwean military are decent although obviously that military is a mere shadow of itself in comparison to the Rhodesian days (where the military was excellent); the Zimbabweans did maintain themselves to a decent degree into the 1990s, though.  Djibouti's small military is probably alright for a small African country; they get a lot of help from the French, though.  Most African militaries are crap.  The African units of colonial militaries were something pretty good, such as the British or Portuguese units but they have ceased to be since the 1970s.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
JAMBO!!!!!

All my experiences with Ugandans and African militaries have been good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems the AKM is the favored rifle; no surprise.

I wonder if they have a good NCO leadership.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Do keep in mind that some of these units are trained by the special forces of the US and Europe.  I wouldn't go man for man with the GD crew vs any of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've trained Africans in a couple of countries.  Niger and Mali. Those soldiers are not professional or well trained but bear in mind that those two countries are also tw of the poorest countries in the world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I must be young to know it. It is Viva la Vida by Coldplay.
Released in 2008 and was/is immensely popular.

Wiki Article
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Define "well trained"?

I have trained allot of/with soldiers in West Africa. Most of the time, it was comical. They make Iraqis look like Delta Force.

Some examples:

Country has 13-14 MIGs... Of those, only 1 still flies..Its a MIG19, and only flies with the Russian mercenary Pilot in the backseat (two seat trainer). The rest of the MIG15s, 17s, and 21s rot away on the tarmac.

Same place, take Infantry soldiers to the range..Even though their basic training is over, most have never fired their weapons.... They have have trouble hitting a man sized target at 25M with their AKs and SKS.

Take the same group of soldiers on patrol. Even thought they cannot shoot, they have great  patrol skills/ability to walk through the scrub brush desert undetected/without a trace.

We take another African countries soldiers to the range.. They are their elite paratroopers, many having see allot of combat/battle scars, etc..... They are armed with a mix of Colt Commandos (733s), 741 HBARs, and M16A2/M203.. We shoot the standard Army 25m qualification..40 rounds fired. The best guy gets a 26 (Colt HBAR with Bipod)...... I get a 39.... The Captain we were working for was happy to point out "This is just our support soldier".

Another place, their "paratroopers" have not jumped in at least 5+ years... They only have Soviet parachutes, which have to be jumped tailgate...... Their AN26 is broken.......

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

artist is coldplay
song title viva la vi(or something like that)
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Watchin this video, Mikhail is proud, and wondering why he is not fucking rich.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top