Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 8:53:49 PM EDT
Has anyone here ever been on one?  What was your experience like?

Let me clarify it for the retards:  HUNTING ANIMALS IN AFRICA
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
that's just straight up racism there!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You haven't been able to do that since 1862.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone here ever been on one?

You never go on just one. African hunting is worse than crack. On the flight home from your first trip you will start thinking up ways to save money for the next trip.

What was your experience like?

The first trip was to Zimbabwe. Culture shock would be a good way to describe what it was like. The jumbo jet landed on a crude concrete runway and they pushed a ladder on wheels up to the door. When I got to the door and saw it I said "you must be kidding me" and the pilot was laughing and said " we left civilization about ten hours ago". Walking from the plane to what they called a terminal, you could see the burned spots on the edge of the runway where they had built little fires for night landings. Everything was like that. Crude by our standards but somehow things got done.

The hunting was awsome!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Short of hitting the lottery, I'll never go. But I can DREAM!!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to Namibia last August on my first Safari and hunted for plains game.  I took a Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok, and Mountain Zebra.  I hunted in what is known as the communal land which is a large area controlled by the local villages with hunting areas designated to certain Professional Hunters.  All meat that is not used in camp is given to the villages for their use.  Nothing gets wasted.  I have never seen an animal get so completely utilized.  Everything except the contents of the stomach is recovered.  The PH that I hunted with had an area of over 190,000 hectares.  I stayed in a tent camp that was very comfortable, the food was excellent and we were able to sample most of the game meat.  Zebra was the best in my opinion..  Hunting was primarily moving from one area to another by vehicle, glassing from high ground, then planning a stalk.  It was arid with varied terrain including dry river bottoms, grasslands, and mountains.  It is amazing the amount of animals there, especially in an area that has no water during the winter.  I did a lot of research before I went and was for the most part satisfied with my experience although there were some problems related to the PH being overextended.  Namibia is probably one of the best deals for Africa hunting and has been somewhat overlooked by Americans although that is rapidly changing.  As with everything else, buyers beware and you get what you pay for.  There are some shady outfits and rip-off artists out there, but by doing some research and going through a reputable outfitter, they can be avoided.  Different countries have different ways of setting up their hunting area's and what you want to hunt will determine to some extent where you go. Namibia also has hunting on private ranches, most of them are huge, over 100,000 acres and do not have game fences, so it’s not like you are hunting a pen.  I wanted to hunt a certain area and a certain way, so I paid a little more.  I could have gone for less and still had a great hunt.  For 7 days of hunting and 4 animals, and including my airfare to Africa from Alaska, I paid less than what most would pay for a moose hunt in Alaska not including airfare.  I will go back to Africa for a Dangerous game hunt within the next 5 years.  For lots of information go to accuratereloading.com forums.

JD

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
What are the regulations on bringing trophy heads back to the US? Can you just mail them back or do they have to be mounted first? Sorry if I sound like a n00b, I am.

When I was a little kid, we had a neighbor who bad been hunting in Africa during the 50's and 60's. He had a room with all kinds of African trophies in it. It was the coolest thing ever.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I can say this with complete honesty.

I have absoulutelty NO desire to ever go to Africa. None.

and I love to hunt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No thanks

Dude that's sweet!

Speed
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can say this with complete honesty.

I have absoulutelty NO desire to ever go to Africa. None.

and I love to hunt.

I agree.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No thanks

Dude that's sweet!

Speed

+1!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]

What are the regulations on bringing trophy heads back to the US? Can you just mail them back or do they have to be mounted first?

You can ship the hides, horns, and sculls back by air or sea after they have been properly prepared.  No meat which is unfortunate.  I would have liked to bring some back.  Mine arrived last month, I had to clear it through US Fish and Wildlife and Customs which was relatively easy, both outfits were very professional and user friendly, or you can pay a broker and freight forwarder to do it for you.  The Kudu is at the taxidermist now.  Not sure what I will get done, taxidermy is expensive and I would rather spend the money to go back.

I always thought that hunting in Africa was something that I would never do, partly do to lack of desire and thought it was out of my reach financially.  After I retired from the Army I started work with a couple people that had been there and they got me interested.  I started doing some research and I found out it was doable and now I can't wait to go back.  I doubt I'll ever be able to do a 21 day Big 5 Safari, but 7-10 day hunts can be found that are very reasonable in price.  

JD
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What are the regulations on bringing trophy heads back to the US? Can you just mail them back or do they have to be mounted first?

You can ship the hides, horns, and sculls back by air or sea after they have been properly prepared.  No meat which is unfortunate.  I would have liked to bring some back.  Mine arrived last month, I had to clear it through US Fish and Wildlife and Customs which was relatively easy, both outfits were very professional and user friendly, or you can pay a broker and freight forwarder to do it for you.  The Kudu is at the taxidermist now.  Not sure what I will get done, taxidermy is expensive and I would rather spend the money to go back.

I always thought that hunting in Africa was something that I would never do, partly do to lack of desire and thought it was out of my reach financially.  After I retired from the Army I started work with a couple people that had been there and they got me interested.  I started doing some research and I found out it was doable and now I can't wait to go back.  I doubt I'll ever be able to do a 21 day Big 5 Safari, but 7-10 day hunts can be found that are very reasonable in price.  

JD

Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Been two times and will be going again this June.

The first time was the closest thing to a life changing event that I have had.  

Given that you do your homework, it doesn't cost as much as you think, it's safer than you think and it will be more fun than you think.

Just go...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top