Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:10:09 PM EDT
These guys look the part.  Color me initially impressed.  

They seem to be better off than these guys in Iraq.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
They should be wearing hockey helmets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That jumping jack video never gets old
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]

I liked it better when we didn't teach others to become proficient in weapons and tactics.

When the rest of the world fired withoutusing sights like in the 1980's movies.

(no experience, here, just my opinion).
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a good amount of fairly high speed special ANP units out there. The regular AUP and border patrol can suck, but there's some good ones for sure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbK76okexVk

Google 'ICTF'.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Google 'ICTF'.

The UCSB International Capture The Flag (also known as the iCTF)

ICTF - The International Credit & Trade Finance Association

Intermodal Container Transfer Facility Modernization Project

Internal Control Task Force

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
"Receiving equipment and training from their US counterparts"

Nice to see somebody making a few bucks out of the war then. And we don't even need the Cocaine Importation Agency to help out with the funds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, out of millions of Afghans there have to be a few young males who are very capable.

The trick is ID'ing them and plucking them out of the herd before they get dragged down by the regular morons.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They should be wearing hockey helmets.

Colanders like their Libyan and Egyptian brethren.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, out of millions of Afghans there have to be a few young males who are very capable.

The trick is ID'ing them and plucking them out of the herd before they get dragged down by the regular morons.

Afghanastan has a class system much like any other country.

I'm willing to bet that most of those guys don't come from some dirka dirka village, but rather the middle classes.

On the other hand, the American special forces seem to do quite well taking folks out of the poorest, most dangerous places of the USA and territories and making them into bionic superman killmachines.  Lots come out of PR, Acadia, or the pacific territories.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
color me unimpressed.

a shit load of expensive kit that won't leave the wire doesn't impress me much.

i am enjoying the irony that their SF is shaved and ours isn't.  cause, you know, you can't be a real fighter in afghanistan unless you have a beard.  thats the only way they'll respect you.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

i am enjoying the irony that their SF is shaved and ours isn't.  cause, you know, you can't be a real fighter in afghanistan unless you have a beard.  thats the only way they'll respect you.

they need operatorbeards
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked with some Afghan SF troops trained by CANSOF mentors....one of the wackiest experiences of my life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

According to the narrator, they've been on 3800 raids.

Perhaps not all on their own, no.  But unless he is patently lying, these guys do get real experience.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

Perhaps not all on their own, no.  But unless he is patently lying, these guys do get real experience.

3800 raids.
ok.
looked like no drug mountain in the background.
Yeah, i'm a little skeptical.
and raids don't impress me much, either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

3800 raids?

Maybe they were upping the numbers by 80 or 90% to account for all the future raids each members of the team would contribute over a 30 year career?

One of the most memorable experiences I have regarding special operations was going out to take a piss one day and seeing CANSOF "training" their afghan SF counterparts outside my hootch.  By training I mean 3-4 ripped Canadians in nothing but UDT shorts doing 8-count body builders with about 30 Afghans perched around them with their best rape faces on.  I think several may have been actually masturbating.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LMAO
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google 'ICTF'.

Uh yeah, that was really worth the effort.

What the fuck are we looking for?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I worked with some Afghan SF troops trained by CANSOF mentors....one of the wackiest experiences of my life.

Go on...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

3,800?!

They must be counting raids like the USAF counts sorties.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google 'ICTF'.

These guys. Video is (largely) ICTF with American SF trainers.  

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/21/eveningnews/main1533524.shtml

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,90316,00.html

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go on...

Ok, snippet....mass attack in a huge building and we are waiting outside to go in.  We are told Afghan SF are going in first to clear the building, as they thought there might be live shooters still in it.    They show up to the cordon about 20 to a Ford Ranger, pulling guns on the cordon security because they thought they should be granted immediate access without any sort of permission. They pull up with their K-pots on sideways and without their mentors, who decided they were going to sit this one out.

We go over the plan for them to clear this place for about a half an hour.  The building was 5 stories high and maybe 100m wide, a huge place.  We slowly and explicitly explain to them that they need to clear floor by floor and mark everything on a map for us. After verifying about a hundred times they understand they bolt off into the building, catching the first stairwell up.

About 30 seconds later we hear retarded yelling at the roof, and sure enough these clowns were up there hooting and hollering with their successfull "clearing" of the building. They came back down, smug and victorious and piled back into their rangers and left.  We went in the building and found about a weeks worth of bad shit inside.  Dead bodies, tons of UXO, full up IED's, everything.   The funny part is that a couple hours later we blew up something on one of the floors and and my way back down through the basement to get back outside and get more explosives (building was trashed, only a couple ways in/out) I hear talking in the pitch black.  I freak out, get ready to smoke somebody and three of the Afghan SF guys come peering out of a room, scared shitless that they got left behind and things in the building are now exploding.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That jumping jack video never gets old

That is for damn sure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google 'ICTF'.

These guys. Video is (largely) ICTF with American SF trainers.  

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/21/eveningnews/main1533524.shtml

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,90316,00.html

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/06/12/international/iraqi.slide.1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQvTDhtV6k

End of that video is awesome! "Incoming right there"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go on...

Ok, snippet....mass attack in a huge building and we are waiting outside to go in.  We are told Afghan SF are going in first to clear the building, as they thought there might be live shooters still in it.    They show up to the cordon about 20 to a Ford Ranger, pulling guns on the cordon security because they thought they should be granted immediate access without any sort of permission. They pull up with their K-pots on sideways and without their mentors, who decided they were going to sit this one out.

We go over the plan for them to clear this place for about a half an hour.  The building was 5 stories high and maybe 100m wide, a huge place.  We slowly and explicitly explain to them that they need to clear floor by floor and mark everything on a map for us. After verifying about a hundred times they understand they bolt off into the building, catching the first stairwell up.

About 30 seconds later we hear retarded yelling at the roof, and sure enough these clowns were up there hooting and hollering with their successfull "clearing" of the building. They came back down, smug and victorious and piled back into their rangers and left.  We went in the building and found about a weeks worth of bad shit inside.  Dead bodies, tons of UXO, full up IED's, everything.   The funny part is that a couple hours later we blew up something on one of the floors and and my way back down through the basement to get back outside and get more explosives (building was trashed, only a couple ways in/out) I hear talking in the pitch black.  I freak out, get ready to smoke somebody and three of the Afghan SF guys come peering out of a room, scared shitless that they got left behind and things in the building are now exploding.....

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go on...

There was a goat in that room

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go on...

Good lord, what a cluster-fuck shitshow.  I remember you mentioning that story in your EOD thread.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There was a goat in that room

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It ought to be educational to see what percentage of the present roll call of these units end up taking their gear and training over to the Taliban or one of the militias.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuckers can't take care of their equipment we buy them either. We've had to replace almost ever bit of sensitive equipment we've given them due to "losing" it or just not maintaining them. Everything is a fucking handout to them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I can't tell you how many times you will see an ANA Ford Ranger parked at someone's house, driving around full of kids, loaded with sheep.

Not all necessarily fraud/waste/abuse (like they even know what those are) but they definitely don't have any concept of FOUO, either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuckers can't take care of their equipment we buy them either. We've had to replace almost ever bit of sensitive equipment we've given them due to "losing" it or just not maintaining them. Everything is a fucking handout to them.

Just like Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Until the Afghans can produce quality NCOs and officers, it will be a hollow force at best.  Same as with Iraq, almost anyone can become a good soldier if they have good leaders.  When the good leaders depart, the unit will almost certainly fall apart in short order.  I saw some fairly good INA and INP units, but every one of them had US 'mentors' prompting them.  I wonder what they're like now...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish these guys well, I just don't like the idea we sell equipment to folks who may use it on us.  Their government is unreliable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

They leave the wire.  I'll leave it at that.  Some of them died right along-side the SEALs on that CH-47 a while back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow.  Is all I can say about that jumping jacks video. Just fucking wow.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:10:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It ought to be educational to see what percentage of the present roll call of these units end up taking their gear and training over to the Taliban or one of the militias.

Yeah, that';s what I was thinking.  Mujahadeen(sp) all over again?  Guess they'll be ready for when Iran/China/India gets their decade of 'Trying to Conquer Afghanistan'...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

They leave the wire.  I'll leave it at that.  Some of them died right along-side the SEALs on that CH-47 a while back.

I meant without devgru.

I bet their life expectancy is a whole lot better than your average cop on the beat.

And, as mentioned, they simply can't maintain it.  the training or the kit.  intelligent FID isn't making a copy of our own military.  
but it sure briefs well.

we'll pump a fortune into them, and, in the end, it won't make a bit of difference.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

It all depends on who they are working with and where they are.

Some are full on combat ops, others are basically gate guards.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO

LMFAO. That is some funny stuff there.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

That is one raid a day for 10 years
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

What I saw was that a lot of these guys that go through high speed schools over there like SF, EOD, medical, etc ended up as personal aides to high ranking guys because it's been proved that they are smart.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

What I saw was that a lot of these guys that go through high speed schools over there like SF, EOD, medical, etc ended up as personal aides to high ranking guys because it's been proved that they are smart.

I saw these guys as fig leaf "local face" so our guys could go do ninja raids.
tons of money spent on kit and training and they never did independent ops.

I guess i am jealous they have better shit than my own joes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

I meant without devgru.

I bet their life expectancy is a whole lot better than your average cop on the beat.

And, as mentioned, they simply can't maintain it.  the training or the kit.  intelligent FID isn't making a copy of our own military.  
but it sure briefs well.

we'll pump a fortune into them, and, in the end, it won't make a bit of difference.

i see youve spent some time downrange
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh look!   hondaciv thinks that Afghan SF soldiers that have been been trained for years by our own SF make him "initially impressed"!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow.  Is all I can say about that jumping jacks video. Just fucking wow.

Not everyone has been doing jumping jacks since kindergarten.  I wonder what you looked like the first time you tried.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
color me unimpressed.

I meant without devgru.

but it sure briefs well.

I had an audience with a couple of generals in Iraq, and had a chance to vent a little.

I told them why we are doing is equivalent to using Corvettes as jeeps in WWII - what they needs are good jeeps and typewriters, and the institutions to make use of and maintain them - not stuff designed for mature modern infrastructures - and which even we can barely get to work half the time, without throwing money and contractors at them.  There is too much money in the high tech shit, though.  As I left, they were trying to put VTC capability in some HQ buildings.  They can't even sustain their computer networks - and even we have bandwidth limitations.

Why are we trying to field technologies that not even we thought we needed 20 years ago?  I'm afraid to follow the money, I think I know what I'd find.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top