Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2002 10:24:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My only experience is with the unfinished random length white oak strips. I nailed them to the underlayment with a special floor nailer that drives nails thru the tongue. - no adhesive.

Mine sat in the house about a week before I used them.

I couldn't use the nailer for the first and last couple rows, those I had to drill pilot holes thru the face and nail down with finishing nails.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.  If the instructions say something like, "leave 1/4" gap at the walls", or something like that, DO IT!  Wood is very dynamic--it will expand and contract with the weather. You don't want the flooring buckling up when it expands in hot/damp weather.

Also, when it comes time to put in the 1/4 round molding or floor shoe, nail into the base molding, not the floor.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also, when it comes time to put in the 1/4 round molding or floor shoe, nail into the base molding, not the floor.
View Quote

Good call on this one...moved into a house where the finish nails pulled through the quarter round when the hardwood floors swelled under the wall in the summer. The previous owner couldn't understand why his quarter round popped out from the wall!

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Good call on this one...moved into a house where the finish nails pulled through the quarter round when the hardwood floors swelled under the wall in the summer. The previous owner couldn't understand why his quarter round popped out from the wall!

View Quote

I'm going to ring in again, and say that when it comes to this kind of trim, buy, beg, borrow or rent a compressor and a brad gun.  You'll shed tears of joy, I ga-run-teee!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top