Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 11:16:51 AM EDT
I have decided to make my next gun purchase a garand. I got to shoot one that a co-worker owns and it was awesome. I would be using this weapon for occasional target/plinking duty. I also like the history of this great rifle. My grandfather carried this rifle in WWII giving it even more meaning to me. I need advice on what to look out for when buying one also where I might find a good one. I have read the info on fulton armory.com about welded recievers and it made me want more info before I buy. Also is there a web site similiar to AR15.com devoted to the garand where I can go and suck up info.TIA
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Get Scott Duff's book. (listed for sale on teh FUlton Armory website)

Best advice I can give is to buy one from CMP. They tech inspect them, and if they sell you a buggered one, they keep exchanging it till you are happy.

Check out this:

[url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm[/url]

Things to look at:

1. Tight gas chamber. Make sure its not slapping around on the muzzle end of the rifle.

2. Re-weld receivers (as you mentioned)

3. Don't fall for the M1C and M1D knockoffs  (basically the scoped version) A true M1C or D should come with CMP papers, and run $2,500 or more

4. Take a 30-06 bullet, and insert it nose first into the muzzle. If it goes in all the way to the shell casing, you've got a worn muzzle.

5. Prepare for a new addiction

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get Scott Duff's book. (listed for sale on teh FUlton Armory website)

Best advice I can give is to buy one from CMP. They tech inspect them, and if they sell you a buggered one, they keep exchanging it till you are happy.

Check out this:

[url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm[/url]

Things to look at:

1. Tight gas chamber. Make sure its not slapping around on the muzzle end of the rifle.

2. Re-weld receivers (as you mentioned)

3. Don't fall for the M1C and M1D knockoffs  (basically the scoped version) A true M1C or D should come with CMP papers, and run $2,500 or more

4. Take a 30-06 bullet, and insert it nose first into the muzzle. If it goes in all the way to the shell casing, you've got a worn muzzle.

5. Prepare for a new addiction

[:D]

View Quote

I'll second what g'man says, get one from the cmp. On the points he covered, if you get a service grade M1 from the cmp, #1 shouldn't be a big deal and is easily fixed, 2,3,4 are a non-issue, and 5, well I can't help you with that. Remember, with the M1 rifle, you just can't have one. [;D] my fifth M1 should be showing up in the next couple of weeks and that won't be the end.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick replies guys. All info is welcome. I like being an informed consumer. In fact Scott Duff's place is very close to my home (only about a twenty minute drive)if the address on his website is right. Maybe I should go there. I leary about buying at a show especially being a garand newbie. The cmp sounds like a good option but I lack the shooting results sheet. Where can I get one of these(a cmp shoot I imagine but where do they have them?)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks garand man!
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check out [url]www.battlerifles.com[/url]

Another good book is "Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine."  You can order it from his web site [url]www.brucecanfield.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
hey, you're in luck. there's a garand match in PA in september.  BTW, you only have to shoot 50 rounds in any competition, pistol or rifle. They've been pretty lenient about this.

PA   09/28/03
CLUB GARAND MATCH
Rifle-Garand  
Kimberton Fish & Game Assoc  Eugene Latchford610-948-9280  

go to [url]www.odcmp.com[/url], it should answer all your questions about eligibility and affiliated clubs.

You should also check out the M1 forum on [url]www.jouster.com[/url], there are many very knowledgable people there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends on what your looking for in a target/plinking rifle.

I've purchased from both fulton armory and the dcm(now known as the cmp).

[b]You cant go wrong with either really.[/b]

If your looking for a rebuilt cherry looking gun. fulton armory is your answer.

If your more into function than appearance.
A rebuilt gun from the CMP is the way to go.

The only meaningful difference though. Is you actualy have to earn a CMP rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top