Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
2/21/2020 11:35:28 PM
Posted: 11/8/2012 7:30:44 AM EST
Don't want a Mac. Do want lightweight, portable. Decent size screen, 13" is probably as low as I would want to go. Needs bluetooth. I do not do gaming or cad cam, so it does not need to be top end. Under a grand, but around $700 would be preferable. The notebook I am replacing runs hot, I would prefer the new one not leave a red mark on my thigh (go ahead and joke).

What do you suggest as to models, features, what is important, what is fluff?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:25:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/8/2012 9:33:08 AM EST by cruze5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:19:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
Don't want a Mac. Do want lightweight, portable. Decent size screen, 13" is probably as low as I would want to go. Needs bluetooth. I do not do gaming or cad cam, so it does not need to be top end. Under a grand, but around $700 would be preferable. The notebook I am replacing runs hot, I would prefer the new one not leave a red mark on my thigh (go ahead and joke).

Thanks

I don't think there is anything that meets all your requirements. Thin form factors have drawbacks, which mostly relates to thermal performance.

I'd look into a lenovo x2230, best overall computer in that category.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:13:49 PM EST

Thanks

Sony VAIO T Series SVT13122CXS 13.3-Inch Ultrabook.

Ultrabook is an awesome form factor. The Sony comes with a Ivy Bridge Core i3 with a hybrid hard drive. It's a solid computer and you will be more than happy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:51:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/11/2012 3:10:11 PM EST by GLOCKshooter]
I have been advised to hold out for "cyber Monday" which is apparently the Monday after Thanksgiving. That gives me time to look around.

Also looks like a SSD is better than a regular hard drive or a hybrid.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:45:08 AM EST
Done. How'd I do?

The ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E 13.3-inch ultrabook is a PC that's hard to top in the looks department. Its strong but light aluminum body is accentuated by a unique "spun" finish on its polished surfaces, and it's a razor-thin 0.70 inches thick and weighs just 2.9 pounds.

• Durable 128 GB solid state drive enables faster startups and application launches than hard disk drives
• Tough, rigidly made unibody frame is enhanced by a shiny, brushed-metal finish
• Micro HDMI port lets you expand your entertainment possibilities on an HDTV
• Battery life of 6.5 hours* gives you plenty of time away from a power outlet
Items: $779.90
Shipping & Handling: $8.49
––––––
Total before tax: $788.39
Estimated tax to be collected:* $0.00
––––––
Order Total: $788.39
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:17:01 AM EST
Done. How'd I do?

The ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E 13.3-inch ultrabook is a PC that's hard to top in the looks department. Its strong but light aluminum body is accentuated by a unique "spun" finish on its polished surfaces, and it's a razor-thin 0.70 inches thick and weighs just 2.9 pounds.

• Durable 128 GB solid state drive enables faster startups and application launches than hard disk drives
• Tough, rigidly made unibody frame is enhanced by a shiny, brushed-metal finish
• Micro HDMI port lets you expand your entertainment possibilities on an HDTV
• Battery life of 6.5 hours* gives you plenty of time away from a power outlet
Items: $779.90
Shipping & Handling: $8.49
––––––
Total before tax: $788.39
Estimated tax to be collected:* $0.00
––––––
Order Total: $788.39

You bought last year's model.

This is the comparable current version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230467

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:02:37 AM EST
The one you posted is not SSD
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:36:39 AM EST
The one you posted is not SSD

Is uses a hybrid HDD + SSD cache setup. You wont find a current model zenbook with an SSD under the ~$900 range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:21:07 PM EST
Which is why I bought a slightly older model. SSD was more important than bleeding edge.
Top Top