Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 1:21:41 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I moved a couple weeks ago and purchased a new bed. I purchased it off the floor for 10% discount (wasn't worth it) and when I got it home I noticed some of the seams were frayed/ragged. Now I don't mean just a little frayed but where part of the fabric is seperated at the seam.

So I call the place back the next business day and the sales guy basically tells me I'm fucked but that the 15 year warranty will still be applicable, although I don't  think they will uphold  it if there's no fabric on the matress.

I realize I screwed up by buying it off the floor and for only 10% off, and my idea was to try and contact someone higher up than Bob the sales guy (that's his name) and his dimwitted manager who's 'been there for over 8 years' but I dont' know where to start as obviously calling the store back isn't going to get me anywhere and I don't have any other numbers.

Bob also told me that they have a 30 sleep guarantee, in which I could exchange the mattress for another if it didn't suit me (too firm too soft etc), but I'm thinking if I play this card they are going to tell me to shove it.

Ideas? BTW The company is Oak Express.

Update below - Resolved
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the 30 day sleep guarantee FIRST!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I will try that first but assuming that doesn't work (I have a feeling they will try and feed me a line)...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell them it hurt you back last night and you want to exchange it.
Before you exchage it.......on it you must stick pooper, pics.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will try that first but assuming that doesn't work (I have a feeling they will try and feed me a line)...

Quite honestly, they either have the policy or they don't.  There is no reason that you won't be able to get them to honor it, unless you already complained about the thing to the guy, and he remembers you.  Wait a week or so, THEN conplain about your back.

Like the Seinfeld episode:  "Nope, sorry, You said spite!"
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What a crock! They certainly should accomodate you and let you AT LEAST exchange it!

If they won't I'd definitely go for the 30 day sleep guarantee. If that doesn't work then I'd just go up the chain of command until someone does something. If you make enough stink about it they will likely do something for you.

I just can't stand it when businesses try and take advantage of their customers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
It  just really pisses me off because the model I got is the pillow top and the only other real alternative is to get a more expensive pillow top that would be more 'comfortable' () or go with a firm mattress. If I try to exchange it for another Pillow Top I don't think that's gonna fly. And freaking $500 is not a easy purchase for a college kid who makes <$200/month after expenses and room and board.

ETA and most of that 200 goes towards gas...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a crock! They certainly should accomodate you and let you AT LEAST exchange it!

If they won't I'd definitely go for the 30 day sleep guarantee. If that doesn't work then I'd just go up the chain of command until someone does something. If you make enough stink about it they will likely do something for you.

I just can't stand it when businesses try and take advantage of their customers.

+1 BIGTIME

If you new the margin the furniture companies have on that stuff, you would shit your pants.

Tj

Maybe why they have a sign on their window advertising sales jobs for ~60k?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok so I just got off the phone with Oak Express and when I inquired about the 30-day sleep guarantee the lady I spoke with went through the steps of finding my purchase info and blah blah blah. It's going good so I think there may be no hitches, and then "Ok Mr. Sammich please hold."

SHIT! She comes back and says they can't do the 30-day sleep guarantee because I purchased the item off the floor and that it only pertains to New-Order items, which I'm assuming to mean stuff they have to order, which I'm also assuming to mean, not to the 'New' stuff in the back that isn't on the floor (which seems like a contradiction but I'll bring that up again when they call back).

I then said to her, "So you're not going to honor your store policy, even though it isn't posted anywhere in the store that it only pertains to new order items and I wasn't informed of this by my salesman'"? Then she says (obviously stalling because she's just as new as Bob the Salesman, to consult with the manager) that she'd have to have Bob call me back. I asked her if he was in today (not wanting to get shafted past my '30 days' by him not calling me back on time, she say's yes and that he'd call.

So now I'm waiting for the call. I know they are thinking up some BS scam to try and tell me more lies or more shit about what I did[nt] do while at the store. What should I tell them/say to them when(if) they call back? I really think they are trying to screw me because they think I'm just some dumb kid who will give up eventually.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Ask to speak to the owner

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I would take the mattress, drag it back into the store, douse it with gasoline, and set it on fire to let them know how you really feel.  Don't worry about not having a mattress though, the county should provide you with one at that point.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU land on Plymouth Rock, don't let Plymouth Rock land on you (to quote that horrible movie)

Take the matress back to the store, drop it off out front, go in and demand that they resolve the issue that day.  Talking on the phone is only going to get you the line of BS that you are expecting.  Going back to the store is going to force the issue.  Preferably go when they have alot of customers in the store - don't be an ass about it (unless you have to), but having an unhappy customer in there while other people are shopping is not going to be good for their business.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't win, bust out your welder and show them who's boss:

www.killdozer.us:/

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Alright I'll stop by there mattress in hand, in a mattress bag of course don't want any lame stuff about me intentionally damaging it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The next time you buy something used,  inspect it for damage before you pay for it and get it home.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless you signed a waiver stating that the item was sold "as-is" they should replace the mattress for you, this is clearly beyond the definition of it being a "floor model", if they refuse to make it good, take it to Small Claims Court!  

While you wouldn't expect a floor model to be perfect, this is beyond the normal expectations of condition.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
You might also want to talk to someone in the county or state department of consumer affairs (assuming you have one) and find out your legal standing.  They might actually help you with this.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]
You tore that tag off didn't you
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#19]

The next time you buy something used,  inspect it for damage before you pay for it and get it home.

I most certainly will.

You tore that tag off didn't you

LOL

Ok, so I got half way there and my phone rings, I pick up and Bob informs me that after speaking with the manager they have decided to take the mattress back and get me a new one. I think this is/was a good thing for them because when i arrived their parking lot, although small, was full and the store was packed. So I get to keep this one until my new mattress comes in and then I will swap with them.

Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome - congratulations!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I still think it would have been more fun to set it on fire at the store.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Bargain Hunting entails a certain Risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top