Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2001 9:34:02 AM EDT
Hey can anyone give me some advice on a handgun purchase.  Right now I am considering the Glock 22C.  You can check it out here.

[URL]http://www.glock.com/te_english.htm[/URL]

[URL]http://www.glock.com/g22.htm[/URL]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Seeing as how you're in CA, I may have some bad news for you. The G22 Compensated model is not on the "approved handgun list" in CA. Unless they've revised it lately. However the G22 non compensated is. I have one of these myself and love it. 500+ rds and still going like it was right out of the box. My sights shoot a lil low though.

Have you ever shot Glocks? The trigger is perfect for me. However, some people do not like the Safe Action feel to it.

BTW welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I already looked and the 22C is on the list.  You can look for yourself.  

[URL]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm[/URL]

I've read the 22C has about a 5.5lbs trigger pull, which sounds like just the right amount for a personal defense handgun.  I should probably try to rent one and take it up to the range and see if I like it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
So you like Glocks huh? I personally love my Glock 26 (9mm) for everyday/offduty/backup/concealed/all around carry.

Glocks in general are very dependable guns that require minimal care...just feed it good ammo and you're good to go (that's why the NYPD and the majority of other Police Dept.'s use em).
You really can't go wrong with a Glock purchase

Also check out Glock Talk for advice.

Whatever you decide to purchase, practice,practice,practice!!!!

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for referring me to Glock Talk.  It looks like an excellent forum.

Do you really think that the 9mm has enough stopping power to truly be considered a personal defense handgun?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yea I already looked and the 22C is on the list.  You can look for yourself.  

[URL]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm[/URL]

I've read the 22C has about a 5.5lbs trigger pull, which sounds like just the right amount for a personal defense handgun.  I should probably try to rent one and take it up to the range and see if I like it.
View Quote

Holy shizkabob, they've added quite a few since I looked at it last(FEB) I would suggest shooting one first. I hear a lot of people complain about the trigger, though I don't know why.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Your on the right track. First do the research to find what is "supposed" to be the better item. Build a top 5 or 10 list. Than visit a number of different ranges and rent the different ones on the list to see which works best for you.

Although this can be potentially expensive, in the long run, you will know exactly what you are getting.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Just my 2 cents.

Don't get the compensated model. Its not worth the extra money. I personally wouldn't buy one if they were the same price. The bright flash, extra noise, and extra filth deposited inside the gun just make me think they aren't worth it. I have heard alot of people who have them talk about getting the aftermarket barrels without the holes so that the dont have all of these problems. I have two glocks 9mm and 45. I love em. They are very good and I have never had a problem with either. Have fun with what ever you chose.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get the ported model...too much flash, too much debris blown back in your face.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
purchased a Glock 36 about 4 months ago and have no complaints. I plan on purchasing a 21,19,and 26[pistol]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for referring me to Glock Talk.  It looks like an excellent forum.

Do you really think that the 9mm has enough stopping power to truly be considered a personal defense handgun?
View Quote

Absolutely...load it up with Speer GDHP's
Those wuss SEAL guys are using the weak 9mm round still right???
Recoil is less than 40S&W, .45, and .357Sig = faster follow up shots.

If you can hit what you aim at you'll be in fine shape.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Sigs rule, and they don't go........
[size=4]KABOOM[/size=4]

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, what these guys said.......

I would recommend the Glock 22 over the 22C.  I've used both and while the 22C is OK during daylight hours, I found it to be somewhat flash-blinding at dusk or after.  Also, Glocks are inherently fast on target with repeat shots due to their design (low bore axis relative to the hand).

In reference to your "stopping power" question, modern, good quality 9mm JHPs have PLENTY of power to be considered viable personal defense/law enforcement rounds, even from the shorter barrel of a Glock 26.  The Glock 17 is one of the most formidable LE/defense handguns ever made, and it's a 9mm.  

Anyway, I'd say go with the Glock 22.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
www.sigarms.com
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#14]
what does JHP stand for?

what does LE stand for?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#15]
quote from waverunner:

"Those wuss SEAL guys are using the weak 9mm round still right???"

very obvious that you havent met a "SEAL guy" as you call 'em. wuss is not an adjective i would use around them. just friendly advice kid.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Jacketed Hollow Point
Law Enforcement

You might want to consider the HS2000 instead. They are basically (I said bascially before anyone blows a fuse) the same gun and cost less than half as much as the Glock.
Personally I do not care for the Glock and do not care for the 9mm as a defense round. But opinions vary. Welcome to the board and the gun world.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I have my eye on the .45 glock 21, but I see that it's Auto which I imagine is illegal.  Do they sell a semi-auto version of the glock21?  If so I might rather have the .45 rather than the .40 glock 22.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm no expert on firearms, but I highly recommend anything that's made from pot metal:

Bryco Arms Jennings Nine CA / Zinc Die Cast
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well I have my eye on the .45 glock 21, but I see that it's Auto which I imagine is illegal.  Do they sell a semi-auto version of the glock21?  If so I might rather have the .45 rather than the .40 glock 22.
View Quote

Auto loading maybe and not Full Auto. I could be wrong, but as far as I know only the Glock 18 is the only full auto Glock made.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
quote from waverunner:

"Those wuss SEAL guys are using the weak 9mm round still right???"

very obvious that you havent met a "SEAL guy" as you call 'em. wuss is not an adjective i would use around them. just friendly advice kid.
View Quote

You seem to miss my odd brand of humor...what I'm saying is that if 9mm is good enough for the SEAL's (Whom I highly regard...my Filipino family is 100% Navy) it's good enough for me. Trust me, I respect all the spec op units of all US military forces and view them in awe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hi!
I reccomend you take a look here
[url]www.sigtalk.com[/url]

GREAT SITE!
View Quote
I agree.  SEALs use Sigs, rejected Glocks.  Said they could fire Sigs coming out of the surf, whereas Glocks would not work in same conditions.  They also use 9mm.  Must be good enough.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
etron, please do not take offense at this but based on your post you may wish to hold off on your purchase before jumping into it. I know that is what you are doing here and it is a good idea and a start in the right direction. You should probably go to a range where they rent guns and check out several of them.
Keep asking question here and keep checking. I'm sure in the end you will find something that you will be happy with.
No offesne to this board either but you might want to ask some questions on some boards that have dedicated forums for revolvers, semi-autos and general handguns such as [url]www.thefiringline.com[/url] and [url]www.familyfriendsfirearms.com[/url]. Take your time. The looking is almost as much fun as getting the gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are being facetious, right?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I ahve instructed many people over the years.

I always tell them to look for two factors when selecting a weapon:

1. find the weapon you can shoot most
    accurately and naturally.

If you cannot hit the target with your
 weapon, it does not matter how expensive
 or well hyped it is.  People have different
 sized hands, wrists, builds, etc.  Get
 what fells best and works best for you.
 Go out to a range and try lots of different
 weapons before you decide to buy.

2. find the weapon that you really like to
    shoot.

If you don't enjoy shooting the weapon,
 what's the purpose?

If the gun has these features, it is probably a good choice as long as it has decent stopping power.

I'm not personally fond of Glocks or Barettas, but they are excellent choices just the same.

I am fond of Sig Sauer autos, and Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers.  I shoot these well, but what works for me is irrelevant.

Get what works for you.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

In this case, "auto" means "semi-auto."  The only [b]factory[/b] fully automatic Glock is the Glock 18 (9mm).

The Glock 21 is perfectly legal.  However, I don't know if it's on Kalifornia's 'approved handguns' list.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Auto loading maybe and not Full Auto. I could be wrong, but as far as I know only the Glock 18 is the only full auto Glock made.
View Quote

[b]Lordtrader[/b], you're right if you only look at Glock [i]factory[/i] guns.

However, any Glock can be converted to full auto.  They'd all be post-86 dealer sample guns, but it can be done.

Actually, I remember hearing that at least 1-2 Glock 17 pistols were converted to full-auto-only before the 1986 ban.  I've got no proof of it, but it's been mentioned here, on Subguns.Com, and over at GlockTalk.  So, it's either true or it's a well-traveled rumor.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Look up^^^^^
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
SIG P226 / 9mm - Combat proven the world over!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Look up^^^^^
View Quote
I swear your answer wasn't there when I posted this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I just went down to my local range and handled the p226 9mm sig.  i also handled the glock 9mm g17.  the thing i noticed, besides the fact that they were both very nice to handle, was that the sig was alot heavier than the glock.

then i also handled the .40 caliber version of the sig, and the .40 caliber glock g22.  the same thing was true here as well, the sig is alot heavier than the glock.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I'm still thinking of going with the Glock 22.  But I just saw that there are other .40 caliber Glocks available.  The Glock 35 Practical/Tactical and the Glock 24 Competition.  Is the 35 or 24 reccommended for personal defense purposes?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Go find the same gun or any glock at a rental range, or just look around and ask someone if you can try theirs out. Shoot one first! Glock triggers aint for everybody!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Very much so, I'd say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top