Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2002 2:51:39 PM EDT
OK, my original post

"Just starting up, got my rifle and scope, but now I'd like to know if there are any really good "How-To" or "for beginners" books or articles out there that follow a nice, step-by-step methodological approach to teaching how to shoot medium to long-range, as well as advice on recordkeeping.

Thanks for the help, guys!"

was apparently not politically correct due to some unknown reason.  So, let me try to reword this in a non-offensive manner:

"Hi, I'm new to shooting bench-rest bolt action rifles, and I want some advice on a good book that will help educate me.  Any help will be appreciated, as well as any links to sites with a step-by-step list of training, books, articles, etc.  Thank you."

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
[b][size=3]No, Greywolf2112, it really is [u]nothing[/u] of the sort. There is a forum on this Board that is called: 'Tactics and Training' and another forum called: 'Competition Shooting and the Accurate AR.'

Did you ever think to go post your questions there?

No. I bet you didn't.

Well, you will now.[/size=3][/b]

Eric The(Cretina!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Poor phrasing and timing. Please take the hint. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, if I posted this on the wrong forum, I apologize.  I figured that this was the best area to get the most response.

However, if someone got their panties in a wad because they somehow misinterpreted my post (I want to know how the "F" someone could interpret my post as "Hi, I want to learn how to kill people with my sniper rifle like that cool dude in Maryland".  WTF is wrong with some people?  

Could someone PLEASE explain what is so offensive or wrong with my original request?  How could I have cleaned it up or made it any less-offensive?  My wife has a degree, with honors, in English, and she's sitting here with her mouth open, at a loss for words as to how ANYONE could have read something into my original post.

Sorry to lose my head at this, but why does everything someone posts these days have to be run through the "PC" filter for even the slightest amount of perceived offensiveness?

Grey "the confused and disgusted" Wolf

PS - Got the hint, among other things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m not a competition shooter, so take my advise with a grain of salt.  

Randolph Constantine’s rather massive 600-plus page book “Modern Highpower Competition” has a great deal of info in it.  

However, this does not deal with true bench rest shooting and is focused mostly on iron sight shooting.  He has quite a bit of info on developing skills as you attend matches and progress through the different ratings.

You might want to check out [url]www.precisionshooting.com/[/url] which carries this and several other similar books, plus publishes a couple of different magazines.

Don’t know if this is quite what you’re looking for.  You might also want to check out the NRA website.

As far as the other issue, I’m afraid some of us have a deep sense of foreboding right now.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the help, 199.  I look forward to more opinions and advice concerning the questions I asked.

As for "foreboding", if we all freaked out and stopped discussing normal shooting and gun topics everytime some criminal misused a firearm (and we aren't even sure what kind of firearm was used), this would be a pretty boring message board.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top