Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/3/2006 3:58:27 PM EDT
I am considering using some extra money I have lying around to buy some land in FL. I live in the Tampa area, but am concerned with future rising costs (mostly home insurance) as well as overcrowding in this area, crime, traffic, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on where I might find some good land deals (can be anything under 1 acre, as I don't want to have to care for too much in my old age) that I can, if I wanted to, put a manufactured home on, or just something that perhaps might appreciate in value so that if I decide to stay where I am, I can sell it in the future?

Should I check with agents, or in local papers, etc.? Any advice on how to "buy land" with do/don't you have learned over the years?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:02:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:
I am considering using some extra money I have lying around to buy some land in FL. I live in the Tampa area, but am concerned with future rising costs (mostly home insurance) as well as overcrowding in this area, crime, traffic, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on where I might find some good land deals (can be anything under 1 acre, as I don't want to have to care for too much in my old age) that I can, if I wanted to, put a manufactured home on, or just something that perhaps might appreciate in value so that if I decide to stay where I am, I can sell it in the future?

Should I check with agents, or in local papers, etc.? Any advice on how to "buy land" with do/don't you have learned over the years?

Check by the outskirts of Ocala. I'm looking to buy some land too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:10:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zer04evr:

Check by the outskirts of Ocala. I'm looking to buy some land too.

That IS one of the areas we were considering - looks like some decent values, and insurance and taxes are lower than here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:11:40 PM EDT
An acre isn't enough. You think so, but once you get on an acre, you realize that it's too crowded and you need more. If you are buyign bare land, bare land is cheap (sometimes for a reason), and 5 to 10 acres will feel a lot less crowded and give you a lot more options later.

Brian
who went from a condo to a house to an acre and who wants 160+ acres now.[
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:19:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
An acre isn't enough. You think so, but once you get on an acre, you realize that it's too crowded and you need more. If you are buyign bare land, bare land is cheap (sometimes for a reason), and 5 to 10 acres will feel a lot less crowded and give you a lot more options later.

Brian

I used to think that, but I've had a few acres, then went to 1/2 acre heavily wooded in the city (very private, actually, though convenient) to .20 acres in FL. I don't want too much since then I'd have to mow it, care for it, pay more taxes on it, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:27:01 PM EDT

Brian

I used to think that, but I've had a few acres, then went to 1/2 acre heavily wooded in the city (very private, actually, though convenient) to .20 acres in FL. I don't want too much since then I'd have to mow it, care for it, pay more taxes on it, etc.

speaking of very private I saw the bumpasses yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:30:53 PM EDT
Just don't buy any land immediately adjacent to an existing major roadway. Odds are as development occurs the road will be widening and require "taking" some of your property, or result in an large thouroughfare right next to your place.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:35:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SigSaurP228:

Brian

Holy crap - where? At the house?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:38:13 PM EDT

Brian

Pffft. A measley 160 acres. Shoot son, down here we measure land in sections.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:43:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 338winmag:

to a house to an acre and who wants 160+ acres now.[

Pffft. A measley 160 acres. Shoot son, down here we measure land in sections.

pfft, that's cuz you can't grow jackpoo on it, but mesquite and cactus.
Yep, I dun got me a big old ranch here in texas, got me 800 square miles.
How many cows do you run?
twenty.

Brian (with way too many relatives to count all over Texas. )
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
www.realtor.com

Search that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:58:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SigSaurP228:

Brian

Holy crap - where? At the house?

Yep Momma Daddy, and their precious little angel of a son. They went inside and were out again very quickly, gone in less than 5 minutes. Hope that list I Imed you helps with your property search.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:04:14 PM EDT
Figure what you can spend for an acre, and GOOGLE It . (Land less than $1000. an acre in whatever county) you may be suprised. blade409
Top Top