Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:47:40 PM EDT
I am currently staying in Japan due to work.
I want to send money to America to pay for house insurance and other stuff.
Having contacted the local bank, I was told that it would cost about $70 and 5 weeks for the money to reach its destination.
The money has got to get there within 2 weeks for my house to continue being insured.
I am thinking about getting cash and sending it by mail which only costs $10 and 12 days.
What I would like to know is if it is legal to do so. If the money is found by the customs, would it be confiscated? Would there be any other problems to consider?
From the Japanese side, if the amount of cash is under $18000, it is legal.
Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I would never ever dream of sending cash in an envelope... let alone for anything critical.  Have the bank draw a certified check, and send the check overnight via FedEx or UPS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Wire transfer.

Duh.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I put on my "Lawyer Hat" for this?

Read the above posts, both of those will work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would never ever dream of sending cash in an envelope... let alone for anything critical.  Have the bank draw a certified check, and send the check overnight via FedEx or UPS.

I thought of both cheques and wire transfer.
The cheque idea would work but for the fact that overnight service does not exist (it takes about 10 days to pass through the US customs, normal registered mail is somehow much quicker) and I do not have access to a cheque book here.
The wire transfer also takes about 5 weeks to get to its destination.

Thanks for the advice though

Edited to say that I have fully researched ways of sending money.
I have considered credit card, cheques, cash, wiretransfer, travelers cheques, and such.
The only ways that will work are me going back to America which I cannot do or cash(travelers cheques) by mail.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wire transfer.

Duh.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Call the US embassy and see if they know how to wire funds 'right now'?
Put the insurance bill on a credit card?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Call the US embassy and see if they know how to wire funds 'right now'?

Good idea, thanks.
I will try that and see what advice they can give me.
At least I have learned a lesson from this.
Be prepaired for a 3 week contract to turn into a 2 month one
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Or have a friend pay it then you pay them.

Have your company pay it for you, then pay back the company. Did this for a trip to Italy 10 years ago. Company wrote a check, and I settled with them when I touched US soil.

If you are out of conus for business, your company should be able to take care of this for you, in your absence.

Of course, I had care packages sent to me while away. I missed some things I couldn't get here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Or have a friend pay it then you pay them.

Have your company pay it for you, then pay back the company. Did this for a trip to Italy 10 years ago. Company wrote a check, and I settled with them when I touched US soil.

Thanks for the advice, but as I work for myself presently, it is not an option.
I would like to get a friend to do it for me, but I do not have any friends who could lend me about $6000 for 6 weeks.

I contacted the US embassy and they advised that giving my situation, there is no wire transfer or sending services that will make it in time.

So it comes back to the original question.
If I send cash from Japan to the US by post would there be any legal issues?
If the money is found by the customs, would it be confiscated?
Would there be any other problems to consider?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Paypal the funds to a friend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
There's no Western Union in Japan? I get my kids Visa cards through my bank for gifts. I give them $105.95 and they give my kid a Visa card good for $100... American Express does this also for those who are traveling instead of carrying travelers checks...

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The cheque idea would work but for the fact that overnight service does not exist (it takes about 10 days to pass through the US customs, normal registered mail is somehow much quicker) and I do not have access to a cheque book here.

The bank can draw a certified check for you.  Send that check via the faster registered mail, and you also won't have the grief of waiting as long for it to clear since it's a certified check.  I'd try talking to somebody at a UPS or FedEx depot... it boggles my mind that it's somehow not possible for them to do an overnight document shipment from Japan.  That's kinda the business they're in, and I think that they can move things faster than that.

Aside from that, I hear that the Nigerians are very good at handling international wire transfers.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
snip

The bank can draw a certified check for you.  Send that check via the faster registered mail, and you also won't have the grief of waiting as long for it to clear since it's a certified check.  I'd try talking to somebody at a UPS or FedEx depot... it boggles my mind that it's somehow not possible for them to do an overnight document shipment from Japan.  That's kinda the business they're in, and I think that they can move things faster than that.

UPS or FedEx  can do the overnight if it was not for the US customs taking about a week to process in-coming mail.
Another reason to hate terrorism(like I didn't have enough already)

There is a Western Union in Japan, but the nearist branch is about 500 miles away so it is not an option.

A good idea about the payapal to  friend.
I will do that, but due to my credit card limit, I still have about $4000 left to pay.

I will send the rest by travelers cheques, and hope that the customs either don't notice, or don't confisicate them.

Thanks for your advice, everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top