Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 3:06:42 PM EDT
Well, time to bleed bank of SPECTRE of some cash because the old washer & dryer have finally given up the ghost.
We're looking at Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore etc...
Specifically, the Maytag Neptune series.
Any advice, thoughts reviews or warnings ??
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If only there was someone here who knew appliances more than your average bear...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Kenmore HE3t/4t for the washer, anything for the dryer (as funds permit)

Read the FAQ's first.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember DrFriDge say, front-loaders cause a lot of problems (i.e. leaking)

ETA: you may want to get his attention and ask him what make/models are good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Go take a look at these before you blow your fortune on those REALLY pricey machines.

Last year we had our very pricey, top of the line, five year old Kenmores die within a month of each other.  Even as I was preparing to replace the washer, the dryer began dying.

Because, I'm an engineer by trade and VERY cheap, I did a ton of research and asked our own inestimable Dr. Frige here ARFCOM what was the best brand.  Virtually every one of the folks in the know, including The Doc recommended that I get She Who Must Be Obeyed a set of these Kiwi Fisher & Paykel machines.  I did so about six months ago and I must say, they are correct.  The Kiwi washer and dryer are the schnizzle.  

Fisher & Paykel
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Second on Fisher & Paykel.  When my current set of Whirlpools die, I will replace them with F&P machines.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's all about the Duet, schnizzle of F&P notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go take a look at these before you blow your fortune on those REALLY pricey machines.

Last year we had our very pricey, top of the line, five year old Kenmores die within a month of each other.  Was it a faulty product or a Navy exercise gone wrong or terrorists with MANPADS? Sears claimed a "detergent/air explosion" in the tub, but I'm not so sure... Even as I was preparing to replace the washer, the dryer began dying and showed red missile propellant residue. Coincidence? I think not.

Because, I'm an engineer by trade and VERY cheap, I did a ton of research and asked our own inestimable Dr. Frige here ARFCOM what was the best brand.  Virtually every one of the folks in the know, including The Doc recommended that I get She Who Must Be Obeyed a set of these Kiwi Fisher & Paykel machines.  I did so about six months ago and I must say, they are correct.  Trust me. Trust the NTSB. Trust the government. The Kiwi washer and dryer are the schnizzle.  

Fisher & Paykel

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I remember DrFriDge say, front-loaders cause a lot of problems (i.e. leaking)

ETA: you may want to get his attention and ask him what make/models are good.

That is what the good doctor told me too.

For you youngsters...front loaders were all the rage throughout the late '40s and early '50s.  When I was a kid, my mom had a Whirlpool front loader.  Good thing it was in the garage, because she got [soapy] water all over the place when she changed out the loads.  In those days, you just added a bit of water and some more soap and kept washing.  In the early '60s, top loaders became popular and have remained so ever since.

F&P have about 20 new patents on their washer and dryer.  Trust me, they are GREAT machines.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, we have the Duet in the washer and dryer. The good duet washer. The one that heats to 151F. Pull the trigger on the Duet's. They work great. I go my work uniforms in them and they come out better than when the uniform company does them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to replace my washer and dryer recently too.

After doing some reading and asking around I ended up getting a Maytag washer and a Whirlpool dryer.  I ended up spending $290 on washer and dryer was $140.  Maytag washer was 50% off because it was the discontinued model.  Dryer was the most basic model I could find as only about 30% of our clothes are dried in the dryer (most are hung) and lets face it, you don't need a fancy dryer.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last year we had our very pricey, top of the line, five year old Kenmores die within a month of each other. Was it a faulty product or a Navy exercise gone wrong or terrorists with MANPADS? Sears claimed a "detergent/air explosion" in the tub, but I'm not so sure... Even as I was preparing to replace the washer, the dryer began dying and showed red missile propellant residue. Coincidence? I think not.

Because, I'm an engineer by trade and VERY cheap, I did a ton of research and asked our own inestimable Dr. Frige here ARFCOM what was the best brand.  Virtually every one of the folks in the know, including The Doc recommended that I get She Who Must Be Obeyed a set of these Kiwi Fisher & Paykel machines.  I did so about six months ago and I must say, they are correct.  Trust me. Trust the NTSB. Trust the government. The Kiwi washer and dryer are the schnizzle.  

Fisher & Paykel

Ok...OK!  You got me!  I knew my know-it-all, pedantic style was beginning to wear thin...I just didn't realize how aggrivating I've become!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, time to bleed bank of SPECTRE of some cash because the old washer & dryer have finally given up the ghost.
We're looking at Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore etc...
Specifically, the Maytag Neptune series.
Any advice, thoughts reviews or warnings ??
Thanks

I've had the Neptunes for about a year, they're fine (but I did not do much comparative shopping). I think they're a lot better than the Kenmores I got rid of, but again, that's just anecdotal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a pair of LG's.
My friend has a set of Maytag front loaders, I like the LG's better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yup, we have the Duet in the washer and dryer. The good duet washer. The one that heats to 151F. Pull the trigger on the Duet's. They work great. I go my work uniforms in them and they come out better than when the uniform company does them.

The Duet's go up to 11
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I have IMed DrFrige and he'll probably be along soon.
I see fisher/paykel doesn't make front loaders.  
The BOSS is really wanting front loaders so lets find the best ones !!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Second Kenmores, HT3 or 4. I got HT3T, IIRC, and HT4 dryer.

ZPrior Kenmores were 13 when they gave up the ghost, both repairmen I talked to said stay with Kenmore.

Consumer reports rated them highly, as well.

I like them, but they are only 3 weeks old.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Duet's go up to 11

?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
HE3t is top-notch, but needs a couple of things checked to ensure longevity (relating to tightening down the level adjusting legs)

see the FAQ link above for more info.

other than that, they rock, my set is a couple of years old and running strong.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
There are only 3 brands to consider- and they are in proper order:

1/ Bosch
2/ Fisher Paykel
3/ Whirlpool Duet.

We have both the Bosch and the Duet front-load systems in our home (yes I have 2 sets of W/Ds) Before that I had a F/P Washer - top loader tho.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had the Kenmore He3/He4 washer & dryer for just over a year. So far, so good. Three teenage boys, the wife and I. When the kids wash clothes, they STUFF the washer. To date the appliances have been outstanding. On sale when I bought them and got good rebates... even picked them up and installed them myself but still expensive. I wanted to be able to wash comforters and large items which they do very well (I also have an old American Eskimo so he leaks hair all the time). I did get an extended warranty (5 years) just in case. This after messing with a very old Roper dryer that would start to heat up and was not turned on....  Out it went.  Been happy ever since. No leaks. Washer turns at 1200 rpm to remove the water from the clothes. I think the newer models run at 1300 rpm.

I am sure there are many good W/D units out there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been using my Maytag Neptunes for the past year, and couldn't be happier.  Can't get as big of a load into the front loaders as I'm used to with other models, but they really do a hell of a job.  It's recommended that you use High Energy (HE) detergent, which greatly lowers your options when buying detergent.  Hopefully you have a large grocery store, target, or wallmart near by.  If not, selection will be very limited in that case.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#22]
 I bought a Bosch front loader at Lowes last  week -$600  for the washer (gotta love scratch&dent) and $685 for the dryer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Duet's go up to 11

?

You see, most washers, you know, will be washing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your washer. Where can you go from there? Where?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#25]
What ever you buy stay the F away from Frigidaire, I just replaced a bear bearing on one today, and I've got 2 more in the shop with the same problem.

Maytag's not the best idea at the moment either, with they're future still in limbo.

Whirlpool's good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got the Maytag Neptune with the touch pad screen. Very pleased with it. They do cost more, however the savings in water and energy will pay for itself over the life of the machine standard washer will not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Depends what kind of clothes you wear. If you wear a lot of cotton, wool, silks, that kind of expensive cloth you need a Bosch front loader. It will clean everything very well and not beat up your expensive clothes so they will last longer. The custom settings make a difference. It heats up at different times dissolving proteins and then fats/oils. The Germans really think deep here. A big draw back is that they do not hold as much clothes as American washers but they are designed to clean your clothes in a scientific fashion. Lastly, the dryer is a little noisy compared to other Bosch products but if you can afford it go for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The HE3t rotating assembly is German-made. Controls are American.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I DO NOT like Front load washers I do not like them at all
I do not like to work on them, I dont dance with them at a ball
I do not like front loaders, I treat them with disgust
I can always rely on them to flood when they bust.

No I do not like front loaders a pain in the ass to fix
I would rather be covered with head lice, leeches, tarantulas and ticks
No I would rather pet a spider than have a front loader
A pet spider in deed.
A TOP LOADER is what you want and of course is what you need!

AHhhhhhhh that gives me a good DrSuess fix doesnt it?

Yes Fisher & Paykel is the way to go for washers, Pattymcn has a thread that she started in the womens forum... Dont ask me what I was doing there!

If water conservation is what you are looking for, These are the way to go because it KNOWS how much water to add... all you do is hit "start". What it does is uses resistance of the agitator against the clothes to know the amount so the level is always perfect.

What is the reason she wants a front loader? If she is DEAD SET on getting a front loader I would go with Bosch first then the Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid/Kenmore Front loaders... STAY AWAY FROM MAYTAG!!!

But dont forget that Austalian technology keeps the average homeowner in mind to fix their own appliances. Even though they use TOP NOTCH service companies for service, (DrFrige gives himself a pat on the back) They are still geared for homeowner repairs. You just call their 800# and they can walk you through most any diagnosis. PLUS their customer care number has live people answering 24 hours a day 7 days a week... Dont believe me? 1-888-9FNPUSA and NOT an answering service.

I cant say enough good things about them (as you can tell)

when I started my own business I did work for over 20 companies... includeing Bosch, Thermador and Gaggenau. Fisher& Paykel kept asking me to sign on but I kept saying no. One day I figured what the hell... see what they are about. I walked out of that meeting with my mouth dropped because of the technology. A year later, I ended up dropping Bosch, Gaggenau and Thermador because of the Customer Service and Tech assistance that F&P had to offer.

I am NOT getting any $$$ for referring them. (sure wish I was though) I do so because I believe in the product and the company.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been told that in a couple of years only frontloaders will be available (due to government mandated energy efficiency requirements).

It is already this way in Europe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I have never heard of this 'Fisher & Paykel' before. Where do you buy them?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have never heard of this 'Fisher & Paykel' before. Where do you buy them?

Lowe's now has them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Correction make that 4 in the shop with bad rear bearings and 1 with a bad drain pump.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I DO NOT like Front load washers I do not like them at all
I do not like to work on them, I dont dance with them at a ball
I do not like front loaders, I treat them with disgust
I can always rely on them to flood when they bust.

No I do not like front loaders a pain in the ass to fix
I would rather be covered with head lice, leeches, tarantulas and ticks
No I would rather pet a spider than have a front loader
A pet spider in deed.
A TOP LOADER is what you want and of course is what you need!

AHhhhhhhh that gives me a good DrSuess fix doesnt it?

Yes Fisher & Paykel is the way to go for washers, Pattymcn has a thread that she started in the womens forum... Dont ask me what I was doing there!

If water conservation is what you are looking for, These are the way to go because it KNOWS how much water to add... all you do is hit "start". What it does is uses resistance of the agitator against the clothes to know the amount so the level is always perfect.

What is the reason she wants a front loader? If she is DEAD SET on getting a front loader I would go with Bosch first then the Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid/Kenmore Front loaders... STAY AWAY FROM MAYTAG!!!

But dont forget that Austalian technology keeps the average homeowner in mind to fix their own appliances. Even though they use TOP NOTCH service companies for service, (DrFrige gives himself a pat on the back) They are still geared for homeowner repairs. You just call their 800# and they can walk you through most any diagnosis. PLUS their customer care number has live people answering 24 hours a day 7 days a week... Dont believe me? 1-888-9FNPUSA and NOT an answering service.

I cant say enough good things about them (as you can tell)

when I started my own business I did work for over 20 companies... includeing Bosch, Thermador and Gaggenau. Fisher& Paykel kept asking me to sign on but I kept saying no. One day I figured what the hell... see what they are about. I walked out of that meeting with my mouth dropped because of the technology. A year later, I ended up dropping Bosch, Gaggenau and Thermador because of the Customer Service and Tech assistance that F&P had to offer.

I am NOT getting any $$$ for referring them. (sure wish I was though) I do so because I believe in the product and the company.

WERD!  Doc...you still Da Man!  

<<See...Doc convinced me to buy She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed F&Ps and now She is a happy camper!  As any married man knows...when She is happy...EVERYBODY is happy!  >>
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Consumer reports had the HE3 or HE4 top rated and ALL top "dots"  The thing is a beautiful machine that simply amazes me every time we use it.  In fact it is som amazing, I literally spew myself every time I run it.  Its a vicious cycle really.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top