Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2007 11:42:59 AM EDT
The GF and I are thinking of getting a cat.  Biggest question I have is how do you keep it from clawing up the joint?  Would like to know if that's possible without getting them de-clawed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#1]
give him something to claw, and rub it with catnip
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
get it declawed or live with the damage

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I would do the above. I would save to de clawing to the last resort cause they say it can make them mean and if it is an outside cat it would have any means of getting up a tree or what ever..

Above as in Rubbing a post with cat nip
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
shoot it.  Works every time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Scratching post covered with catnip. If he starts to scratch anything else spray him with a water bottle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Scratching post covered with catnip. If he starts to scratch anything else spray him with a water bottle.

A super-soaker is one of the world's best cat-training devices....
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Water bottle works well

Also, ask your local vet about those claw covers.  I think they are some type of wax that can be applied to the claws once a year to prevent damage from scratching.  I do not personally have experience with these, my cat is not a destroyer!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't train a cat. We have 2 cats.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Train them since they are born. Get them ingrained to keep off couches and chairs and when they are doing wrong, hit them with a blast from a watergun. When you spray them, don't look at them like you would train a dog.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't get a cat.

Otherwise you can try a scratching post or pad or something, but once they pick a favorite spot on something while you're not there, it's hard to get them back to the scratching post because they'll just pick something else. The spray bottle works, but you have to be diligent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wives kinda nuts, we have 5. All you have to do is pick up the water bottle and the cats scatter as well as the rott.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wives kinda nuts, we have 5. All you have to do is pick up the water bottle and the cats scatter as well as the rott.
ours do too. But they never learn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you're doing it wrong.

I managed to...

Airsoft works well, a plastic BB in the cat's ass will cause him to sit up and pay attention, if you're out of range of the spray bottle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep him high on cat nip, thats what I do with mine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nonsense. I kept cats for years and years. If they're little kittens it's easy. You just get them a scratching post and when you see them scratching something else you just pick the little guy up and take him to his scratching post, sit him down, take his little front feet and drag them along the scratching post a few times. You know, like you're sharpening his claws for him. After a few days he'll know what the scratching post is for and use it from then on.

Rubbing catnip on it sounds like a good idea too, though I never did that.

You can even use this technique with adult cats. I've trained them like that, too. Plus, you an keep a water pistol handy and squirt the little dude when he latches onto your furniture. They learn from negative reinforcement and it's harmless, of course. One can tie a balloon onto a place they're not supposed to scratch. Once the balloon is "detonated," rest assured they usually won't scratch there again.

Regardless, don't cut your cat's fingers off. It's stupid and cruel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Water bottle works well

Also, ask your local vet about those claw covers.  I think they are some type of wax that can be applied to the claws once a year to prevent damage from scratching.  I do not personally have experience with these, my cat is not a destroyer!

They're like a rubberized plastic cap that is glued onto a trimmed claw with adhesive.

They're kind of a pain in the ass to put on, and depending on the cat they sometimes either fall off or they take them off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
catnip + scratching post + clip the claws every now and then.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It is tough. I think you have to accept a certain amount of damage, but attempt training. My cat, who is 17 now and still mean as a snake, just stopped doing it(scratching the couch) at about 10 years old and switched to scratching the carpet which is fine. They are good, low care pets. IMHO keep cat inside at all times, for a long lived, happy cat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Do not declaw them. It makes them piss everywhere to mark their territory (girls too) to make up for their defenslessness.

Be sure to put a scratiching pad by their food dish and litter box and maybe one near where they usualy sleep. The flat kind screwed to the wall works well. Make em from a 1x4 and carpet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't want to resort to de-clawing.  Besides, squirt gun training sounds like fun.  

Do they like to claw leather furniture, or not so much?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The GF and I are thinking of getting a cat.  Biggest question I have is how do you keep it from clawing up the joint?  Would like to know if that's possible without getting them de-clawed.

Yes it's possible:
1) make sure the cat has a scratching post that is tall enough for it to stretch out on. I get the 3-foot-tall ones with rope around them, after a year or so the rope is shredded but you can buy more rope cheap and re-wind it yourself.  
2) get the cat one of those big, tall carpet-climbing things, and they will stay off the curtains. It'll costs ~$200, and will need replacing every couple years unless you want to recover it with carpet remnants.
3) trim the claws a bit if you see or hear that they are snagging, such as while walking across carpeted floors.
~
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I know how..

Fuck cats. Don't get one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
having all 4 paws removed should do the trick
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Cat's won't learn by you yelling at them, and they are spiteful if you piss them off.  The best way to train them is to make any surface you don't want them scratching or jumping up on (kitchen counters) unpleasant to them.  You can put double sided tape on couch corners, they hate it.  Also put aluminum foil on countertops when you leave, they jump up, scare the living hell out of themselves, and won't do it again.  Basically you have to make them think it is their idea not to do something again.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
having all 4 paws removed should do the trick

Legs and head while you are at it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]

I bought that liquid catnip at Petco, cats LOVE it.

and for some Saturday night humor, spray it on one cat, and let em duke it out...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

and for some Saturday night humor, spray it on one cat, and let em duke it out...

Nice.. You should set the other one on fire for added thrills.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
www.woodruffforpets.com/pics/wr127.jpg

www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/8%5C8415341104B.jpg

Or put scotch tape on the underside of the paws...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I know how..

How does one do that?

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know how..

How does one do that?

Foot, vacuum cleaner, shovel, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a scratching post.  One of my cats loves it, one's too dumb to scratch vertically, and the other gets slapped whenever he claws the speakers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 4 cats, non of them claw anything up except for posts and carpet.  Just give them plenty of scratching posts and those sample rugs to scratch on and they will be happy.

Scratching is how cats strech and get exersize, it is very important for them to be happy and healty to have nails and be able to scratch.  Give them somthing to scratch and climb on and you will have both happy pets and keep your furniture from damage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The GF and I are thinking of getting a cat.  Biggest question I have is how do you keep it from clawing up the joint?

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The GF and I are thinking of getting a cat.  Biggest question I have is how do you keep it from clawing up the joint?

www.ritilan.com/archives/images/2004/09/16/091604-ar15.jpg

Thats a pretty ugly AR, right there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The GF and I are thinking of getting a cat.

What you mean is your GF wants a cat and you caved in immediately.  Now that we've got that straight, your choices are either put up with the cat clawing and pissing on everything, or grow a pair and tell the GF she's not getting a cat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The GF and I are thinking of getting a cat.

What you mean is your GF wants a cat and you caved in immediately.  Now that we've got that straight, your choices are either put up with the cat clawing and pissing on everything, or grow a pair and tell the GF she's not getting a cat.

No, she doesn't live here, but I've lived a long time with pets and do not have one at the time.  She likes cats, I like cats, so why not.  Is it OK with you?  I forgot I need your permission.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

No, she doesn't live here, but I've lived a long time with pets and do not have one at the time.  She likes cats, I like cats, so why not.  Is it OK with you?  I forgot I need your permission.

Ignore them, dude. Few things bring out the empty-headed crudfucks like the word "cat" in GD.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Either don't get it or shoot it.  That is the only way to be 100% safe from claw marks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Very simple. Everytime he scratches something, take him over to a scratching post that you bought at the store. Grab his paws and make him scratch the post. Then give him a treat. Eventually he will scratch the post exclusively, but you will need to reward him.

I have done this with every cat I have owned, and it works!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
shoot it.  Works every time.

shoot it with a .17HMR
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nonsense. I kept cats for years and years. If they're little kittens it's easy. You just get them a scratching post and when you see them scratching something else you just pick the little guy up and take him to his scratching post, sit him down, take his little front feet and drag them along the scratching post a few times. You know, like you're sharpening his claws for him. After a few days he'll know what the scratching post is for and use it from then on.

Rubbing catnip on it sounds like a good idea too, though I never did that.

You can even use this technique with adult cats. I've trained them like that, too. Plus, you an keep a water pistol handy and squirt the little dude when he latches onto your furniture. They learn from negative reinforcement and it's harmless, of course. One can tie a balloon onto a place they're not supposed to scratch. Once the balloon is "detonated," rest assured they usually won't scratch there again.

Regardless, don't cut your cat's fingers off. It's stupid and cruel.

THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And +1 on the "don't get your cat declawed". It is absolutely cruel. It is akin to cutting your fingertips off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#43]
We've had great success with cardboard scratching pads.  One in the bedroom, one in the living room.  So far, they haven't touched the furniture or trim.  
But if they do, double-sided tape works like a charm - their paws stick to it, and they don't like it.  
If that fails, you can use the SoftPaws or trim their nails periodically.

If you're thinking about declawing, please stop and do some research.  IMHO, It's a pretty damn cruel thing to do to a cat just for the sake of your furniture.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I love all this cat hating bullshit. I'm saving it into a nice big list to spam the fuck out of every dog thread for the next month.

The lack of class some of you assholes display is truly fucking astounding.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#45]
My cat only claws the corners of carboards boxes, so i just clip her claws every once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I love all this cat hating bullshit. I'm saving it into a nice big list to spam the fuck out of every dog thread for the next month.

They're intimidated by pussy of any kind, which is why they still live in Mom's basement.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

+1.  
You just simply don't see this kind of shit in dog threads.

I don't understand why people hate cats so much.  Do they require constant adoration from a pet?  Does a cat's aloof nature bruise their ego?  What is it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  

I don't understand why people hate cats so much.  Do they require constant adoration from a pet?  Does a cat's aloof nature bruise their ego?  What is it?

+1

I have real respect for pets that don't really need you for anything, yet still stick around because they actually like you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Scratching post covered with catnip. If he starts to scratch anything else spray him with a water bottle full of napalm
fixed
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:

Agreed. I love my cats and they keep the critters out. Pay $100 every three months to get the place sprayed for crickets/roaches/other small things? Hell no. Get a cat. Mine likes to play with the crickets and then the legs of the cricket comes off and he eventually "bleeds out" I suppose.

height=8
Quoted:
They're intimidated by pussy of any kind, which is why they still live in Mom's basement.  Holy

ETA

height=8
Quoted:
+1.  

height=8
Quoted:
+1

I have real respect for pets that don't really need you for anything, yet still stick around because they actually like you.

If they don't want to "play" with you, you can always follow them around and pester them. Yet they still come back to you later.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top