Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 9:49:42 AM EDT
Something like this is what I had in mind...

Currently have a wood burning fireplace with natural gas as a starter. I've heard that an insert with blower is much more effective.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a Quadrafire - I forget the model - largest one they had at the time.  Put in the work and you could heat 3400 sq feet with it (that is both floors of a split level).

Downside = it's dirty (wood, bugs, ash) and wood isn't that cheap anymore ($250 a cord of hardwood here), but it's great in a bad situation, cheaper than pellets (I also have a pellet stove) and looks nice (when you keep it clean).

Even if you don't use it that often, you have plugged a big air leak hole.

ETA: 5100i

30,000 BTU

Here
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll look into that.

Hedge here is plentiful and cheap. $50-$80 per rick.

The house does have a finished basement, main floor is only around 1300 s.f. not real sure on that number.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll look into that.

Hedge here is plentiful and cheap. $50-$80 per rick.

The house does have a finished basement, main floor is only around 1300 s.f. not real sure on that number.

hedge is what? brush thin twigs/sticks?
IMO, unless you have access to a source of cheap to free wood, a wood stove/insert will not pay for it self that fast.
it is nice to have in the event of a power outage, and makes the home feel warmer, also pets LOVE them.
i have a Enviro venice 1700
it heats my 3100 sq foot home very well. i need to have the furnace on when it gets below 0 F to keep up.
my highest gas bill this winter was $70 30-35$ is what it is in the summer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Firewood Comparison

Interesting info on firewood BTUs at that link.

Hedge apple trees make pretty decent firewood and require almost constant maintenance. Since used so prevalently around here for tree rows, many people will allow you to take what you cut as long as you are responsible.

Part of the reason I want an insert is that hedge is so readily available, but burns poorly in an open fireplace due to popping and sending sparks 2-4 ft shooting out.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go on over to hearth.com, there is a ton of info over there.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
We installed a Vermont Casting insert two years ago. Heating a 2,600 sf ranch with it. Last winter we used about 250 gallons of LPG for backup heat (and water heater). I get my wood free/cheap as I own a landscaping business.  We burn hedge at night since it lasts so long.  The wife loves the thing, but it is dirty with some ash dust and carrying wood in every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top